Young County Schools, Post Offices, Gins and Stores
by Daniel David Cusenbary
10 June 1882 - 28 December 1981

© D. D. Cusenbary family
Used by permission
1972.



NOTICE: These electronic pages may NOT be reproduced in any format for profit or presentation by any
other organization or persons without permission. Persons or organizations desiring to use or link to
this material or link must obtain the consent of Dorman Holub theYoung County USGenWeb coordinator.


The intention of this article is to preserve history of the schools, post offices, gins and stores
of Young County for succeeding generations. So many have been of help to me. I cannot list
the names of all of them and will just say thank you, thank you.

I realize that errors have possibly been made and will welcome any corrections.



"The memories of school mates and teachers are cherished. The district schools have passed and only
memories and only history remains.

The average salary for the teacher in the early days was $25.00 per month, and the average term of
school was three months. It appears when a school was established a name and a number was given
but the location was not mentioned.

Perhaps the first recorded school in the county was the Indian school located at a place three miles
east of Graham on the Indian Reservation. The purpose of the school was for the benefit and education
of the Indian children.

As early as the years 1859 and 1860, we have evidence of schools in the county. One school was
at Belknap, and the teachers at different times were Henry F. Threkeld and Posey H. Gordon.

It appears during these years the parents paid the teacher, but when a parent was not able to pay
his prorata part the county would pay the teacher. Teachers who received pay from the county
under this system during these years were: A.H. Latimer, James McMillian, Mary Ann Dyer,
John H. Cochran, Roena Wilson and George W. Fleming.

The name and the number and location of the school was not mentioned.

The only schools now in the county are the Independent schools at Graham, Newcastle and Olney.

At a county trustee meeting on August 6, 1923 a motion was made by H.S. Thomas and seconded
by A.C. Golden to authorize the reading of the Bible in school, making reading of the Bible as a
part of the course of study for the public schools of the county.

The county organization was abandoned during the Civil War, and was reorganized in 1874 and
most all the schools I mention will have been established since that date as follows:

Aynesworth School site is about two and one-half miles southwest of Bunger and about one mile south
of, out of the E.L. Aynsworth Survey, Abstract No. 1948, and near the south boundary line of the survey.

Belknap was one-half mile east of Fort Belknap grounds and one of the earliest towns in the county.
The records show on November 19, 1856 E.F. Abbott deeded 50 acres of land out of the R.W. Woodruff
Survey to Young County, which is near the Belknap cemetery.

The consideration in the deed is as follows, "For consideration of the location of a seat of Justice of
Young County."

Belknap Schools. We are told an early school was held in the Fort Belknap Bakery building. Another
school site was in Block No. 27 of the E. Whiteley Addition, which is about 300 yards south of the
Fort Belknap grounds. The next school was in a residence building a short distance east of the
Fort Belknap grounds. This building was to be moved and school was continued for about two
weeks in a rock building south of the southeast corner of the Fort Belknap grounds. The last school
site is about two miles east of the Fort Belknap grounds, and north of the Graham and Belknap
highway. The location is 662 varas east and 94 varas north of the southwest corner of the J.H. Jones
Survey, Abstract No. 1468.

Baugh School. In 1908 Mary B. Pratt gave 2 acres in the southwest corner of the T.E. & L. Company
Survey No. 65 for this school. The school opened in 1909 and closed in 1915. The first teacher was
Cynthia McFarland and the last teacher was Lee Wright. This site is known as Union Hill, but
the official records show the school as the Baugh school.

Bennett School. The records show this school was in operation for only one year, the year 1893.
The teacher was Bettie Millikin. Information as to the location of this school is handed down from
father to son, as follows: Location about 10 miles east of Graham in a gap between the Cement Mountains,
and was nicked-named "Toe Holt gap." The Cement Mountains are partly in the S.O.R.R. Company
Survey, Abstract No. 269.

Ben Waters School was located about 3 miles east of True, and on the boundary line of the
Northwest corner of the T. E. & L. Company Survey, Abstract No. 537 and the southwest corner of
T. E. & L. Company Survey, Abstract No. 538.

Birdwell School. This school site is about five and one-half miles southeast of Graham, near the
southeast corner of the John Hartman Survey, Abstract No. 155.

Bitter Creek School with three school sites. The first was in the northeast corner of the T. E. & L.
Company Survey, No. 305. The second was in the T. E. & L. Company Survey No. 95 and near
its north boundary line and about half way between its northwest corner and its northeast corner.
The third and last school site was out of the T. E. & L. Company Survey No. 82 and near the
west boundary line of the survey, an about half way between its northwest corner and its southwest corner.

Blount School. This school is about 8 miles east of Graham and north of the Graham and
Jacksboro Highway. The location of this school was in the northwest corner of the southeast
quarter of the J. Poitevent Survey, Abstract No. 233. Later the name was changed to Oakland School.

