Young County TXGenWeb
Hawkins Chapel Community
|The Hawkins Chapel Community or Bull Valley is located two and one-half miles north of Loving, off State highway 16.
S.J. Hawkins (1821-1908), whose parents came to Texas from Kentucky in 1846, brought his family to this frontier area in 1876. His brother, F.J. Hawkins and others soon joined him. Their pioneer community was centered at this site, where a school was built in 1879. A nearby brush arbor sheltered the annual summer camp meetings beginning in 1882. Hawkins Chapel Methodist Church building was erected in 1884, and the first burial in the Hawkins Chapel cemetary was in 1883.
There were several schools at different times.
The first Hawkins Chapel School was located in the R.M. Richardson Survey, Abstract No. 1525, near the cemetery. The second school was located in the northwest corner of a 75 acre tract of land out of the Susan Sallee Survey, Abstract No. 252. The first Lone Oak School was located on the boundary line between the southeast corner of the Texas Emigration & Land Company Survey, Abstract No. 991 and the northeast corner of the T, E & L Survey, A-996. This first Lone Oak School burned and a new school was built on the southeast corner of the T, E & L Company Survey, Abstract No. 986. The Lone Oak School closed in 1910 and the church in 1916, but the cemetery is still in use. Decendants of early settlers hold a reunion here each summer.
submitted by: Dorman Holub