up

 

 

 

 

 Pembrokeshire snippets ... [2]

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Slate Quarrying in Pembrokeshire

up

 

 

 

There follows a series of comments/facts based on the article ; The Pembrokeshire Slate Quarrymen by Dafydd Roberts, in  Llafur [Journal of Welsh Labour History] Vol 5/1, 1988.


What slate industry ?

To most people "the Welsh slate industry" naturally implies north west Wales, within the former counties of Caernarfon and Merioneth. After all, in the period 1780 to date , these areas produced 80-90% of the UK's total output of roofing slate with quarries such as Penrhyn and Dinorwig producing at least 100,000 tons  of finished roofing slates annually at their peak, and employing up to 3,500 men each.

However, this obscures the fact that viable slate quarrying industries existed elsewhere in Wales, and for the purpose of this exercise, in north Pembrokeshire, namely, along the north facing coast of the county, in the Preselau mountains, along the border with Carmarthenshire, and in the Cilgerran area of the lower Teifi valley.

Reference can be found to the existence , at various times, of about a hundred slate quarries in Pembrokeshire, and to a labour force totalling perhaps several hundred during the second half of the C19.

[Based on The Pembrokeshire Slate Quarrymen by Dafydd Roberts, in  Llafur [Journal of Welsh Labour History] Vol 5/1, 1988. Gareth, 19 Jan 2001 D/P]

The evidence for a north west Wales link

The port facilities at Porth-gain, between Fishguard and St Davids were constructed initially to deal with exports of slate  from that area.

The Maenclochog Railway, constructed in the southern foothills of the Preseli mountains was for the purpose of carrying away slates from the Rosebush quarry.

However, most of the quarries were little more than scratchings on the surface of the land and worked only for a few months at a time when demand was high. Neither did the villages which depended, to varying degrees, on quarrying, really ever begin to compare with their counterparts in north west Wales. Porth-gain, Cilgerran and Rosebush were small by comparison with northern villages such as Rhosgadfan, Penmachno, or Aberllefenni.

Whilst the slate industry in Pembrokeshire must have had some significance locally , evidence in the shape of formal archive sources is slim. Pem Archives holds very little such material, neither does the NLW. Snippets of information can be gleaned from local newspapers, notably the quaintly named Dewsland and Kemes Guardian, and from port books.

The Museum of Welsh Life has an useful collection of taped interviews with former Pembrokeshire slate quarrymen.It also has documents containing extracts of correspondence, written in 1894, between John G.Roberts of Blaenau Ffestiniog, and his brother in Pembrokeshire. Apart from family matters, these letters embrace a slate quarry operated by the brother ; a letter of commendation relating to the Trwynllwyd quarry, prepared by a Robert Richards ; a memo regarding a quarry in Scotland ; again addressed to Robert Richards; a memo from a Haverfordwest slate merchant about slates produced by Robert Richards ; and finally, a price list relating to the Cilgwyn slate quarry Caernarfon.

It was this apparent link to north west Wales which  became the author's eventual main pre-occupation, and his findings which form the basis for this article.

[Based on The Pembrokeshire Slate Quarrymen by Dafydd Roberts, in  Llafur [Journal of Welsh Labour History] Vol 5/1, 1988. Gareth, 19 Jan 2001 D/P]

Llanrhian parish

Richards wrote from an address at Cwm-yr-eglwys, Dinas Cross, near Fishguard, and delivered his opinions regarding the Trwynllwyd slate quarry, some miles south and west, near the village of Llanrhian. The letters between John Roberts and his brother  [somewhere in Pembrokeshire] seem to suggest that the quarry being discussed was on the north western coast of the county. The quality of the slates was discussed and it should be noted that Pembrokeshire slate, because of its geological nature, is rather inferior to the older, harder, slate of north Wales.

Inspection of the Enumerator's Schedules for the parish of Llanrhian, which contains the slate quarries of Trwynllwyd, Abereiddi and Porthgain reveals that there were a number of families and individuals from north Wales living within the parish and probably working at the quarries. The word probably is used because the occupations of the persons enumerated are a little confused being variously described as ; Slate Quarrymen ; Slate Quarry Man ; Labourer ; Slater ; Quarryboy ; or Slate Cutter. Censuses in north Wales show a definite 'Slate Quarryman' description without fail. In Llanrhian a 'Slater' may of course have been someone who put slates on roofs.

The census of 1841 shows people  in Llanrhian parish who were born outside the parish, one example  of someone probably working at the quarry is ;

At Trefin ; Evan Jones, aged 30, and his wife Mary, aged 30, with children Elizabeth 10, John 4, Evan 2 months. Mary and the children were natives of PEM but Evan was not. Was Evan perhaps one of the first persons from north Wales to work at the local quarries ?

In 1841, only 7 'Slaters' and a 'Superintendent' worked at the Llanrhian quarries, but this was a time of rapid development  with a soaring demand for roofing slates..

By 1851 the following occupations were recorded ;

  • Mineral Agent - 1
  • Quarryman/Slate Quarryman - 30 ; chiefly at Abereiddi
  • Slater - 15
  • Tipper - 3
  • Miner - 2
  • Railway labourer - 5
  • Stone cutter - 1
  • Pump maker - 1
  • Horsekeeper - 1
  • Clerk - 1

[Based on The Pembrokeshire Slate Quarrymen by Dafydd Roberts, in  Llafur [Journal of Welsh Labour History] Vol 5/1, 1988. Gareth, 20 Jan 2001 D/P]

Llanrhian - 1851 census examples of the north Wales link

The 1851 return shows that there were many families and individuals living within the parish whose roots were in north Wales.

Some , like Samuel Hughes, living at Abereiddi, aged 25 and born in Anglesey, had obviously arrived as single men and then married local women, and had all their children born locally.

There was William Hughes, probably a brother to Samuel, also at Abereiddi, aged18, born in Llanrug, Caernarfonshire. With the Hughes family lodged 16 year old Henry Roberts born in the parish of Llanddeiniolen, Caernarfonshire[CAE], and already a slate quarryman.

Some brought their families, William Hughes, labourer, aged 51, born in Llanddeiniol parish Anglesey, had brought his wife and two children with him ; Elinor Hughes, her daughter Elinor 10; son Richard 8; were all natives of Bethesda, CAE, and one wonders why this family left such a booming town in the 1840s.

Some families showed complex preceding moves ; William Jones at Abereiddi was a slate quarryman born at Portsmouth, his wife and four of their children were natives of Llanllechid parish, CAE , but their eldest son William was born in Llanwrin parish , Montgomeryshire. Morris Jones, at Trefin, quarryman, was a native of Llandwrog, CAE, and he had brought with him his wife Jane and their five children, one born in CAE, three somewhere in Ireland, and the last at Trefin.

The final group from north Wales consisted of those who had no obvious family links locally , but who chose to lodge with a family in the vicinity of the quarries. In Trefin lodged Hugh Grey Williams, 'Slater', aged 28, a native of CAE, and a young man aged 23, Price Roberts, again from CAE, whose career and life can be followed in Llanrhian for at least  the next 40 years.

[Based on The Pembrokeshire Slate Quarrymen by Dafydd Roberts, in  Llafur [Journal of Welsh Labour History] Vol 5/1, 1988. Gareth, 20 Jan 2001 D/P]

1861/71

By 1861 the slate industry was in decline in this locality, and the census records far fewer quarrymen and slate workers. There is at least one "Slater's wife" recorded  as head, implying that her husband had moved away looking for work. Not all the sons were now tempted by the slate industry ; Robert Roberts , aged 18, son of Henry Roberts of Trevacoon, was shown as a "Mariner", not surprising in a part of Wales where a connection with the sea had always been important in people's lives.

