Young County TXGenWeb
|True was originally called Liberty or Choat community and is located a mile east of State Highway 251, six miles norht of Newcastle. The town was platted by George Terrell in 1877 and his wife named the town, "True." The town was used as a gathering place for stockmen. One acre home sites were offered free to any settlers willing to cast their lot with the new found town. The community boasted of a post office, Richardson Cotton gin, two mercantile stores, drug store, blacksmith shop, rawhide lumber mill, Methodist church building and a four teacher brick school house.
The exact location of the Choat school cannot be found in Young County records. The 1893 school census shows Choat School as No. 38 which was the same number for both Liberty and True schools. Etta Whittenburg taught at the Choat school in 1893 and after that date, the Choat school does not appear in Young County records. In 1894, the name Liberty School appears with No. 38. By 1895, the name of Liberty school was changed to True school.
Pioneers of the True community buried in the cemetery include: Larimores, Choates, Taacks, Burris, Richardson, Terrell, Jones, Colley.
The post office was discontinued in 1912 when most of the settlers moved to Orth to be near the railroad.
The cemetery and the silent red brick school house is all that remains of the True community.
History of True Community
by D.D. Cusenbary