Boggy Valley School. The first school site was near the northwest corner of the T. E. & L. Company
Survey, Abstract No. 2093. The second site is near the northwest corner of the T. E. & L. Company
Survey, Abstract No. 777. The third site is near the north boundary line of the T. E. & L. Company
Survey, Abstract No. 767, and about one-half mile west of its northeast corner. The fourth and last
school site is near the southeast corner of the T. E. & L. Company Survey, Abstract No. 817.

Brier Branch School site is about 4 miles west, northwest of Graham, in the northeast corner of the
E. L. R. R. Company Survey, Abstract No. 1307, owned by Roy Mote.

Brushy Flat School site is north of Loving and in the southeast corner of the J. R. Cooke Survey,
Abstract No. 1405.

Brown Hill School was first called Mrs. Brown's School for Young Ladies. Later boys attended this
school. I have seen a report card dated March 31, 1881 of one of the boys who attended this school,
signed Brown Hill School by Mrs. A. Don Brown. I have not been able to find the exact location
but as the Brown's owned T. E. & L. Company Survey, Abstract No. 1009, which is southwest
of Loving, it is reasonable to believe the school was in their home, on this tract of land.

Bullock School site is about 5 miles east of Fort Belknap on the south side of the Graham and
Fort Belknap highway and near the center of the T. E. & L. Company Survey, Abstract No. 1231.
The School site is a short distance from the Jimmy Wray home.

Bunger. The town had a school, post office, gin and store and other businesses. Bunger had two
school sites. The first one was a frame building east and across the highway from the second
building which was a rock building.

California Creek School site is about 12 miles northwest of Newcastle and located on the
T. E. & L. Company Survey No. 338 and near its south boundary line.

Camp Creek School site is about three-fourths of a mile north of Padgett, near the northwest
corner of T. E. & L. Company Survey No. 90.

Caseyville site is about 2 miles west, southwest of Bunger and named for John C. Casey.
The town had a school, gin and store. Mr. Casey also operated a ferry on the Brazos River
near the town.

Center Ridge School site is about 10 miles east of Graham near the southeast corner of the
S. P. R. R. Company Survey, Abstract No. 268.

Choat School. The location of this school is unknown. The Choat school was number 38 the same
as Liberty and True. Under the heading of the Choat school, these words are written ,
"Choat or Liberty." Etta Whittenburg was teacher for the Choat school for the year 1893,
thereafter the name Choat does not appear. In 1894 the name Liberty appears with the number 38.
Later the name Liberty was changed to True with the same number 38.

Clifton School. The location of this school is about 6 miles northwest of Newcastle, near the southeast
corner of the T. E. & L. Company Survey, Abstract No. 599.

Cluskey City was an oil boom town on the east side of where the South Bend and Eliasville highway
crosses the Clear Fork, and near the E. N. McCluskey ranch house.

Colston School. We are told the first Colston school site is in the Sylphia Tynes Survey,
Abstract No. 274, and about one-half mile south of a tract of land known as the G. W. Hoak land.
The last school site is near the northwest corner of an 80 acre tract of land out of the Sylphia Tynes Survey,
Abstract No. 274, known as the L. R. Drum land. It appears there might be another Colston school site,
but I have no information as to where it might be.

Conner Creek School site is about 9 miles southeast of Graham and near the northeast corner
of the B. B. B. & C. R. R. Company Survey, Abstract No. 25.

Cove Creek School site is south of Bunger and near the southeast corner of the north one-half
of the Robt. Alcorn Survey, Abstract No. 1767.

Cribb Station School site is about 5 miles north of Murray, and in the northwest corner of the
T. E. & L. Company Survey, Abstract No. 746. Cribb Station and Store site is about 3 miles south
of Proffitt, and location is in what is known as the Fisher ranch pasture. This station was on the
first stop west of Belknap on the Butterfield Overland Mail Route.

Crozier Post Office and Store site is located about half way between Murray and Como community
on the north side of the "Old Wire Road", and near what was known as the McAbee farm.

Drippery Store was about 9 miles west of Olney, in the northwest corner of the T. E. & L. Company
Survey No. 84.

Drummond Post Office Store and Gin was located about 12 miles west of Graham and about
200 yards northeast of where the Miller Bend road intersects the Graham and Murray highway.

Dry Creek School. The life of this school appears to be from 1879 to 1881. Trustees were
M. F. Matthews, Jacob Nichols and J.W. Duty. It would appear this school was east of Graham,
and have failed to contact any one knowing the location of this school.

