Young County TXGenWeb
|Bunger is located on Farm Road 1287 eight miles south of Graham.
The town was settled by two brothers, William Thomas Bunger and Sam Bunger in 1872. By 1879, John Casey settled west of the town on the Brazos River and constructed the second horse-powered cotton gin and corn mill in the county at a location called Caseyville.
When Caseyville was destroyed by a flood on the Brazos in 1893, most of the residents moved to Bunger or Gooseneck.
A post office was established at Bunger in 1909 and was closed in 1922. During the oil boom days of the 1920s, Bunger supported a three teacher school. The school consolidated with Graham in the 1940s. There were two churches in the community: a church of Christ and a Baptist church.
There were two school sites according to Young County records:
A wood frame building was located on the southeast side of the Bunger Road.
The second and last site was a rock building located across the road from the first school. That building is now a residence.
The church of Christ still has worship services every Sunday morning in their building that was built by 1921. The church of Christ has been in the Bunger area since 1872.
submitted by: Dorman Holub