By 1871 the number of Llanrhian quarrymen recorded as having some connection with north Wales had further dwindled, the industry in north Wales was in good heart so perhaps some were tempted to return there. Two families were doing well enough out of the local slate industry, namely ; William Pritchard , of Cwmwdig Water, a native of Beddgelert, CAE, a "Slate Quarry Agent" ; and Thomas Williams, of Norma Terrace[?], a native of Bangor, CAE, and a "Slate Quarry Manager".

[Based on The Pembrokeshire Slate Quarrymen by Dafydd Roberts, in  Llafur [Journal of Welsh Labour History] Vol 5/1, 1988. Gareth, 24 Jan 2001 D/P]

Difficult times

The late 1870s were to prove a difficult time for the slate industry in Wales as a whole, and there followed in the early 1880s significant emigration from north Wales, especially, to the slate belt of the USA.

But the 1881 census shows that there were still significant numbers of north Welsh quarrymen living and working in Llanrhian parish. Some of the names are by now familiar, having appeared in the 1861/71 censuses.Almost all had now married local women  and seen their children born and  brought up in Pembrokeshire. Significantly too, there were no longer unmarried young men from north Wales living in the parish and lodging with local families. Llanrhian was obviously no longer a focus or attraction for these. The area though had proved an attraction for the Rev Richard Rowlands, aged 32, born CAE, along with his wife Laura, a native of Llanberis, CAE, but who now lived in Park Court, Tre-fin.

Price Roberts and family

Price Roberts, "Slater" from CAE, was noted in the 1851 census, an unmarried lodger in Tre-fin village. From the census and parish registers his subsequent life can be portrayed. He succeeded in attracting the attention of a young local woman, Lettice Thomas, of Tre-fin, who on 3 Nov 1853, whilst they were still unmarried, bore him a son, William. Price must have acknowledged his obligations even at this point though as Jacob Hughes, vicar of the parish, broke his usual practice in the case of bastard children, namely entering either a christian name only, or coupling the child's name with its mother's surname, by entering Lettice's child as William Roberts. The couple must have soon married and by Oct 1855 had another son, John. The 1861 census shows no further children, the two sons shown as "scholars", with the family living with John Thomas, Lettice's father, a widower who farmed 6 acres of land near Tre-fin.

By 1871, although John Thomas was still alive,  his place as "head" was taken by Price Roberts . William and John no longer appeared on the census suggesting they had moved away for work, but the family had a young daughter, Martha, aged 1 year. Martha Roberts, aged 11, and her sister Margaret, aged 6, appear on the 1881 census too. By this time their father is a "Stone Quarry Manager" and their rising status is reflected by the fact that they now employ Anne Harries, a local girl, as a maid servant. No further records were available for the family.

[Based on The Pembrokeshire Slate Quarrymen by Dafydd Roberts, in  Llafur [Journal of Welsh Labour History] Vol 5/1, 1988. Gareth, 24 Jan 2001 D/P]

Competition, industrial unrest and the end of an era

Links between north-west and south-west Wales, even in the C19 , were by no means as tenuous as some commentators would like to suppose. Those who earned their living on the sailing vessels which traded at the creeks and harbours of Cardigan Bay were quite familiar with the slate ports of north-west Wales, the coal exporting harbours of Pembrokeshire, and the herring fleets of Aber-porth and Nefyn. But to find men from north-west Wales settling in Pembrokeshire is another matter, and one wonders what their linguistic, religious or political impact might have been.

Precious little evidence is available to permit a discussion on this although one theme may be looked at, namely that of industrial unrest in the Llanrhian district quarries. It should be remembered that the North Wales Quarrymen's Union was in existence from 1874 and well established in Gwynedd by the late 1870s. Consequently it can be supposed that these men from north Wales might have brought with them at least a smattering of interest in Union matters since the only known instances of quarrymen protesting against owners in the coastal belt quarries of Pembrokeshire took place in Llanrhian.

Discontent surfaced at Tre-fin in January 1878, monthly wages had not been paid at the three nearby quarries in the previous two months and the men, not unreasonably, became worried. Local shopkeepers complained at the amount of money owed to them by quarrymen's families. The quarrymen had a meeting in that January and resolved to cease work until arrears of wages were paid. The quarries remained at a standstill for several weeks, attempts at reconciliation continued, a few men were persuaded to return to work.  John Fraser, manager, of the St Brides Quarries proved particularly "unhelpful" in his responses. There was much distress in the area, some men moved elsewhere for work, more returned to work. But in March 1879 the men were  suddenly locked out by the owners and dismissed without explanation. Somehow matters were resolved  in late March when  the men were paid one of the four months oustanding wages.

The problems which led to the suspension of the men at the Trwyn-llwyd, Abereiddi and Porthgain quarries were the same as those that sent so many men from the Gwynedd quarries across the Atlantic to seek employment in the quarries in the USA, namely the sudden drop in demand for Welsh roofing-slates.

By the early C20, most Pembrokeshire quarries had closed, after giving up against the intense competition from Gwynedd quarries. Meanwhile, the local labour force, with some northern families amongst them, were forced to look elsewhere for work, as their industry became little more than a folk memory in the quiet villages of south-west Wales.

[Based on The Pembrokeshire Slate Quarrymen by Dafydd Roberts, in  Llafur [Journal of Welsh Labour History] Vol 5/1, 1988. Gareth, 28 Jan 2001 D/P]

Censuses, 1841/51, Enumeration Districts

up

 

 

 

For both the 1841 and 1851 Census the heading names for each  Dyfed FHS index fiche are the district names. They are not quite the same as those within the hundreds which are used for the headings of the Baptisms, Marriages and Burials fiche.


1841

I list below the parishes covered under each Census district. On each fiche are the names in alphabetical order of all those resident on the night of  6/7June 1841, with their ages, parish and reference nos to enable you to go straight to them on the original census. Note that in 1841 there is a book number as well as a folio and page.

Fishguard Enumeration District - Parishes included

Ambleston, Castlebythe, Fishguard, Henry's Moat, Jordanston, Letterston,  Little Newcastle, Llanfairnantygof, Llanllawer, Llanstinan, Llanwnda, Llanychaer, Manorowen, Morvil, Pontfaen, Puncheston, Spittal, St. Dogwells, St.  Nicholas, Walton East

Haverfordwest Enumeration District - Parishes included

Boulston, Camrose, Haroldston, Haroldston West, Haverfordwest St. Martin, Haverfordwest St. Mary, Haverfordwest St. Thomas, Lambston, Nolton, Prendergast, Redbaxton, Roch, St. Issells's , Treffgarne, Uzmaston, Wiston

Milford Enumeration District - Parishes included

Dale, Freystrop, Hasguard, Herbrandston, Hubbertson, Johnston, Llangwm, Marloes, Robeston West, St. Brides, Steynton, St. Ishmael's, Talbenny, Walwyn's Castle, Walton West

Narberth Enumeration District - Parishes included

Amroth, Begelly, Bletherston, Clarbeston, Coedcanlas, Crinow, Crunwear, Grondre Hamlet, Jeffreston, Lampeter Velfrey, Llanddewi Velfrey, Llandilo, Llandissilio (West), Llangolman, Llanycefyn, Llawhaden, Llysyfran, Loveston, Ludchurch, Maenclochog, Martletwy, Minwear, Mounton, Mynachlogddu,  Narberth, New Moat, Newton, Reynoldston, Robeston Wathen, St. Issells, Slebech, Vorlan Hamlet, Williamston Hamlet, Yerbeston

NB. The following Part Parish indexes have been added to the above; Llanfallteg (West), Llangan (West)

Newport Enumeration District - Parishes included

Bayvil, Bridell , Cilgerran, Dinas, Eglwyswrw, Llanfairnantgwyn, Llanfihangel Penbedw, Llantood, Llanychllwydog, Manordeifi, Meline, Monington, Moylegrove, Nevern, Newport, St. Dogmaels, Whitechurch