Eliasville. Another town rich in history. Situated near the banks of the Clear Fork and located
in the J. L. Dobbs Survey, Abstract No. 89. The town has had a Post office, Bank, school, gin, mill
and many other businesses. A town by its friendliness drew trade from a large area. The first school
for the Eliasville community was a subscription school located about three- fourths of a mile south
of Eliasville in Stephens County. The teacher was Wylie Jones. The second school for the community
was a subscription school about 3 miles west of Eliasville. The building used was a rock residence,
known as the Bellew residence. The teacher was named Watson. The first public school building
for Eliasville was a rock building south of the business part of town and located on what was
known as "Upon the hill." The second and last public school building was a brick structure located
on the south side of town, and on the south side and near the Eliasville and Graham highway.
Dr. Harry Yandell Benedict and Dr. Homer F. Raisey were students at Eliasville school. Each
became president of the University of Texas. At Eliasville was the Donnells' Mill, known far and
near. A needed and useful enterprise in the long ago. The suspension bridge across the Clear Fork
was an added attraction and was used daily by many citizens.

Enterprise School. This school was organized December 18, 1876 and closed 1882.
The location was unknown. To save space I will mention the names of only a few of the trustees,
John M. Kirby, John H. Wood, J. M. Rice. These men rendered property south of South Bend and
one would almost conclude the location of the school was somewhere south of the town of South Bend.

Farmer was first called Brushy, near the northeast part of Young County. The town was located in the
Gal. and Br. Nav. Company Survey, Abstract No. 118. Farmer, at one time, was of much importance,
supporting a post office, school, two doctors, two hotels, boot shop, tin shop, mill, gin and other
businesses. No community in the county is richer in history than the Farmer community.

Filibuster School. The exact location of this school site is uncertain. We are told the school was
about one mile north of the Henry Chapel school site and the school building was a log cabin.

Fish Creek School. The first school for the Fish Creek community was a subscription school located
about two and one-half miles east of Murray, and the building used was as an old tumbling cabin of an
unknown settler and on the Thomas Price land. Thomas Price was the teacher. The first Fish Creek
public school site was about 2 miles southeast of Murray, in the southeast corner of Subdivision No. 9
of the Young County School land Survey, Abstract No. 1285, known as the R. D. Tyra land. The third
and last school site was at Murray and later the name was changed to Murray.

Flat Top School. This school was in operation from 1880 to 1884. During these years the trustees were:
G. T. Brown, A. Looney, W. C. Blakley, R. M. Richardson and S. J. Hawkins. Lizzy Clark was teacher.
Flat Top Mountain is southwest of Loving. I have failed to locate anyone knowing the location of this school.

Flat Rock School was about 4 miles southeast of Graham and had four school sits. The first school site
is in the southwest corner of the H. C. Harmon Survey, Abstract No. 1455. The second school site is in
the northeast corner of the H. C. Harmon Survey, Abstract No. 1455. The third school was located in
the J. C. Crouch Survey, Abstract No. 1299, near and south of the southwest corner of the H. F. Young
Survey. The fourth and last school was in the H. C. Harmon Survey, Abstract No. 1455, and nearer
the southwest corner of the survey than any other corner of the survey. We are told of a building used
for church and school purposes on the B. Taylor Survey, Abstract No. 1542. I find no official
information as to the location of this school.

Flint Creek School site is about 8 miles northeast of Graham in the southwest corner of subdivision
No. 4 of T. E. & L. Company Survey, Abstract No. 1232, and about one and one- half mile
east of Jake's Station.

Fort Belknap. The location is about 3 miles south of Newcastle and near the east boundary line
of the A. White Survey, Abstract No. 1270. The site was selected in 1851 by
General William Goldsmith Belknap. The fort was to protect the frontier. It was restored in 1936
under the leadership of the late Senator Ben. G. Oneal and help of others, and today it is a
nationwide attraction.

Fort Growl was about 7 miles southwest of Graham, in the I. L. Hill Survey, Abstract No. 126.
During the Indian depredation days A. B. Medlan converted his home into a fort, and called it Fort Growl.
His home at that time was a short distance from the present home. [Fort Growl was torn down many
years ago and nothing remains of the site except a few rocks and the hole were the basement stood].

Fort Murrah site is about 2 miles south of Padgett and located on the Coy Eddleman land.
Though we know little of this locality, we are told that at one time soldiers were stationed there. In the
early days, Fort Murrah was a voting precinct. [Nothing remains of For Murrah except a mound of dirt.
An owner of the land, without knowing what the historical significance of the area had everything bulldozed].

Graham. Located in the Ben Hill Survey, Abstract No. 137, the town was established in 1872 by
Col. Edwin S. Graham and Gustavus A. Graham, known as the Graham Brothers. A name that will
live long for the contributions to church, school, civil and social interests of the town. Early history of
the town include the salt works, brick kiln and grist mill all located near the banks of the Salt Creek,
and the well and windmill with wooden trough and buckets hanging near in case of fire at the northwest
corner of the Court House lawn. It would take more than one volume for one to write a full history of
Graham including the past incidents and happenings in and around the town.

