Young County TXGenWeb
|Padgett is located nine and one-half miles southwest of Olney on State Highway 79 or the old Olney-Throckmorton Highway. The community was named for Isaac Bird Padgett who came to the area in 1875. He planted the first wheat in the area, had the first threshing machine and built the first cotton gin.
Padgett had a gin, several church buildings, a two teacher school, post office, general store and several businesses.
All that remains of the town is a few ruins and the cemetery.
Among other pioneers of Padgett were the Bob and Adam Furr families, Eddleman, Durham, Vardy , Beckham and Tandy.
submitted by: Dorman Holub