Pembroke Enumeration District - Parishes included

Angle, Bosherston, Burton, Carew, Castlemartin, Cosheston, Gumfreston, Hodgeston, Lamphey, Lawrenny, Llanstadwell, Manorbier, Monkton, Nash and Upton, Pembroke St. Mary's, Pembroke St. Michael's, Penally,  Pwllcrochan, Redberth, Rhoscrowther, Rosemarket, St. Florence, St. Petrox , St. Twynells, Stackpole, Tenby in Liberty, Tenby out Liberty, Warren,

St. David's Enumeration District - Parishes included

Brawdy, Granston, Hayscastle, Llandeloy, Llanhowel, Llanreithan, Llanrian, Mathry, St. David's, St. Edrin's, St. Elvis, St. Lawrence, Whitchurch


1851     [It differs slightly  from 1841 in some parishes]

Cenarth Enumeration District - Parishes included

Capel Colman, Castellan, Cilrhedyn, Clydey, Llanfrynach, Penrith

Fishguard Enumeration District - Parishes included

Ambleston, Castlebythe, Fishguard, Henry's Moat, Jordanston, Letterston, Little Newcastle, Llanfairnantygof, Llanllawer, Llanstinan, Llanwnda, Llanychaer, Manorowen, Morvil, Pontfane, Puncheston, Spittal, St. Dogwells, St. Nicholas, Walton East

Haverfordwest Enumeration District - Parishes included

Boulston, Camrose, Haroldston West, Lambston, Nolton, Roch, Rudbaxton, Treffgarne, Wiston

The following parishes are available as a complete transcript on the separate set of fiche HO107/2478 Haverfordwest and are not included in this index

  • Haroldston St. Issells's,
  • Haverfordwest Furzey Park and Portfield
  • Haverfordwest St. Thomas
  • Haverfordwest St. Martin Prendergast
  • Haverfordwest St. Martin Hamlet Uzmaston
  • Haverfordwest St. Mary

Narberth Enumeration District - Parishes included

Amroth, Begelly, Bletherston, Castledwyran, Clarbeston, Coedcanlas, Crinow, Crunwear, Cyffig, Eglwyscummin, Egremont, Grondre Hamlet, Henllan Amgoed, Jeffreston, Lampeter Velfrey, Llanddewi Velfrey, Llandilo, Llandissilio, Llangan, Llangan Hamlet, Llangolman, Llanycefyn, Llawhaden, Llysyfran, Loveston, Ludchurch, Maenclochog, Marros, Martletwy, Mounton, Minwear, Mynachlogddu, Narberth, New Moat, Newton , Pendine, Reynoldston, Robeston Wathen, Slebech, St. Issells, Vorlan Hamlet, Williamston Hamlet, Yerbeston

Newport Enumeration District - Parishes included

Bayvil, Bridell, Cilgerran, Dinas, Eglwyswrw, Llanfairnantgwyn, Llanfihangel Penbedw, Llantood, Llantood, Llanychllwydog, Manordivy, Meline,  Monington, Moylegrove, Nevern, Newport, St. Dogmaels, Whitechurch

Pembroke Enumeration District - Parishes included

Angle, Bosherston, Burton, Caldy Island, Carew, Castlemartin, Cosheston, Gumfreston, Hodgeston, Lamphey, Lawrenny, Llanstadwell, Manorbier, Monkton, Nash and Upton, Penally, Pembroke St. Mary's, Pembroke St. Michael's, Pwllcrochan, Redberth, Rhoscrowther, Rosemarket, Stackpole Elidor, St. Florence, St. Petrox, St. Twynells, Tenby in Liberty, Tenby out Liberty, Warren

The following parish is available as a complete transcript on the separate set of fiche HO107/2476 Pembroke Dock ( St. Mary's) and is not included in this index

  • St. Mary's Pembroke

St. David's Enumeration District - Parishes included

Brawdy, Granston, Hayscastle, Llandeloy, Llanhowell, Llanreithan, Llanrian, Mathry, St. David's. St. Edrin's, St. Elvis, St. Lawrence, Whitchurch

N.B. Folio 354, Page 6, which holds schedules 16 and 17, is missing from the Census Return of Mathry parish

Steynton Enumeration District - Parishes included

Dale, Freystrop, Hasguard, Herbrandston, Hubbertson (inc Hakin), Johnston, Llangwm, Marloes, Robeston West, St. Brides, Steynton, St. Ishmael's, Talbenny, Walwyn's Castle, Walton West

[Joy Cozens 31 Dec 2000 D]

Pembrokeshire county

up

 

 

 

 

Man of Pembrokeshire

Giraldus Cambrensis [Gerallt Gymro] [c 1147-1223]

Giraldus was born at Manorbier Castle. His father, William de Barri was a Norman nobleman, his mother was Angharad, daughter of Gerald de Windsor, the Norman castellan of Pembroke and of the famous "Helen of Wales", Nest, daughter of Rhys ap Tewdwr, the last independent prince of Deheubarth. Although considerably more Norman than Welsh by blood he called himself a Welshman although he could be as arrogant as any Norman. His cousins were the Fitz-Geralds, Fitz-Stephens and Fitz-Henries[all descendents of Nest], the Lord Rhys and other Welsh princes were his kinsmen.

He became a distinguished scholar , lectured in church law and theology, became the royal chaplian to Henry II, yet, his claim to appear on any list of famous Welshmen must lie more in his authorship of his famous Itinerarium Kambriae        [ Itinerary through Wales]  and Discriptio Kambriae [ Description of Wales], the first books to describe Wales, they were written in Latin. The first one is available in a Welsh translation and offers many interesting, albeit exaggerated, descriptions of how our forbears lived.He gathered the material for these writings in 1188 when he accompanied Archbishop Baldwin on his tour through Wales.

His greatest ambition was to become Bishop of St David's and secure the independence of the Welsh Church from Canterbury, he went to Rome three times to plead his case,  in vain, and he declined both Bangor and Llandaff . He is considered one of the most remarkable and versatile of the great personalities of the Middle Ages, he is buried in St David's Cathedral.

He was known as Gerallt Gymro.

His advice to the people of Wales in the last chapter of the Description is perhaps as valid now as it was then;

" If therefore they would be inseparable, they would become insuperable".

[ Partly based on Famous Welshmen Welsh Dept of Board of Education, 1944. Gareth Hicks 28.4.2000 D/G]


T E Nicholas

One of the founders of the Communist Party in Great Britain was T E Nicholas, a Welsh speaking poet preacher from north Pembrokeshire. He trained for the ministry and ministered in various chapels in Wales. He was unpopular with many because of his strong political, pro Russian views. He and his wife learnt the craft of dentistry and practised for years in Aberystwyth but Niclas y Glais, as he was known, continued to travel to preach in various chapels. It is said he carried his dental equipment in the car with him on his Sunday preaching trips, in case a member of the congregation had a painful tooth during a painful sermon.......

[ Based on "A Helping Hand "by W J Jones 1996. Gareth Hicks 15.6.2000 D] 


Coal mining

The windlass or jack-roll , powered by manual labour, was a device for getting men and materials in and out of shallow pits that were worked in the C17.

George Owen , writing in the first decade of the C17, described how Pembrokeshire colliers ;

"sink their pits down right four square about six or seven feet square and with a windlass turned by four men they draw up the coals by rope, a barrelfull at once"

A typical pit might have sixteen workers , three of whom were miners hewing the coal with pickaxes, and 80 to 100 barrels a day were raised up the shaft.

[Based on Collieries of Wales by the RCAHMW. Gareth Hicks 5.June 2000 D]


The Pembrokeshire Collier

Sanitary Condition of Pembrokeshire from State of Mines Reports by Sir Hubert Mackworth.