Graham Schools. During the 1870s and 1880s, Graham had several private and subscription schools.
It appears impossible to find the exact location and name of all of them. The Manlove school was located
on Lot No. 32, Block No. 21. This lot was occupied for many years by the Graham National Bank.
Mrs. Mae Voules taught a private school in her home located on Lot No. 10, Block No. 9. We are
told of a school building on the north side of Fourth Street, across the street opposite of the old rock
jail site. The jail site is on Lot No. 1 and 2 Block No. 7. I am unable to find the name of this school.
A school was located between Third and Fourth Streets on Lot No. 5, Block No. 7, known as the
Moody lot. It is possible this school was either the Cherry Street School or the Graham Academy.
Roxana College was located east of the Twin Mountains. The first Brick school building for Graham
was located east of the Twin Mountains and a short distance east of the Roxana College site. This
building was a red brick building and later this building was condemned and razed. The next school
building was erected on Virginia Street. Graham has four school buildings - Graham High, East Ward,
Shawnee and Crestview. At this writing [1972] another school building is being erected.

Graham Gins. Graham has had four gin sites. The first gin was near the banks of Salt Creek and close
to the grist mill operated by McDonald and Ellis. Another gin was located about three- fourths of a mile
east of the Court House and was known as the S. R. Crawford gin. Still another gin was located near
Salt Creek about 200 yards southwest of the Pump Station. It was known as the A. H. Jones gin. There
was also a gin west and across the highway from the Oak Grove Cemetery, known as the
A. C. Anderson gin.

Gage Creek School site is about 4 miles northwest of Eliasville, and in the northeast corner of the
M. L. Daniel Survey, Abstract No. 1415.

Grant School. This was an early subscription school located about 2 miles north of Loving and on
land known as the Grant land.

Gray School site is on the south side of Jean and in the southeast corner of the
T. E. & L. Company Survey, Abstract No. 787, and near the home of Mr. and Mrs. Bob Sims.

Gray Gin site is about 8 miles west of Olney and on the south boundary line of the
T. E. & L. Company Survey, No. 1594.

Goose Bend School site is about two and one-half miles northeast of Bunger near the
Goose Neck Cemetery, and near the southeast corner of the W. A. Baker Survey, Abstract No. 1293,
and the George Washington Fore Survey, Abstract No. 103. Later the name was changed to
Goose Neck. Goose Neck School was first called Goose Bend School. The school site is about two
and one- half miles northeast of Bunger, and near the Goose Neck Cemetery and near the southeast
corner of the W. A. Baker Survey, Abstract No. 1293 and the G. W. Fore Survey, Abstract No. 103.

Hardy School site is about 6 miles north of Newcastle, and in the southwest corner of the
T. E. & L. Company Survey, Abstract No. 499.

Hawkins Chapel School. The first school site is about 2 miles north of Loving and in the
R. M. Richardson Survey, Abstract No. 1525, and near the Hawkins Chapel Cemetery. The second
and last school site is in the northwest corner of a 75 acre tract of land out of the Susan Sallee Survey,
Abstract No. 252, as shown by deed recorded.

Harding was an oil boom town adjoining Clusky City on the south and on the east side of where
the South Bend and Eliasville highway crosses the Clear Fork and near the E. N. McCluskey ranch home.

Henry Chapel School site is about 12 miles southeast of Graham, near and on the south side of the
Graham and Graford highway. The school site location is in the B. B. B. & C. R. R. Survey,
Abstract No. 29, and near its north boundary line.

Herron City was an oil boom town and located near the northwest corner of the J. Abernathy Survey,
Abstract No. 1360.

Hoggard Store was located about 6 miles north of Graham, on the north side of the Graham and
Newcastle highway, where it is intersected by the Jean highway, and in the southeast corner of the
T. E. & L. Company Survey No. 470.

Hole In the Rock School site is about 6 miles south of Murray and about three-fourths of a mile
southeast of the Huffstuttle School site, and in the Nancy Morris Survey, Abstract No. 1735 and near the east boundary line of said survey.

Huffstuttle School site is about five and one-half miles south of Murray, out of the
Nancy Morris Survey, Abstract No. 1735. The school site is east and adjoining the southeast corner of
the T. E. & L. Company Survey, No. 854.

Humphries School. This school was southeast of Graham, and was established November 1, 1877
and closed 1881. The trustees for 1877 were A. L. Denton, Chas. Humphries and Jas. Fulkerson.
The location was near the Charles Humphries residence in the P. J. Humphries Survey,
Abstract No. 153.

Hunt School. This school was about 7 miles southeast of Olney. The first location was in the
southeast corner of the T. E. & L. Company Survey No. 1367. The second and last location was
near the northeast corner of the T. E. & L. Company Survey No. 215.

