Young County TXGenWeb
|The community of Murray is located 20 miles southwest of Graham at the intersection of FM 578 and FM 209, known as the Graham and Throckmorton road in the early days. Murray was first settled by Thomas Price by 1874.
J.J. Murray followed Price and the pioneers purchased land in the area by 1875 according to D.D. Cusenbary, early day resident and long time Young County clerk. The Murray post office was established in 1880 and Mary C. Cusenbary was appointed post mistress on the opening day.
Murray has boasted of a post office, a school, a Baptist and Methodist church, mercantile store, blacksmith shop, gin, ball team and barber.
The first school in the area was the Fish Creek subscription school located two and one-half miles east of Murray using an old tumbling log cabin by an unknown builder on the Thomas Price land. Thomas Price, early day settler, was the first teacher. The second school was the Fish Creek public school site about two miles southeast of Murray in the southeast corner of Subdivision No. 9 of the Young County Land Survey, Abstract No. 1928 known as the R.D. Tyra land.The last school site was at Murray.
Pioneers of the community include: Price, Murray, Tyra, Mayes, Carmack, Walsh, Moreland, Harty and Cloud.
The cemetery, the volunteer fire department and the Methodist church building which was built in 1907 still exist in the proud town of Murray.
History of Murray Community
by D.D. Cusenbary