Young County TXGenWeb
|Jean, Texas has been know by many names throughout its history in Young County. County records show the community as Lamar, Gray and Shinola as well. The town of Jean is located on State Highway 114 and FM 1769.
The area was settled in 1875 by S.B. Lamar, early Young County stockman. Records show that Lamar built a schoolhouse and mercantile store in the area. James T. Lamar, son of S.B. Lamar, became the first postmaster in 1906 of the community. He re-named the community, "Jean" after his favorite girl.
In 1903, when the Gulf, Texas and Western Railroad came through from Seymour, Baylor County, Texas heading for Jacksboro, Jack County, Texas, the town moved one mile to its present location.
R.F. Willis donated land for the town and the Trinity Townsite Company had use of alternating blocks for the railroad's progress. Jean had four brick buildings built in the 1920s to house a bank, drug store, mercantile houses and Masonic lodge.
At the railroad, G.G. Cantrill used his mercantile store for the railroad station.
Cemetery records show the following families in the Jean community: Cantwell, Duckworth, Gastkin, Lamar, Thompson, Ragle, Pratt, Weem, Simms.
The Gray School was located on the south side of Jean, in the southeast corner of the Texas Emigration & Land Company Survey, Abstract No. 787 which is near the home of Bob Sims.
The Lamar School or Shinola was located about one mile north of Jean on the west side of the Jean-Farmer Road, in the northeast corner of the T, E & L Survey, Abstract No. 891.
In the 1930s, a six room, six teacher school house was built. The building still stands and is used as a community center.
There is a cemetery, Baptist and Methodist church buildings and many inhabitants of the proud town of Jean, Texas.
submitted by: Dorman Holub