Indian Mound School. The first school site was near the Indian Mound Cemetery. The second
school site is in the southwest corner of the T. E. & L. Company Survey No. 624. The third and last
school site is in the southwest corner of the T. E. & L. Company Survey No. 455.

Ingleside School. The first school site is west of Orth and in the northeast corner of the
T. E. & L. Company Survey No. 51. The second school site is near the central part of the south boundary
line of the T. E. & L. Company Survey No. 183. The third school site is 455 varas west of the southeast
corner of the T. E. & L. Company Survey No. 200.

Jake's Station and Store is about 6 miles north of Graham and located in the Filipe Jamies Survey,
Abstract No. 157 and on the east side and near the Graham and Loving highway. The station is a short
distance short of where the Flint Creek road intersects the Graham and Loving highway.

Jean. The town of Jean is north of Graham and located near the northwest corner of the
T. E. & L. Company Survey No. 628. The town has had post office, bank, school, gins and other
businesses, including several brick buildings.

Jeffery School site is west of Orth and in the northeast corner of the T. E. & L. Company,
Survey No. 51. The name Jeffery was officially used for one year then changed to Ingleside.

Johnson School site is about 4 miles west of Newcastle, on the south side of the Newcastle and
Proffitt highway, and near the southwest corner of the D. M. Bullock Survey, Abstract No. 15.

Komo School sites were about ten and one-half miles southwest of Graham. The first school site is
180 varas north of the southwest corner of the G. W. Hill Survey, Abstract No. 151. The second school
site is in the northeast corner of the W. A. J. Akers Survey, Abstract No. 1363. The third and last school
site is in the M. E. Criswell Survey, Abstract No. 1772 near its north boundary line and near the northeast
corner of the W. Bellomy Survey, Abstract No. 2131.

Kopenhagan School site is about 6 miles north of Graham and out of the Filipe Jaimes survey,
Abstract No. 157. The location is about 300 yards west of the Jakes Station.

Lacy Post Office and Store site is about 2 miles north of Loving, near and on the west side of the
Loving and Wichita Falls highway, and out of the Susan Sallee Survey, Abstract No. 252. The site
is about 40 yards southwest of the northwest corner of the G. & B. N. Company Survey,
Abstract No. 120.

Lake City was an oil boom town on the west side of where the South Bend and Eliasville highway
crosses the Clear Fork and about a mile south of the W. W. Harrison ranch home.

Lamar Post Office and Store site is about one mile north of the town of Jean, near and on the
west side of Jean and Farmer highway. The site is in the northeast corner of the T. E. & L.
Company Survey, Abstract No. 891. The school was nicknamed Shinola.

Liberty School site is in the town of True, and later the name changed to True.

Live Oak School site is about 3 miles west, northwest of Murray and a short distance west of
the southeast corner of the T. E. & L. Company Survey, Abstract No. 1088.

Lone Knob School. The exact location of this school is uncertain. The trustees for the school for the
year 1878 were Charles Neuhaus, D. N. Killion and Daniel Messenger. As to the location I find these
notations, "Located near the northwest corner of the Indian Reservation and in the Messenger
neighborhood." The Messenger survey is about 2 miles west of Graham. With this meager information
the school was perhaps located in an area of two or three miles west of Graham. [as of 2006,
the exact location of the ranch is now known].

Lone Oak School site is about 12 miles north of Graham. The first school site is on the boundary line
between the southeast corner of the T. E. & L. Company Survey, Abstract No. 991 and the northeast
corner of the T. E. & L. Company Survey, Abstract No. 996. This building burned and a new site was
in the southeast corner of the T. E. & L. Company Survey, Abstract No. 986.

Lone Star School. The first site is about 4 miles west of South Bend and about one-half mile west of
the first crossing of the Clear Fork on the South Bend and Eliasville highway and out of the
E. D. Rhaton Survey, Abstract No. 243. The second school site is on the James Bolton Survey,
Abstract No. 12 and about 300 yards southwest of the E. W. Harrison ranch home.

Loving. The first Loving was located about one mile south of the present town of Loving, and is
usually known as "Old Loving." Old Loving appears to have been located in the northeast corner of the
T. E. & L. Company Survey No. 1949 and in the northwest corner of the T. E. & L. Company
Survey No. 1950. At this location was the Stratton store, a post office, school, gin and drug store.
Later a brick school building was erected about one-half mile south of the present Loving.
[The building was torn down many years ago]. Loving has a post office, stores and other businesses,
and has had beside the school, three gins and many businesses.

Lower Brushy School. This school existed from 1880 to 1884. Names of some of the trustees were
W. T. Smith, J. R. Mankins, W. M. Martin, J. C. Calvin and W. F. Cartwright. I have failed to
contact any one knowing the location of this school. [2006, the location of the school is known].

