Young County TXGenWeb
Brier Creek Community
Indian Mound Community
|The Indian Mound Community or Briar Creek Community was a cluster of farm houses located five miles northwest of Graham, between Graham and Jean off Hwy 1769.
The community is named for a large hill that old-timers claimed to have the graves of three indians at its peak.
The Indian Mound Baptist church was established in the community by 1900. According to county records, there were 54 members of this thriving congregation. The community also had a cemetery and a public school at one time.
There were three schools locations in Indian Mound at different times.
The first operated from 1885 until 1890 and was located near the cemetery.
The second was in the southwest corner of the Texas Emigration & Land Company Survey #624.
The last school was in the southwest corner of the T. E. & L. Company Survey #455.
A cemetery is all that remains of the Indian Mound community.
submitted by: Dorman Holub