Young County TXGenWeb
Herron City Community
|Herron City was located along the south bank of the Brazos, on the Herron farm down the Brazos river from Oil City, and one mile north of Ming Bend, in the J. Abernathy Survey, Abstract No. 1360.
Herron City was one of a number of small shack-tent communities that grew-up from the oil boom of the 1920's. The town was founded in 1923. During its height, Herron City had Mann's garage, Ledbetter's grocery store, Calcer's Meat Market, The Star and Tumble Inn, several cafes, lumber yard, theatre and numerous gambling halls. There was no city government, no church buildings or schools, and no conveniences. For water, residents purchased barrels for one dollar each, and ice was seen only rarely. There was no law enforcement and residents all went armed. The law enforcement came mostly from the Young County sheriff who would arrest those for gaming or moonshine.
In 1925, the oil boom was over and the Herron Community was abandoned. During its heyday the Herron Community was known for its illegal liquor and dice games which were held on the streets on Sunday afternoon. Young County officials attempted to enforce prohibition, but in wilderness areas whisky stills produced regularly, and many men produced home made beer called chock. For religion, education and a cemetery, residents of Herron City used the facilities of nearby Ming Bend.
Today nothing remains of this town.
submitted by: Dorman Holub