Lower Tonk School. This school was first located on the W. Tate (W. Eite) Survey, Abstract No. 102,
and near the north central part of the survey. This building was destroyed by a storm and the next
building was erected on the L. Mitchner Survey, Abstract No. 205. The location was 387 varas west of the southeast corner of this survey.

Major's Store site is about 12 miles southeast of Graham, near and on the north side of the Graham
and Graford highway, located in the B. B. B. & C. RR Company Survey, Abstract No. 28, and
near its south boundary line.

Markley. The town of Markley is about 21 miles of northeast of Graham on the Graham and
Wichita Falls highway. The location is where Block Nos. 13, 14, 17, and 18 of Y. C. S. Land
Abstract No. 1284 corner. The town was formerly called Plum Grove and it was later named in honor of General A. C. Markley.

Matthews Store site was about 7 miles north of Graham, on the Graham and Jean highway, and is the southeast corner of the T. E. & L. Company Survey Abstract No. 663.

Mayes School. The first school site was about two and one-half miles east of Murray, and near the south
central part of the T. E. & L. Company Survey, Abstract No. 1229. The second and last school site is
about 5 miles east, northeast of Murray, near and on the south side of the Murray and Graham highway,
and out of the Allen Hines Survey, Abstract No. 135. The location is about one mile east of what was
known as the Craig Ranch home.

Medlan School site is about 7 miles southwest of Graham on the I. L. Hill Survey, Abstract No. 126.
The location is a short distance southwest of the Medlan Chapel Primitive Baptist Church building.

Midway School site is about three-fourth of a mile northwest of Newcastle and in the northeast corner
of the E. Crockett Survey, Abstract No. 58.

Miller Bend School site is in the Miller Bend Community and location is in the northeast corner
of the J. S. Timmons Survey, Abstract No. 1548.

Ming Bend School site is about 8 miles southeast of Bunger and location is in the southwest corner
of the S. H. James Survey, Abstract No. 1465.

Monument School is about 5 miles southeast of Loving, and in the northeast corner of the T. E. & L.
Company Survey No. 1989. The community was named in honor of the men killed in the
Warren Wagon Train Indian fight, where a monument was placed.

Mount Pleasant School site is about 8 miles west of Graham, in the I. L. Hill Survey, Abstract No. 126.
The location is about 300 yards west on the south side and near the Lewis Brooks road where it intersects
the Graham and Murray highway.

Mountain Home School site is about 2 miles south of Bunger and near the north boundary line of the
D. McClendon survey, Abstract No. 1622.

Mount Hope site is about 6 miles east of Murray and near what was known as the "Old Wire Road."

Murray is 20 miles west of Graham on what was known in the early days as the Graham and
Throckmorton road. The Murray post office was established January 12, 1880. Mary C. Cusenbary was
appointed postmistress of that date. Murray has boasted of a post office, school, two churches, store,
blacksmith shop, gin, ball team and part time barbershop. See Fish Creek School.

Newcastle located mostly in the T. E. & L. Company Survey, Abstract No. 846. The town underlaid
with coal was famous for its coal mines and large payroll. Another enterprise appreciated was the
Newcastle Register, a weekly newspaper edited by the late Gaspard Neal. Newcastle including the post
office, bank, school, stores and gin has other businesses.

Newcastle Gins. Newcastle has had four gin sites. Jones Brothers Gin in the northwest part of town was
one. A gin operated by E. C. and Dan Keith on the west side of town was another. The gin located on the
west side of Newcastle and Olney highway was operated by A. C. Duckett and the gin on the east side
of the Newcastle and Olney highway was operated by T. J. Routon. Newcastle now [1972] has one gin
in operation. [2006, the gin has been torn down.]

Newcastle School. Newcastle has had two school buildings. The first building was a frame structure
located a short distance east of the present beautiful brick one.

Oak Grove School. This school was in operation from 1881 to 1883. During this time the trustees were
J. H. Wood, S. A. Brooks, John E. Morrison, B. H. Payne, J. M. Kirby and Homer Ford. I have failed
to contact any one who knows where this school was located. The trustees all lived in or near the
South Bend community. [2006, the exact location of the school is now known]

Oakland School. This school site is about 8 miles east of Graham, and north of the Graham and
Jacksboro highway. The school site is near the northwest corner of the Graham and Jacksboro highway.
The school site is near the northwest corner of the southeast quarter of the J. Potevent Survey,
Abstract No. 233. On July 31, 1888 E. J. Robertson gave land for this school site.

Oil City was an oil boom town about 8 miles south of Graham on the boundary line between the
R. J. Dowdle Survey, Abstract No. 2215, and the J. A. Driver Survey, Abstract No. 1980. The west
part of the town was on the Dowdle survey and the east part on the Driver Survey. The location was
near the south boundary line of these surveys.

Olney. The town of Olney is in the heart of an area of productive farm land. With its airport, oil,
farm and ranching interest and many businesses the town is numbered among the progressive town
of the state.

