Search billions of records on Ancestry.com

Knightwick, St Mary (Doddenham) - 1
Knightwick, St Mary (Doddenham)

Knightwick - 3
Knightwick, St. Mary, Mortuary Chapel

Description of Knightwick 1791


Knightwick, about eight miles from Worcester, on the borders of Herefordshire, anciently belonged to the priory of Great Malvern. The views on the hills in this parish are extensive; on Ankerdine-hill and Tinkers’ Coppice the prospects are rural, amidst hills and dales. Worcester, Pershore, Cheltenham, Broadway and Bredon hills, and several eminences in Leicestershire, beautify the whole.

Source: Universal British Directory 1791

Knightwick Worcestershire Delineated C. and J. Greenwood 1822


Knightwick ­ a parish in the hundred of Oswaldslow, lower division, 8 miles N.W. from Worcester, and 120 from London; containing 24 inhabited houses. It is situated near the river Teme, on the borders of Herefordshire. The living is a rectory, with Doddenham chapel, annexed; the Rev. John Bell, incumbent; instituted 1817; in the patronage of the Dean and Chapter of Worcester. Population, 1801, 158 ­ 1811, 161 ­ 1821, 155.

Source: Worcestershire Delineated: Being a Topographical Description of Each Parish, Chapelry, Hamlet, &c. In the County; with the distances and bearings from their respective market towns, &c. By C. and J. Greenwood. Printed by T. Bensley, Crane Court, Fleet Street, London, 1822.


Useful Links


Historical Information and Directory Transcriptions