Chernigov (Черниговская губерния) was an administrative division of the
former Russian Empire which continued to exist after the Revolution
until approximately 1932. It was bordered by the gubernii of Minsk to the west,
Smolensk to the north, Orel to the northeast, Kursk to the east,
Poltava to the southeast, and Kiev to the southwest.
1929/1932, the borders of Chernigov guberniya changed, and the towns
in Chernigov guberniya were no longer exclusively in Russia.
Most of them became a part the country
Ukraine, in a new administrative district known as Chernihiv oblast;
others became part of the country Belarus, and the remaining towns stayed
under Russian rule.
Information presented herein has been collected and organized by members of
the Chernigov Genealogy newsgroup, hosted by Rootsweb at UKR-Chernigov