Olney School. The first school building was a frame structure. Olney is noted for its school system
and has three attractive buildings, an Elementary, a Junior High and a Senior High.

Olney Gins. Olney has had five gin sites. Two gins were at the site known as Old Olney, and
three gins in the present town of Olney. Olney has one gin now in operation.

O'neal Store. This store was about 3 miles south of Murray, near and on the south side of the
"Old Wire Road", and on the J. W. Cloud land near the north boundary line of the H. Hodge Survey,
Abstract No. 134.

Orth. The town with school, post office, gin and other businesses was located about 5 miles south of
Olney, on the Wichita Falls and Southern Railway, and it was near the southwest corner of the
T. E.& L. Company Survey, Abstract No. 303.

Padgett. Located about 11 miles southwest of Olney on the Olney and Throckmorton highway.
Padgett is out of the northwest corner of the T. E. & L. Company Survey No. 330. The town has had
post office, school, gin, store and other businesses.

Plaxco Post Office was about 9 miles north of Graham and located a little west of the north central
part of the T. E. & L. Company Survey, No. 445, known as the E. M. Ball tract of land.

Pleasant Grove School site is south of Bunger and in the southeast corner of the Margaret Hall Survey,
Abstract No. 1453.

Pleasant Hill School site is about 7 miles southwest of Graham, and out of the A. Irvin Survey,
Abstract No. 1779, near its south boundary line. The location is about half way between its southwest
corner and its southeast corner.

Pleasant Point School. Teacher for this school was Dora A. Smith. Trustees for the years 1880 to
1882 were W. A. Bennett, J. E. Scott, S. H. Evans, J. E. Williams and A. J. Harmon. Most of these
trustees lived east of Graham and in an area from one to three miles from the Jack County line. I
cannot determine the exact location of this school site.

Plum Grove School. This school was in operation from 1878 to 1884. Teacher was
Belle Bette Blakley. Names of the trustees were W. R. Bynum, B. Huber, Jesse Martin, Wm. Airhart
and G. T. Brown. These trustees lived northeast of Loving but the location of the school site is unknown.
[2006, location of the school is now known.]

Proffitt. The town of Proffitt was located in the T. E. & L. Company Survey No. 712, near its north
boundary line. The town had a post office, school, store, gin and several other places of business.

Putman Gin site is about 7 miles west of Graham on the north side of the Graham and Murray highway.
It is on the west side and near the Phil George Branch.

Putman School site is about 9 miles west, southwest of Graham, in the I. L. Hill Survey,
Abstract No. 126. The first school site was about one mile northwest of the Medlan Chapel Church
building and the second school site is about one-fourth mile northwest of the first school site.

Red Top School sites are about 9 miles north of Graham. The first school site is in the northeast corner
of the T. E. & L. Company Survey No. 644. The second school site is in the northeast corner of the
T. E. & L. Company Survey No. 448. The third and last school site is out of and near the west boundary
line of the J. P. Scott Survey, Abstract No. 257 and a short distance north of the Red Top Cemetery.

Rock Creek School site is east of Graham, near the Jack and Young County boundary line and in the
northeast corner of the J. L. Jackson survey, Abstract No. 1611

Rocky Mound School site is about 3 miles northeast of Graham and in the northwest corner of the
east part of the T. E. & L. Company Survey No. 1577, purchased by R. J. Robertson as shown by
deed recorded in Volume 26, page 488.

Rock Lake School. This school was established in 1879. In 1880 the school funds were transferred to
the General County Fund. Trustees appointed were Thos. J. Lowe, E. H. Crow and J. W. Paddock.
No teacher is mentioned. It would appear the school was never in operation and no information is found
as to its location.

Rutherford Store was about 4 miles north of Jean, where the Olney and Farmer highway crosses the
Jean and Archer City highway. The location is in the northeast corner of the T. E. & L. Company Survey,
Abstract No. 901.

Salem School site is southeast of Graham and 172 varas west of the southeast corner of the
J. A. Jowell Survey Abstract No. 1330.

Salem Creek School site is about 4 miles northwest of Graham and 40 yards east of the southeast
corner of the A. McFarland Survey, Abstract No. 193.

Shearer School first site is north of Jean and 700 varas west of the southeast corner of the
T. E. & L. Company Survey No. 1399. The second school site is out of the T. E. & L. Company Survey
No. 3401, on the north boundary line of same, and near the southwest corner of the
T. E. & L. Company Survey No. 1394.

Smith School site first appears in 1901 and in operation until 1903. The first teacher was Frank H. Wilson.
The trustees were L. W. Smith who owned T. E. & L. Company Survey, Abstract No. 440.,
J. M. Patterson who owned the T. E. & L. Company Survey, Abstract No. 433. These tracts of land
are west of Olney and near the airport. I am unable to locate the original site.