In this county the seams of coal are thin, exceedingly contorted and uncertain, consisting for the most part of culme. For this reason the coal has been usually worked only by very shallow and temporary pits, affording occasional employment to the collier, who therefore often applies himself to agricultural and other labour. The number of hands at these pits is usually small, sometimes consisting of members of a family, of whom the women wind up and unload the coal, whilst man and boys are at work underground. The result of these circumstances is, that the Pembrokeshire collier differs but little in any respect from the agricultural labourer, and his gains but little exceed the payment for work on the surface off the ground. He is too poor to move to other localities, such as the valleys of Glamorganshire, where wages are much higher; and he has frequently a freehold or other interest in his cottage or hovel...thus keeping him tied..

From the Sir Herbert Mackworth Reports on conditions in mines. 31 January 1854  PRO POWE7/1

Mackworth's opinions may have been the exception rather than the rule. And people from Pembroke came into Glamorgan industries just as they did from other surounding counties.

As an example to show how many people from Pembrokshire there were in the industrial areas the 1851 Census for Merthyr Tydfil shows that the percentages of Pembrokeshire born individuals in the following districts were as follows

  • N. Georgetown 13.2%. Those born Glam. & Mon. 14.8%
  • Dowlas, New South Wales 13.9%. Those born Glam. & Mon. 8.7%
  • Pentrebach 7.0%. Those born Glam. & Mon. 14.1%

[Steve Keates 2 April 2001 G]


Emigration to South Africa

Question;

>From the latest Francis Jones book "Historic Pembrokeshire Houses...." (page 132 - Lampeter House) I have ascertained that the Rev. Edward Philipps, Rector of Lampeter Velfrey lived 1736 - 1793 and there is confirmation that "one son emigrated to South Africa". The book states that this was a brother of the Rev., but I suspect this may be wrong.

Response;

On a visit to "Settler Country" (Port Alfred/Grahamstown area) in South Africa about 25 years ago I noticed on a tourist/history map that 30 members of "Philipp's party" came from Pembrokeshire (the only Welsh party of 60 listed). All the party settled in the same area south of a place called Martindale, about 20/25 kilometres north of Port Alfred.

I visited the 1820 Settlers Monument complex and was shown a book containing an alphabetical list of the 1820 settlers.

I didn't have much time as far as I can remember, so by looking just for Welsh names I was able to identify 27 of the 30 members of "Philipps's party" who emigrated to Cape Province in the sailing ship "Kennersley Castle".

They were as follows:

  • Leader Thomas Philipps aged 44, a banker son of the Reverend Edward Phillipps of Lampeter Velfrey, his wife Charlotte (nee Arboin) aged 43 and their 7 children
  • Benjamin James aged 27
  • David James, 18
  • John James, 21
  • Ann John, 25
  • Charles Jones, 21, a joiner
  • William Jones, 26
  • Thomas Matthias, 22
  • Mary Owen, 20
  • Robert Owen, 23
  • Henry Phillip, 25
  • James Phillip, 23
  • William Phillip, 21
  • David Pugh, 23
  • Philip Richards, 25 and his wife
  • Mary Richards, 22
  • William Rickards, 21 ( I must have found him by accident!)
  • Martha Thomas, 18
  • Peter Williams, 25

It seems possible that most of these people came from the same area. Perhaps Thomas Philipps advertised in one of the local papers. Does any lister know any more?

[Gerry Lewis  D 22 Jan 2002]

Follow up;

There is an article "Tom's letters to his kinsfolk" in NLW Journal 1984..beginning page 357.......Charles Allen-Phillips and Thomas were partners in a failed Bank , and Thomas, probably to evade irate creditors, took his family off to South Africa.

[Bettye Kirkwood D 22 Jan 2002]

Whaling

up

 

 

 

There was a Whaling industry operating out of Milford Haven

The Whalers were mainly Quakers who had come over from Nantucky in 1792. It is probable that about 50 came - but some had left Milford by 1806.

In the little booklet by Stephen Griffiths -- A history of Quakers in Pembrokeshire there is mention of this.

[Basil Hughes 6 Oct 2000]


Some quotations from "Milford Haven: waterway & town" by Ken McKay & George Springer (Tempus, 1999 0-7524-1589-1)

"The first American Quaker whalemen arrived in Milford in August1792.....The original settlement comprised about 100 people and 5 whaling ships."

They were joined by a cousin, William Rotch who had set up in Dunkirk but was forced to move from France after the Revolution.

"This provided a much-needed boost to the Milford whaling industry".

"The whale ship Aurora carried the Starbuck & Folger families to Milford before setting off on a one-and-a-half year whaling trip to the southern oceans".

[Mary 6 Oct 2000 D]


I recently visited the excellent Milford Haven Museum on the harbour front.

It is housed in what was the whale oil factory into which barrels of the oil were offloaded from the whalers to be stored and processed into lamp oil. It was not used for this purpose after about 1820 when Milford developed into an  important fishing port. Whaling is one of the many interesting subject covered by the exhibits which have been put together and is run by a very enthusiastic band of volunteers. With its audio visual displays it covers Milford's history and it's previous importance as the main port of the Haven. Very well worth a visit if you are holidaying in Pembrokeshire.

[Joy  7 Oct 2000 D]

The Irish ferry service

up

 

 

 

Question;

> Does anyone know anything about the Irish Ferry service circa 1840's? Also known as the Milford Haven & Waterford shipping service, ran by a Mr. Jackson of Neyland and his partner a Mr. Ford of London?

Answer;

The only reference I can find is in a book called "The Railways of Pembrokeshire" by John Morris (SBN 901906204)

"..... a mail packet service having been established by 1824.. Pembroke Dock, Milford and Dunmore...

Meanwhile, Captain Thomas Jackson started a steamer service between Milford and Waterford, entering into partnership with Captain Robert Ford.

"On completion of the South Wales Railway [SWR] to Neyland, Jackson and Ford would operate their service from that port in connection with boat trains from Paddington [the London terminus]. The first sailing in connection with the SWR was in August 1856."

The book is mainly about the railways, but there is mention of the various steamers built for the route.

A later mention is this:

"...Ford and Jackson acquired their last steamer, the 793 ton Vulture....arrived on 12th July 1870. ...Ford and Jackson's fleet as it existed before the concern was taken over was thus a somewhat mixed bag. It seems likely that the problems of keeping the Waterford service going contributed greatly to the eventual decision of the Great Western [Railway] board [successors to the SWR] to take over the service themselves."

and in a later chapter:

"Ford & Jackson were therefore taken over on 1st February 1872, the purchase price being 36,500, for which the GWR got the Malakhoff, South of Ireland and Great Western. The Vulture was not purchased until April, when the GWR bought her for 9,000. Thus ended Captain Jackson's long career as owner of the cross-channel service, though by mutual agreement he remained at New Milford [Neyland] on a teporary basis as "Manager" .... until July 1873."

