Heritage First!
History & Education for Furness and South Lakeland
(formerly Ulverston Heritage Centre)





ULVERSTON on Multimap



Historical Notes
    -   ULVERSTON -  the capital of Furness, is a neat and well-built market town and port. Dr. Whitaker says 'the oldest orthography of the name is Olvaston, or Ulvaston.  In the provincial dialect it is pronounced Ouston.  The houses, being roughcast or whitewashed, are covered with blue slate and have a clean and agreeable appearance. It contains several spacious streets , four of which branch off from the market place, which occupies a central position at their junction, and is ornamented with a pillar of cast iron, erected in 1822, crowned by a lamp, and a water pump, put up in August 1849.

The town is abundantly supplied with excellent water, and amongst the several springs which contribute to the supply, is the celebrated 'Lightburn' remarkable for its purity: and at Plumpton, a short distance from the town, is a small medicinal spring.

Ulverston is the mart for the agricultural and mineral productions of Furness, and has been always considered the key to the lakes.  Its manufactures consist chiefly of cotton checks, canvas, hats, candle wicks, axes, spades and sickles.  Here are also several tanneries, breweries, &c.  besides the various miscellaneous trades of a local character, common to most towns.

The market is held under a charter of Edward l, and is well supplied with grains and provisions, and has almost completely absorbed those of Dalton, Broughton, Hawkshead, and Cartmel.

The estuary of the Levens appears to have receded from Ulverston, which according to the law of the customs, is a creek, within the limits of the port of Lancaster.  A communication is however formed between the town and the bay of Morecambe, by means of a canal, one mile and a quarter in length, which was cut in 1795 under the direction of the late Mr. John Rennie.  This canal, which is said to be the shortest, broadest, and deepest in England, has given a powerful stimulus to the commerce of the place.  The number of vessels which entered inward, and cleared outward with cargoes, during the year ending January 1849, was 641 and their tonnage amounted to about 32,000 tons. But there are only 34 vessels belonging to Ulverston, whose aggregate registry is 2311 tons.

The principal articles of export are iron and copper ores, in large quantities; slates, hoops, basket rods, brooms, malt, butter, wool, &c. and the chief articles imported are timber, coals, raw cotton, &c.  Mr. West says "In 1774, there were 70 ships belonging to this place, chiefly employed in the coasting trade.  Coals were then imported, and sold at £1 5s 6d per chaldron."  The average quantity of iron ore at present shipped from Ulverston is about 40,000 tons.  The custom house is situate in Union Street.

Source:  History of Furness & Cartmel, Mannex & Co. 1851




               Sir John Barrow's Cottage  -  Opening Times  -  Sunday 12 September 2010  -  11.45am - 3.00pm








                        *New*                                  The 2011 Ulverston Calendar, funded by Awards For All,  is now available

Please email
ulverston heritage(@)hotmail.co.uk  for details   - (Don't forget to remove the brackets ( ) from the @ sign)
                                                                         




                                                                                     


                            NEW BOOK





This fascinating collection of over 200 archive images explores the historic market town and port of Ulverston.

Situated on the Furness peninsula at the southernmost tip of the Lake District, Ulverston has a long and proud past, and has witnessed many changes. The original settlement had its roots in medieval times - Ulverston existed before the Norman Conquest and the Parish Church is dated 1111 - but the real expansion of the town occurred as Ulverston developed as an iron-ore port and with the opening of the Ulverston Canal in 1796. This book depicts the changing face of Ulverston over the last 150 years, describing the streets, shops, pubs, industries and the people who formed the heart of this strong community.

This new book can be purchased from Heritage First for £12.99 plus postage and packing.  
For details, please contact:  ulverston heritage(@)hotmail.co.uk

                                        (Don't forget to remove the brackets ( ) from the @ sign)





            Opening Hours

            Membership

            Bookshop

            Snippets from Old  Newspapers

            Ulverston BMDs

            Information Sheets

            Own Publications

            Research Service

            Registrars' Addresses






 

                 The Sir John Barrow Cottage
           ENTER
 



                           The Sir John Barrow Monument
            ENTER
 





Members' Surname Interests
for Lancashire North of the Sands


ENTER





Homepages

If you have a homepage relating to your research in the area known as Lancashire North of the Sands and would like it added here, please email  -  heritagefirst(@)hotmail.co.uk

Please note that to prevent webbots from harvesting our email address, parentheses -  ( )  have been
placed around the @ symbol.  To email us, simply remove them.  Thank you.






LOCAL LINKS





GENERAL LINKS





Query/Surname Board for Furness & Lancashire
'North of the Sands'
 

Your Query must include a reference to the area known as Lancashire North of the Sands or it will be removed.
     Thank you.








Mailing Lists of Interest







UK Mailing Lists
Site hosted by John Fuller and Christine Gaunt

Mailing Lists hosted by Rootsweb
 







Ancestral Portraits

by

Elizabeth Wood

                           
        A portrait of your ancestor painted from a photograph, to cherish for generations




© 2000-2010    Heritage First!

c/o Sir John Barrow Cottage      Dragley Beck      Ulverston       Cumbria      LA12 0HA      England

Registered Charity No. 1007408          Registered in England, Company Limited By Guarantee No. 2656064
 

No material on this site may be reproduced without the express permission of Heritage First!  unless otherwise stated
 
 

email:  ulverston heritage(@)hotmail.co.uk

(Don't forget to remove the brackets ( ) from the @ sign)




 


 
 

This site is generously