Young County TXGenWeb


Lower Brazos River
Indian Reservation Agency

In 1854 the U.S. Government surveyed and created the Lower Brazos River Indian Reservation of 68,120 acres in Young County or 10 square miles. The agency headquarters were located three miles east of Graham. Calaveras Street in Graham is the northeren boundary of the Indian Reservation.

At this reservation were placed members of the Anadarko, Caddo, Tehuacana, Tonkawa, and Waco, together with splinter groups of the Cherokee, Chocktaw, Delaware, and Shawnee. The Upper Brazos Indian reservation had Southern Comanche about 45 miles to the west in Throckmorton County. Under the guidance of U.S. agents, the Indians of the Lower Brazos River Reservation made much progress in agriculture, stock raising and other arts of civilization.

A post office was founded on the agency grounds by sutler Charles E. Barnard on 24 November 1857 which continued until its closing on 9 December 1859.

The first school in Young County was the Indian school located on the Indian reservation. The purpose of the school was for the benefit and education of the Indian children. Zachariah Ellis Coombes, Sr. was the teacher for the reservation school. He would later publish his diary, The Diary of a Frontiersman: 1858-1859 which is still prized by his descendants. He was employed by the U.S. Government at a salary of $800 per year. Federal records show Coombes was also Superintendent of Indian Affairs in Texas to supply food and lodging for those entering the reservation.

Drought and other adversities, however, led to the closing of the Reservation. Emptied in August 1859 when the Indians were removed to the vicinity of present day Anadarko, Oklahoma, by Indian Agent, Major Robert Simpson Neighbors. The reservation lands reverted to the State of Texas, and were opened to the pre-exemption of Texas citizens in 1871.

A historical marker to this former reservation is located in the Shawnee Springs Park in Graham, Texas.

More information on the Brazos River Indian Reservation can be found by asking Dorman Holub.

submitted by Dorman Holub



Sunday, March 15, 2009

© 2009

Email additions or submissions to Dorman Holub
txarchives@mac.com


Young County Archives | Young County Home | TXGenWeb | USGenWeb