[Gerry Lewis 20 Jun 2001 P]

Orielton

up

 

 

 

 

Names in the History of Orielton

The information on this listing was taken from Pemb Hist Vol 5 Owen of Orielton

Compiled by Basil Hughes

Surname forename/2nd Res.   Date  Main Residence  Info

Wyrriott David (Sir) 1300 Orielton

Wyrriot Richard 1314 Orielton Sheriff of Carmarthen

Wyrriot Richard 1317 Orielton Sheriff of Carmarthen

Wyrriot Richard (Sir) 1323 Orielton

Wyrriot Richard/Manorbier 1384 Orielton  spouse:- Elen Huscard

Huscard Elen 1384 Orielton spouse:- Richard Wyrriot

Wyrriot Thomas 1459 OrieltonSheriff of Pembroke

Wyrriot Thomas 1482 Orielton

Wyrriot Henry 1526 Orielton     Lord of the moiety of Cosheston

Wyrriot Henry 1530 Orielton  spouse:- Margaret ap Thomas

ap Thomas\Wyrriot /Dynevor  Margaret 1530 Orielton  nat dau. of Sir Rhys ap Thomas spouse:- Henry Wyrriot

Wyrriot Henry 1542-44 OrieltonCommissioner lay subsidies Pem & Tenby

ap Hugh Owen 1545 Bodeon MP for Newborough-High Sheriff & JP 1563 spouse:- 1 Elizabeth 2 Isabel

Wyrriot Henry 1549 & 59 Orielton High Sheriff

Wyrriot Henry 1551 Orielton Escheator of Pembrokeshire

Owen Hugh /Orielton  1571 marr Bodeon     second son of Owen ab Hugh of Bodeon   spouse:- Elizabeth Wyrriot

Owen Hugh 1574 Orielton Recorder of Carmarthen spouse:- Elizabeth Wyrriot

Wyrriot George 1587 Orielton JP (supporter of the Earl of Essex)

Owen Morris 1588 dead Orielton son of Hugh Owen and Elizabeth

Phillips John 1590c Picton Castle    dau.Jane mar. George Wyrriot      spouse:- Elizabeth Gruffydd

Gruffydd Elizabeth /Picton Castle   1590c Penrhyn      spouse:- John Phillips

Phillips Jane/Orielton 1590c Picton Castle     daughter of John Phillips,Picton Castle        spouse:- George Wyrriot

Lloyd David/Pengwernoleu  1597-8 Forest Brechfa  son and heir of Griffith Lloyd   spouse:- Jane Owen -very unhappy

Wyrriot George 1599 Orielton  co-lord of several manors   spouse:- Jane Philipps

Wyrriot Elizabeth 1599c Orielton  dau & heiress of George Wyrriot   spouse:- Hugh Owen

up

Surname forename/2nd Res.   Date  Main Residence  Info

Wogan Morris 1603 Apr 21 Boulston   date of marriage spouse:- Francis Wogan

Owen Hugh, Colonel 1610 born Bodeon   eldest son of William and Jane Owen

Owen John 1612 Orielton  eldest son Hugh and Elizabeth spouse:- Dorothy Laugharne

Owen / Barlow/Creswell & Lawrenny     Mary 1612 Orielton   dau of John and Dorothy    spouse:- Lewis Barlow

Owen Anne/Stone Hall & Trecwn  1612 Oct 8 Orielton   dau of John and Dorothy    spouse:- 1 Wogan 2 Owen

Owen John 1612 Oct 8 Orielton 2nd son John and Dorothy

Owen Arthur /Newmoat  1612 Oct 8 Orielton  3rd son of John and Dorothy    spouse:- Mary Philipps (wdw)

Phillips Mary /Newmoat 1612? Picton Castle  dau of Sir John Philipps Picton Castle   spouse:- 1Scourfield 2 Owen

Phillips/Scourfield Mary /Newmoat   1612? Picton Castle   dau of Sir John Phillips   wdw of John Scourfield

Scourfield John 1612? Newmoat   widow mar Arthur Owen       spouse:- Mary Philipps

Owen Richard 1613 Orielton  son of Hugh & Lucy Owen?

Owen Jane /Forest Brechfa 1613 Orielton   dau of Hugh Owen and Elizabeth   spouse:- David Lloyd

Owen William /Bodeon 1613 Orielton   second son of Hugh and Elizabeth     spouse:- Jane Williams

Williams Jane/Vaynol   1610c Orielton    daughter of William Williams of Vaynol    spouse:- William Owen

Owen Ann /Presaddfed Anglesey   1613 Orielton   dau of Hugh and Elizabeth     spouse:- John Lewis

Owen Percy 1613 Orielton   son of Hugh and Lucy?

Owen Francis/Boulston   1613 Orielton   married 1603 Nov 10 dau.Hugh\Elizabeth    spouse:- Morris Wogan

Owen Sibyl /Wiston 1613 Orielton   dau of Hugh Owen and Elizabeth    spouse:- William Wogan

Wyrriot Hugh/Bodowen     1613-14 Feb 8 Orielton  died buried Monkton spouse:- 1 Elizabeth 2 Lucy?

Laugharne John 1613c St Brides  son was Major General Rowland Laugharne    spouse:- Janet Owen

Owen Janet/St Brides     1613c Orielton   dau of Hugh and Elizabeth    spouse:- John Laugharne

Lewis John 1613c Presaddfed Anglesey    kinsman of his wife     spouse:- Ann Owen

Owen Lucy 1613c Orielton   Widow of Sir James Wotton    spouse:- Hugh Owen

Wogan William 1625 died Wiston     had 12 children died at Lawrenny     spouse:- Sibyl Owen

Owen Hugh Sir 1629 Orielton   1629 1st wife died    spouse:- Frances Philipps

up

Surname forename/2nd Res.   Date  Main Residence  Info

Owen Elizabeth/Carnarvonshire   1629 Orielton   dau of Sir Hugh and Frances     spouse:- John Glynne

Owen Dorothy 1629 Orielton    dau of Sir Hugh and Frances    unmarried alive 1670

Owen Mary /Moat   1629 Orielton    dau of Sir Hugh and Katherine   spouse:- William Scourfield

Lewis \ Owen Katherine /Prescoed  1629(after)mar Orielton  widow of John Lewis of Prescoed   spouse:- Sir Hugh Owen

Owen Hugh Sir 1629(after)mar Orielton  spouse:- 2 Katherine Lewis

Philipps/Owen Francis/Orielton   1629 died Picton Castle dau of Sir John Philipps Picton Castle   spouse:- Sir Hugh Owen

Owen William/Bodoen     1631 Orielton  spouse:- Jane Williams

Owen Anne/Stone Hall     1631 marr. (1) Orielton   dau of John & Dorothy    spouse:- William Wogan

Wogan William 1631m 1645 died Stone Hall St Lawrence parish    had a son and two daughters spouse:- Anne Owen

Owen Arthur 1633 Orielton   called to the Bar

Wogan Morris 1640 Apr 21 died Boulston   spouse:- Francis Owen

Laugharne Rowland Mjr Gen. 1640s St Brides   son of John Laugharne and Janet Owen

Barlow Lewis 1641 & 1668 Cresswell & Lawrenny    High Sheriff    spouse:- Mary Owen

Owen Arthur 1643 Orielton   Mjr in Laugharne's Army afterwards Colonel

Owen Arthur 1645-48 & 54-5 Orielton    M.P also from 1660 till his death

Owen (2nd Baronet) Sir Hugh 1645? born Orielton    son of Sir Hugh and Katherine

Owen Arthur 1647 baptised Richmond Surrey     son of Sir Hugh and Katherine

Wogan nee Owen Anne (wdw) /Trecwn   1648 marr Orielton Stone Hall

Owen nee Laugharne Dorothy/(St Brides) 1652-3 died 70yr Orielton  widow of John Owen who died in 1612    spouse:- John Owen

Lewis/Owen Anne/Orielton   1655 Presaddfed    her mother married her father in law     spouse:- John Owen

Lewis\Owen\Trevor Anne 1655 after Orielton   after death of John Owen married    spouse:- Colonel Trevor

Owen John 1655 Dec 21died Orielton   eldest son of Sir Hugh and Frances 21yrs    spouse:- Anne Lewis

Owen Wyrriot 1657 died pre Orielton   son of Sir Hugh and Frances

Owen/Wogan Francis /Philbeach   1658-9 died Boulston dau. Hugh\Elizabeth -widow of Morris   spouse:- Morris Wogan

Owen Henry 1659 Oct 21 Bodeon  second son of William and Jane Owen spouse:- Elizabeth Gwyn

up

Surname forename/2nd Res.   Date  Main Residence  Info

Owen Hugh, Colonel 1659 Oct 21 died Bodeon eldest son of William and Jane Owen

Gwyn Elizabeth/Maesoglen   1659c  Bodoen   dau.& heiress of Hugh Gwyn of Maesoglen   spouse:- Henry Owen

