Young County TXGenWeb
Henry Chapel Community
Filbuster Creek Community
South East Community
|The Henry Chapel Community was also known as Filibuster Creek Community and South East Community was located 12 miles southeast of Graham just off State Highway 16.
John R. Henry bought land in this area in 1874, and donated the land for the Methodist Church building. The Chapel was built in 1878, and John Henry acted as steward, preacher and Sunday school teacher for a number of years.
The Chapel also served as a school house until a new school building was built in 1914. The children of families who attended the school were along the Conner Creek and the Brazos River called the school "Mud College". County records indicate the highest attendance for the school was 31 scholastics. The 1914 Henry Chapel School was located just south of the north boundary in the B.B.B. & C. Railroad Survey Abstract No. 29.
The Filibuster School was held in a log cabin located about one mile north of the chapel.
The South East School was operated from 1878 until 1883 and was located in the O.T. Brown Survey, Absract No. 24 which places the school a mile from the southeast corner of Young County. Trustees for the school included J.C. Brown, Dudley Bunge and E. Robertson.
Early settlers in the area included the Lemly family and Crow family, whose sons John Lemly and Bill Crow were killed in the Little Salt Creek Battle of 1869.
The 1914 school was moved and used as a barn for many years until it was torn down.
Nothing remains of the community today.
submitted by: Dorman Holub