Young County TXGenWeb
Fish Creek Community
The Fish Creek community began before the beginnings of the post off ice which began in September 1879 with Marion D. Wallace as the first postmaster. The community was located near Fish Creek just east of Murray on the north side of the "Old Wire Road" ten and one-half miles southwest of Graham. The mail was discontinued in March 1887 and mail was sent to Eliasville. The mail was distributed from the C.W. Townsend General Store located near the mouth of Fish Creek in the southeast corner of the F.G. Burnett Survey A-261.
The community was re-named Crozier in the 1890s for Graham's postmaster, Granville Henderson Crozier and later the area would be known as Komo Community
The first Fish Creek school was a subscription school located two and one-half miles from Murray on the Thomas Price land. Thomas Price was the first teacher. The first Fish Creek public school site was two miles southeast of Murray, in the southeast corner of Subdivision No. 9 on the Young County School land Survey, A-1285, known as the R.D. Tyra land. The last school site was at Murray and the school's name was changed to Murray.
The first Komo school was located 180 varas north of the southwest corner of the G. W. Hill Survey, A-151. The second school was in the northeast corner of the W. A. J. Akers Survey, A-1363. The final school was located on the M. E. Criswell Survey, A-1772, near the north boundary line and near the northeast corner of the W. Bellomy Survey, A-2131.
Nothing remains of this community.
Location of Fish Creek Baptist Church
Cornerstone of Fish Creek Baptist Church
Church building built 22 July 1901
submitted by: Dorman Holub