Owen (2nd Baronet) Sir Hugh 1660 & 1678-81 Orielton  MP - also from 1689-91 High Sheriff 64   spouse:- Anne Owen

Owen John 1662 Newmoat    son of Arthur and Mary    spouse:- Dorothy Owen

Scourfield William 1663 Moat    High Sheriff    spouse:- Mary Owen

Owen Anne/Orielton 1664 Bodoen & Maesoglen    dau. heiress of Henry and Elizabeth Owen    spouse:- Hugh Owen

Owen Henry (1) 1664 (after) Orielton    son of Anne and Sir Hugh - died young

Owen Henry (2) 1664 (after) Orielton   son of Anne and Sir Hugh - died young

Owen Dorothy 1664 after Orielton      dau of Anne and Sir Hugh - died young

Owen John 1664 after Orielton       son of Anne and Sir Hugh - died young

Owen William 1664 after Orielton    son of Anne and Sir Hugh - died young

Owen (2nd Baronet) Sir Hugh/Orielton   1664 marr Landshipping   son of Sir Hugh and Katherine    spouse:- Anne Owen

Owen Dorothy/Newmoat 1666 Trecwn     dau and heiress of Thomas Owen - Trecwn    spouse:- John Owen

Owen John 1666 married Newmoat   wife dau and heiress of Thomas Owen     spouse:- Dorothy Owen

Owen Arthur /Johnston Hall  1668 marr Orielton   son of Sir Hugh and Katherine     spouse:- Elizabeth Horsey

Owen Sir Hugh 1670 died 66yrs Orielton     spouse:- Katherine Owen

Owen Elizabeth /Park, Merioneth   1670c Orielton    dau of Anne and Sir Hugh    spouse:- 1 William L Annwyl

Owen Katherine/Orielton    (widow) 1671 Landshipping   granted six farms by her son Sir Hugh    spouse:- Sir Hugh Owen

Wogan Edward 1674 born Boulston  son of Lewis Wogan of Boulston    spouse:- Mary Owen

Owen Arthur /Orielton   1678 died Newmoat   spouse:- Mary Philipps (wdw)

Owen Arthur 1678-81,85-95 Pembroke   MP    spouse:- Mary Powell

Owen John 1678-9 Newmoat   MP    spouse:- Dorothy Owen

Barlow Lewis 1681 Aug 6 died Cresswell & Lawrenny   left issue   spouse:- Mary Owen

Horsey/Owen Elizabeth 1681 died Johnson Hall    dau of Cpt John Horsey/Elizabeth     spouse:- Arthur Owen

Powell/Owen Mary 1683 Aug 4 marr Pembroke and Tamworth    dau of Morgan Powell of Pembroke   spouse:- Arthur Owen

up

Surname forename/2nd Res.   Date  Main Residence  Info

Owen Arthur 1683 Jan 8 marr2 Kensington   spouse:- Mary Powell

Owen/ Wogan Mary /Llanstinan   1686? Newmoat - Trecwn    dau & heiress John & Dorothy    spouse:- Hugh Wogan

Owen John 1686? died Newmoat   dau and heiress Mary Owen    spouse:- Dorothy Owen

Owen Charles 1686c born Orielton   son of Anne and Sir Hugh Owen     spouse:- Dorothy Corbett

Owen/Annwyl Elizabeth 1689 pre Orielton   dau of Anne & Sir Hugh    spouse:- 2 Mr Brereton

Owen/Scourfield Mary /Orielton   1693 Mar 19 diedMoat   dau of Sir Hugh and Katherine aged 50    spouse:- William Scourfield

Scourfield William 1695 died Moat   had issue     spouse:- Mary Owen

Owen (3rd Baronet) Sir Arthur 1695,1701-11,14 Orielton  MP-Mayor Pemb. 1704-6, 24,High Sheriff 07 spouse:- Emma Williams

Owen (4th Baronet) Sir William 1697 born approx Orielton

Owen Wyrriot 1697 Feb 1 Orielton    son of Anne and Hugh - admit Grays Inn

Owen John 1698 born Orielton     younger brother of Sir William (4th Bar) spouse:- Anne Owen

Owen Colonel John 1698 born approxOrielton

Owen Arthur 1698 died Pembroke     no surviving issue spouse:- Mary Powell

Owen (2nd Baronet) Sir Hugh 1698-9 died Orielton     spouse:- Katherine Annwyl

Owen (3rd Baronet) Sir Arthur 1699 Orielton  inherited   spouse:- Emma Williams

Annwyl\Owen Katherine 1699 died Orielton      spouse:- Sir Hugh Owen

Owen (2nd Baronet) Sir Hugh 1699(pre)m2 Orielton     marr 2nd time - widow of Lewis Annywyl spouse:- Katherine Annywyl

Owen Mary /Boulston 1700 marr Orielton     dau of Anne & Sir Hugh     spouse:- Edward Wogan

Owen Catherine/Chester 1700c Orielton      dau of Anne and Sir Hugh     spouse:- John Williams

Owen Wyrriot/Talbenny 1700c marr Robeston House   marr widow of Sackville Crow died 1700  spouse:- Dorothy Crow

Owen Arthur/Chelsea 1701 born approx Orielton     son of Sir Arthur and Emma     spouse:- Martha Smale/Shewen

Williams John 1702 Chester      Attorney General of Denbigh & Montgomery     spouse:- Catherine Owen

Wogan Edward 1702 pre died Orielton   age approx 27       spouse:- Mary Owen

Owen\Crow Dorothy/Roberston House 1704 died Johnston      wdw of Sackville Crow       spouse:- Wyrriot Owen

Owen Wyrriot/Talbenny     1715 died Roberston House       son of Anne and Sir Hugh     spouse:- Dorothy Crow wdw

Owen Charles died age 30 1716 Nash, Langum parish      had issue       spouse:- Dorothy Corbett

up

Surname forename/2nd Res.   Date  Main Residence  Info

Corbett\Owen Dorothy 1716 pre Nash, Langum parish  spouse:- Wyrriot Owen

Colby Lawrence 1716  Feb 7 Bangeston nr Pembroke      appointed by Sir Arthur -cornet-militia

Owen\Barlow Anne wdw 1718 after Lawrenny       spouse:- Thomas Cornwallis

Barlow Hugh 1718 pre Lawrenny       son of John Barlow and Anne Owen       spouse:- 1 Anne Skyrme

Owen Anne/Lawrenny   1718 pre Orielton      dau of Anne and Sir Hugh     spouse:- John Barlow

Barlow John 1718 died Lawrenny         High Sheriff 1705 Anne was second wife.         spouse:- Anne Owen

Barlow Anne /Nash,Langum parish 1718c Lawrenny       dau of John Barlow and Anne Owen               spouse:- Wyrriot Owen (cousin

Barlow Dorothy/Pricaston     1718c Lawrenny      dau of John Barlow and Anne Owen        spouse:- John Lort.

