Young County TXGenWeb
|Jeffrey or Ingleside Community was located west of Orth. The community was established on the S.R. Jeffrey Ranch when the Wichita Falls and Southern Railroad was built. Originating around a stockyard for shipping cattle, it was an active community by the 1930's, with an attractive four teacher brick schoolhouse, a community band, a 20 member church, and an athletic field.
There were actually three Ingleside School locations over the years.
The first school called the Jeffrey School was located in the northeast corner of the Texas Emigration & Land Company Survey #51. The second was near the central part of the south boundary line of the T, E & L Company Survey #183. The final location was west of the southeast corner of the T, E & L Company Survey #200. Miss Mamie Keen was the first school teacher and the school ran through consolidation with other schools until its abandonment in 1944 when the pupils moved to Olney.
Nothing remains of this community today.
submitted by: Dorman Holub