Young County TXGenWeb
Pleasant Valley Community
|The Pleasant Valley Community or Shearer Community was a group of farm houses southeast of Olney and six miles northwest of Jean, on Highway 114. Shearer was named for early pioneer, W.G. Shearer.
The Baptist church had a membership of 44 and there was a two-room school in the community. The first location of the school was north of Jean and 700 varas west of the southeast corner of the Texas Emigration & Land Company Survey No. 1399. The last location is on the Texas Emigration & Land Survey No. 3401 on the north boundary line of that same survey and near the southwest corner of the Texas Emigration & Land Company Survey No. 1394.
At one time had a 17 member Baptist Church and a two teacher community school. The school was consolidated into the Jean and Olney schools.
Only the church building remains.
submitted by: Dorman Holub