Barlow Hugh 1718c? Lawrenny         son of John Barlow and Anne Owen                   spouse:- 2 Elizabeth Owen

Williams Anne 1720c Chester       dau and heiress of John and Catherine     spouse:- Sir William Owen

Owen (4th Baronet) Sir William 1722 Orielton     MP served for 51 years     spouse:- Elizabeth Lloyd

Owen Margaret 1724 Orielton         dau of Sir Arthur and Emma unmarried

Owen Wyrriot 1724 pre Orielton         son of Sir Arthur and Emma died young

Owen Anne 1724 pre died Orielton       dau of Sir Arthur and Emma died young

Owen Dorothy 1724 pre died Orielton       dau of Sir Arthur and Emma died young

Owen Hugh 1 1724 pre died Orielton         son of Sir Arthur and Emma died young

Owen Catherine 1724 pre died Orielton           dau of Sir Arthur and Emma died young

Owen Hugh 2 1724 pre died Orielton        son of Sir Arthur and Emma died young

Williams/Owen Emma/Orielton  1724 Sep 17died Lanforda Denbighshire      only daughter of Sir William Williams    spouse:- Sir Arthur Owen

Lloyd Thomas 1725 Grove      dau Elizabeth marr Sir William Owen     spouse:- Mary Gwyn

Lloyd \Owen Elizabeth/Orielton     1725 Dec 12marr Grove  dau & coheiress Thomas Lloyd of Grove   spouse:- Sir William Owen

Owen (4th Baronet) Sir William 1725 Dec 12 marrOrielton       spouse:- Elizabeth Lloyd

Owen (5th Baronet) Sir Hugh/Orielton   1729 Chester   son of Anne and Sir William    spouse:- Anne Colby

Owen Anne 1729 after Orielton   dau of Anne & Sir William died unmarried.

Owen Arthur/Apsley Bedfordshire   1729 after Orielton   Lt Col 3rd Foot Guards spouse:- Anne Thursby

up

Surname forename/2nd Res.   Date  Main Residence  Info

Owen Elizabeth /Penrhos Anglesey   1731 marr 1 Orielton   dau of Sir Arthur and Emma    spouse:- William Owen

Cornwallis Hon. Thomas 1732 died      spouse:- Anne Owen\Barlow

Willaims \ Owen Anne/Orielton      1734 after marr Chester   dau of John Williams\Catherine Owen   spouse:- Sir William Owen

Owen Elizabeth /Lawrenny   1736 marr 2 Orielton   dau of Sir Arthur & Emma wdw W. Owen    spouse:- Hugh Barlow

Owen John (Colonel) 1736 Nov 5 marr Orielton   bro of Sir William (4th Baronet)    spouse:- Anne Owen

Owen\Owen Anne/Ireland    1736 Nov 5 marr Nash    dau of Charles Owen and Dorothy Corbet    spouse:- John Owen (Col)

Owen ( 7th Baronet) Arthur/Orielton     1740 Sep 29 Covent Garden  son of Col John Owen and Anne Owen unmarried

Owen (4th Baronet) Sir William 1743 after marr2Orielton   she was his cousin    spouse:- Anne Williams

Lloyd \Owen Elizabeth /Orielton   1743 approx died Grove  dau of Thomas Lloyd   spouse:- Sir William Owen

Owen William 1746 Sep 30 born Rotterdam  son of Col John Owen and Anne Owen

Owen Hugh Michael (Rev)/Aberffraw   1748 Sep 29 born Frith St Soho son of Col John Owen and Anne Owen    spouse:- 1 ? Lyon,2A.Griffith

Owen Emma/Lawrenny 1749 Dec 30 Dublin   dau of Col John Owen and Anne Owen     spouse:- Hugh Owen\Barlow

Owen Charles Lt 59th Foot 1750 c   son of Col John Owen and Anne Owen unmarried

Owen\Lord Corbetta /Pembroke   1750-1 Feb 17 bn Dublin   dau of Col John Owen and Anne Owen     spouse:- Joseph Lord

Owen\Owen Anne/Nash   1750-1 Feb 21 d Dublin   died after birth of dau Corbetta    spouse:- John Owen (Col)

Owen John (Colonel) 1750-61 Ireland    became Lt Gov. bro Sir William (4th Bar)    spouse:- Anne Owen

Owen Emma/Williamston      1751 Orielton    dau of Sir Arthur and Emma      spouse:- William Bowen

Owen (3rd Baronet) Sir Arthur 1754 Jun 6 died Orielton      spouse:- Emma Williams

Owen Arthur/Paddington      1757 born approx Chelsea    1801 son of Arthur and Martha- became parson unmarried

Bowen William 1762 died Williamston   spouse:- Emma Owen

Barlow Hugh 1763 died Lawrenny      spouse:- Elizabeth Owen

Willaims\Owen Anne 1764 Dec 21 died Orielton       spouse:- Sir William Owen

Owen Elizabeth/Dyffryn 1764 marr Orielton  dau of Anne & Sir William     spouse:- Thomas Price

Owen (5th Baronet) Sir Hugh 1770-86 Orielton       MP also Colonel of Pemb. Militia      spouse:- Anne Colby

Owen William (Brig Gen)/Marinique  1771 Jun 11 marr Dublin     son of Col John Owen and Anne   spouse:- Anne Tripp

up

Surname forename/2nd Res.   Date  Main Residence  Info

Thursby \Owen Anne /Apsley   1774 Jul 8 Abingdon  dau of John Harvey Thursby    spouse:- Arthur Owen

Owen Arthur /Apsley Bedfordshire   1774 Jul 8 marr Orielton  son of Anne & Sir William    spouse:- Anne Thursby

Owen\Lord Corbetta /Dublin   1774 marr Pembroke   dau of Col John and Anne Owen    spouse:- Joseph Lord

Owen William/Lawrenny   1775 Apr 11born Port Mahon Minorca    son of William Owen (B.Gen)\Anne Tripp unmarried

Colby\Owen Anne/Orielton     1775 Sep 16 marr Bletherston  dau of Grace and John Colby     spouse:- Sir Hugh Owen

Owen (5th Baronet) Sir Hugh 1775 Sep 16 marr Orielton  son of Anne And Sir William     spouse:- Anne Colby

Owen\Bowen Emma/Williamston 1777 approx died Orielton   dau of Sir Arthur and Emma -no issue    spouse:- William Bowen

Lord \Owen John 1777 born Pembroke    son of Joseph Lord and Corbetta Owen     spouse:- 1Charlotte 2 Mary

Owen\Price Elizabeth /Orielton   1777 Feb 20 died   Dyffryn       dau of Anne & Sir William     spouse:- Thomas Price

Shewen\Smale\Owen Martha/Chelsea    1781 Swansea    dau of Mjr Shewen, wdw Alexander Smale    spouse:- Arthur Owen

Owen (4th Baronet) Sir William 1781 May 7 died Orielton  age 84 spouse:- Anne Williams

Owen (6th Baronet) Sir Hugh 1782 Sep 12 brn Orielton  only child of Sir Hugh and Anne Colby unmarried

Owen (5th Baronet) Sir Hugh 1786 Jan 15 died Orielton  age 57 spouse:- Anne Colby

Owen\Owen\Barlow Elizabeth 1788 Nov died Lawrenny  dau of Sir Arthur and Emma twice widowed   spouse:- Hugh Barlow

Owen\Barlow Emma /Lawrenny, Dublin   1788 Oct died Bath  dau of Col John Owen and Anne Owen   spouse:- Hugh Owen\Barlow

Owen\Barlow Hugh 1789 Lawrenny    son of Wyrriot Owen and Anne Barlow       spouse:- 1Emma, 2 Anne

Owen Arthur 1790 died Apsley       son of Anne and Sir William   spouse:- Anne Thursby

Owen William (Brig Gen) 1795 died Fort St George Martinique (yellow fever)       son of Col John Owen and Anne Owen spouse:- Anne Tripp

Owen Hugh (Royal Navy) 1801 drowned Aberffraw      son of Rev Hugh M Owen and Anne unmarried

Owen Arthur Rev 1805 died ? Paddington      son of Martha and Arthur

Lord\Owen John /Orielton  1809 Pembroke      inherited the Orielton Estates-changed name   spouse:- 1 Charlotte 2 Mary

Owen (6th Baronet) Sir Hugh 1809 Orielton   MP also was High Sheriff of Pemb 1804 unmarried

Owen (7th Baronet) Sir Arthur /India   1809 Orielton  succeded to the title unmarried