South Bend School. The first school site is about 2 miles south of South Bend, near and on the east side
of the South Bend and Breckenridge highway and in the northwest corner of the C. Smith Survey,
Abstract No. 1634. The second and last site with a brick building is in the northeast corner of the
J. Garrett Survey, Abstract No. 108.

South Bend was first called Arkansas. The town has had a post office, stores, gin and other businesses,
especially in the oil boom days.

South East School. The first record of this school was in 1878 and the last year it is mentioned is 1883.
The only official information as to its location is this notation "located in the southeast corner of Young
County." The trustees who rendered land were J. C. Brown, Dudley Bunge and E. Robertson.
J. C. Brown rendered land out of the O. T. Brown Survey Abstract No. 24, which is about a mile from
the southeast corner of the county. Dudley Bunge rendered land out of the B. B. B. & C. RR Company
Survey, Abstract No. 28, which is about 3 miles north of the southeast corner of the county. This is the
only information of help I was able to find as to the location.

Spring Creek School was a county line school on the Throckmorton and Young county line.
The school building was in Throckmorton County.

Stewart School. This school number was 42 and first appears for the year 1901. I was not able to find
any one who knew the location of this school. The trustees for the years 1901 to 1903 were H. C. Vance,
D. H. Norris, W. L. Newman and G. McCluer. The teacher was Louis Winfrey. It appears the school did
not operate during the years 1904 and 1905. The school appears again on the records for the year 1906,
with W. M. Plaster as teacher. On the 1906 Stewart School record the word "Loving" is written above the
name Stewart School, and for 1907 the name Loving begins, and with the same number 42.
[2006, the location of the school is now known.]

Stiffler School. Records show teachers for this school were: 1903, William Bridwell, 1905,
Grace Bullock and for 1906, Lona Hudson. The trustees were A. M. Stewart, J. L. McDaniel and
Ed Stiffler. We are told this school was located northeast of Loving in the Sylphia Tynes Survey,
Abstract No. 274, but the exact location is unknown.

Store. This store was located on the south side of the "Old Wire Road" about one-half mile west of
where the road crossed the Brazos River. The crossing was in the community known at that time as the
Captain Burnett community, known now as Komo. The name of the merchant is unknown.

Tankersley School. The first school site is about one mile west of Proffitt and near the north boundary
line of the T. E. & L. Company Survey No. 756. The second and last school site is about 2 miles west
of Proffitt and near the east boundary line of the T. E. & L. Company Survey, Abstract No. 768, and
usually referred to as the Fickling school.

Thomas School. This school site is about 7 miles southwest of graham and its location is near the
south boundary line of the D. Franklin Survey, Abstract No. 1425. This was first a subscription school
and the building was a log cabin with dirt floor and split logs for seats. Later a different building was erected on this site and the name was changed to Upper Tonk. See Upper Tonk School.

Timmons School. This school was established November 1, 1877 near the Timmons crossing on the
Clear Fork. The A. Timmons Survey, Abstract No. 1258 is near the second crossing on the Clear Fork
on the highway from South Bend to Eliasville. The trustees during its existence were F. M. McGlothin,
W. W. Edwards, Joseph Allen, John Z. Martin, H. G. Doss and John Lewis. The location of the school
is unknown. As the trustees lived near the Timmons Survey it is possible the school site is in the area of
the Timmons Survey or on the Timmons Survey.

Tonk Valley School site is about 5 miles southwest of Graham on the west side of the
Graham-Breckenridge Highway and near the southwest corner of the S. T. Seddon Survey,
Abstract No. 273.

True. The town of True had a post office, school, gin, and several stores and businesses.
The True school was first called Liberty. True was an early town and G. W. Terrell was the founder.
The town was a gathering place especially for the stockmen. Much interesting history could be
written of this town and community.

Upper Tonk School. The location of this school is about 7 miles southwest of Graham and near
the south boundary line of the D. Franklin Survey, Abstract No. 1425. This school's building was
erected on the Thomas school site. The Thomas school building was a log cabin with dirt floor and
split logs for seats. Upper Tonk School was the first public school in the County.

Victory School site is about 4 and one-half miles east of Graham and in the northwest corner of the
J. R. Jones Survey, Abstract No. 1328.

White Rose School site is about 6 miles northwest of Graham and in the southeast corner of the
T. E. & L. Company Survey, Abstract No. 647. On November 3, 1879, Joseph Allen deeded 4 acres of
land out of the southwest corner of the Joseph Allen Survey, Abstract No. 1662 for school purposes. This
school site is about 4 miles southwest of South Bend. In 1880 a school called Lake Valley appears on the
record. The trustees for the Lake Valley School were F. M. McGlothin, W. W. Edwards and Joseph Allen.
As these trustees lived in the community and near this school site it is reasonable to suppose that this
school site is the Lake Valley School.



Submitted by Dorman Holub
December 1998