Young County TXGenWeb
Brushy Creek Community
|Farmer was first called Brushy or Brushy Creek community and was located in the northeast part of Young County. The town was named in honor of Rev. William H. Farmer, an early Methodist preacher who came to that area by 1877.
Rev. William H. Casey became the first postmaster when the post office opened August 1878. The town was located in the Gal. and Br. Nav. Company Survey No. 118.
In 1889, Farmer was the largest town in Young County with a post office, school, three doctors, drug store, two hotels, boot and saddle shop, grist mill, cotton gin, barbershop, meat marker, tin shop and two weekly newspapers: the Farmer Headlight and the Farmer Courier.
The town had both Presbyterian, Methodist, Baptist and Christian congregations. The town had a cornet band and a local community school.
Early settlers buried in the cemetery include: Brown, Cantwell, Drum, Farmer, Short, Smith, Woolsey, Casey, Rippy, Stroud, Reed, Oatman, and Woods.
The town of Farmer started losing its prominence before 1900 following a drought in the area. In 1908, when the Gulf, Texas and Western Railroad bypassed the town going to Loving.
In January of 1921, the post office was closed and mail was moved to Jean, Texas.
Farmer, Texas is rich in history and there are many events in the history of Young County that continue to give the community prominence.
submitted by Dorman Holub