Young County TXGenWeb
|Drummond was located 12 miles west of Graham and 200 yards northeast of where the Miller Bend road intersects the Graham and Murray highway.
The town of Drummond was located on the Drummond farm which was along the west shore oft he Brazos River and extended several miles along the river. Drummond was three miles southwest of Newcastle and 12 miles west of Graham.
Col. Philemon Burgess Hunt and his brother, George Washington Hunt came from Fort Sill, Indian Territory where Col. Hunt was agent of the Kiowa and Comanche Indians from 1877. George Hunt was the first agency farmer and in charge of the agency schools.
In 1885, George and his brother, P.B. Hunt, opened and established the Drummond Farm. They were the sons of George and Catherine A. Burgess Hunt.
The ranch comprised of 5,000 acres and opened intending to breed Shetland ponies. After a few years, the pony culture was abandoned and the ranch was converted into a registered Short Horn breeding program. In 1890, they were advertising the stud services of a Northern Trotting Stallion by the name of "Nero."
In 1892, Col. P.B. Hunt was appointed United States Federal Marshal by President Harrison and moved to Dallas. in 1879, he was appointed as Internal Revenue Collector for the Fourth District in which he served until 1912 when he resigned.
Col. P.B. Hunt leased out the Drummond Farm in 1913.
A post office was established in Drummond in 1895 with Virgil E. Curtis as postmaster, but the service was transferred to Graham by 1909.
At one time the town included a general store, and gin. The gin burned in 1908.
Nothing remains of this community.
submitted by: Dorman Holub