Young County TXGenWeb


Gooseneck Community

Gooseneck [one of the earliest communities after the reorganization of 1874 in Young County] was a cluster of farm houses, a church builiding and a school located on a bend in the Brazos River about seven miles south of Graham [one miles east of Hwy. 1287].

The founder of the community was George Washington Fore who presided as Young County Justice of the Peace for a time. G.W. Fore gave land for the cemetery, school building and Baptist church building.

The Gooseneck Bend community school was located about two and one-half miles northeast of Bunger near the Gooseneck cemetery on the southeast corner of the W.A. Baker Survey Abstract No. 1293 and the G.W. Fore Survey, Abstract No. 103.

Early settlers in the area were Rev. Pleasant Tackett, who called the settlement Honey Bend, because of the numerous wild bees along the Brazos River. Other early settlers in the community were: W.A. "Bill" Ribble, F.M. McLaren, Bob Bird, Mark Meadows, Charlie Humphries and the Whittenburg family.

Buried in the Gooseneck cemetery is James James or "Double Jimmy", who was 114 years old when he died in 1878. He was the oldest man living in the United States at his death. At the age of 100 years, he plowed a 160 acre field with a single row plow and mule. James planted watermelons and harvested them all by himself.

Gooseneck cemetery and a tabernacle are all that remains of the community today.
submitted by: Dorman Holub



Sunday, March 15, 2009

© 2009

Email additions or submissions to Dorman Holub
txarchives@mac.com


Young County Archives | Young County Home | TXGenWeb | USGenWeb