Young County TXGenWeb
Lake City Community
|On November 3, 1879, Joseph Allen deeded four acres of land out of the southwest corner of the Joseph Allen Survey, Abstract No. 1662 for school purposes. In 1880 the Lake Valley Community School was located here. The trustees of this school included F.M. McGlothin, W.W. Edwards and Joseph Allen.
Much later Lake City was platted in the same area as a town along the west side of the Clear Fork of the Brazos River, approximately four miles southwest of South Bend near the W.W Harrison Home. It was one of a number of small communities that grew-up from the oil boom of the 1920's. At its peak it had several stores and a community school. Within two years of its founding the oil boom was over and Lake City was abandoned.
Nothing remains of the community.
submitted by: Dorman Holub