Owen (6th Baronet) Sir Hugh 1809 Aug 8 died Orielton  age 27 unmarried

Owen\Barlow Hugh 1809 Jan 23 died Lawrenny  age 79 spouse:- 2 Anne Barlow

up

Surname forename/2nd Res.   Date  Main Residence  Info

Tripp\Owen Anne/Martinique   1809 Sep 20 died Huntspill and Taunton      dau of John Tripp, Huntspill and Taunton spouse:- William Owen (B.Gen)

Griffiths\Owen Anne /Bangor   1810 c Aberffraw     dau of William Edwards of Bangor   spouse:- Rev Hugh M Owen

Thursby\Owen\Hart Anne/Abingdon     1810 Jun died Bath\ Apsley remarried after Arthur Owen died     spouse:- Colonel Hart of Bath

Owen Hugh Michael (Rev) 1810 Mar died Aberffrawson of Col John and Anne Owen   spouse:- 2 Anne Griffiths wdw

Owen Sir John 1810-41 Orielton     MP spouse:- 1 Charlotte 2 Mary

Owen Charles 1812 died Aberffraw   son of Rev Hugh M Owen and Anne unmarried

Lord\Owen John 1813 Jan 12 Orielton   created Baronet spouse:- 1 Charlotte 2 Mary

Owen ( 8th Baronet) William/Lawrenny     1817 Middle Temple   inherited title on death of his uncle unmarried

Owen (7th Baronet) Sir Arthur /India   1817 Jan 4 died Orielton  had been Adjutant General in E.India unmarried

Owen John /Aberffraw  Mjr 61st Foot 1820 died Jamaica  son of Rev Hugh M. Owen and Anne unmarried

Colby\Owen Anne/Bath, London.   1823 Apr 11 died Orielton, Lawrenny     spouse:- Sir Hugh Owen

Owen Elizabeth Anne/Aberffraw   1828 died Weston nr Bath   dau of Rev Hugh M Owen and Anne unmarried

Owen Arthur /Aberffraw Mjr 1835 died Bengal    son of Rev Hugh M Owen and Anne unmarried

Owen (8th Baronet) Sir William/Lawrenny     1844 Aug 5 Middle Temple  changed name to Owen Barlow unmarried

Barlow Anne /Aldeburgh   1844 died Lawrenny  dau of Philip Champion de Crespigny MP spouse:- Hugh Owen Barlow

Owen Barlow (8.Bar) William/Lawrenny     1851 Feb 25 died5 Fig Tree Court Temple London  last baronet of the 1641 creation unmarried

Owen Sir John 1861 Feb 6 Taynton  Orielton estate had been sold 1857 to pay debts spouse:- 1 Charlotte 2 Mary

[Basil Hughes]

up


 

The Secret Diary of Orielton School Aged 121 1/2

Today I have loaned from the library in Pembroke "The Secret Diary of Orielton School Aged 121 1/2", it contains extracts from the school log 1873-1901, attendance, sicknesses, punishments etc.

The teachers were ;

HEADMASTERS

  • John CRISP, Dec 1873-Oct 1877
  • Walter COOPER, Nov 1877-Nov 1882
  • Arthur STEPHENS, Nov 1882-Jun 1889
  • John HITCHINGS, Jun 1889-July 1898
  • Joseph MASON, Aug 1898-May 1918

OTHER TEACHERS

  • Emily CRISP (Pupil teacher) -Dec 1873-Sep 1875
  • John ADAMS (Pupil teacher) - Jun 1874-Oct 1877
  • David MORRIS (pt) - Sep 1875-Oct 1879
  • Eliza COOPER (sewing) - 1877-Nov 1882
  • George WILLIAMS (pt) - Oct 1879-Dec 1885
  • Ellen STEPHENS (sewing) - Nov 1882-1889
  • Herbert MAJOR (pt) - Oct 1885-Feb 1890
  • E A WILLIAMS (pt) - 1889-Oct 1891
  • Mrs HITCHINGS (sewing) - 1889-1898
  • Oswald HITCHINGS ( Asst.) - Feb 1890-1895
  • Louis ANDREWS (pt) - Oct 1891-Mar 1893
  • Sarah JONES - Mar 1893-Apr 1894
  • Winnifred HITCHINGS (pt) - Apr 1894-July 1898
  • Louisa MORRIS (monitress) - 1st part 1896
  • Clara ROBLIN (pt) - Aug 1898-Dec 1898
  • William THACKER - Oct 1898-Dec 1898
  • Elinor MASON (sewing) - 1898-May 1909 & Aug 1918-May 1919
  • Miss BUNSELL (pt) - Jan 1899-July 1919
  • Miss WEBB (pt) - Jan 1900-July 1900
  • Miss M LAWRENCE (uncertified) - Aug 1900-Mar 1941

[Sandra  Davies   D  30 Nov 2001]

Angle

up

 

 

 

For more information about Angle parish, see Genuki


Bangeston

[According to the  Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Wales]

The 'mere shell of a mansion " seen by Fenton (Tour, 1810 p. 404} has practically vanished, and in its grounds immediately to the north-east now stands a coast-guard station. The site of what was once the fishpond is easily found.-Visited, 8th June 1922

The earliest record of the Benegers of Bangeston appears to be in 1172, when a branch of the family took part with Strongbow in the Irish Invasion. There is an Irish saying that anything very astounding 'beats Banagher.' Could that have arisen from any feats performed by the Benegers ?

One Ralph Beneger of  Bangeston rebuilt Pwllcrochan Church in 1342. It contains two inscriptions recording his name, and an effigy of him in his canonical habit, as Rector.

Griffith Dawes of Bangeston is the next owner of whom we hear, though how it became his does not appear, possibly by marriage with a Beneger heiress. He was the son of Henry Dawes, by Lettice, daughter of William Walters of Roch  (her brother's daughter, the famous Lucy Walters, went to France and there met Charles II., by whom she became the mother of the ill-fated Duke of Monmouth). Henry Dawes was the son of Griffith Dawes, whose widow Joan, daughter of Richard Fletcher, married Henry White of Henllan, near Pwllcrochan (now a ruin), who was Sheriff in 1592. Griffith was the son of Nicholas Dawes, by Katherine Butler of Johnston .Griffith Dawes of Bangeston was Sheriff in 1665. His only daughter and heiress, Ann, married Griffith White, son of Henry White of Henllan, who was Sheriff in 1658. The  Whites were a very old Tenby family, and acquired Henllan through Jestina Eynon, daughter and heiress of John Eynon of Henllan, who married John White.

One Griffith White of Henllan, three times Sheriff, was buried in Rhoscrowther Church in 1589. Henry, or Harry Dawes, father of Griffith Dawes of Bangeston, appears, according to Lewis Dwnn, to have lived at Castlemartin. This fits in with the theory that Bangeston came into the family by Griffith's marriage; but it is also possible that Henry lived at Castlemartin during his father's lifetime, if his father was at Bangeston.

On June I6, 1686, Griffith Dawes of Bangeston, or, as it is put, ' of Banaston in the Parishe of Nangle, Esqre.,' Thomas Lort, of Eastmoor, Manorbier, and Francis Dawes of Pembroke, gent., with Devereux Hammond, James Lloyd and Francis Smith of ' Tenbie,' gents., as representatives of Alice Bowen of Gloucester spinster bought from Thomas Williams of St. Florence, for 290 10s., the land of Carswell (at St. Florence), then occupied by Richard Rowe, ' for the relief of the poor and aged of Tenbie.' The farm, to this day, belongs half to the Trustees of the Tenby Charities, and half to the Rector and Church-wardens of St. Mary's, Tenby .

Griffith Dawes of Bangeston, as before stated, had an only daughter, Ann, who married Griffith, son of Henry White of Henllan. Griffith died before his father, leaving an only child, Elizabeth, who thus inherited Bangeston from her grandfather. Griffith Dawes of Bangeston died January 16, 1692, aged seventy, his monument, with a small marble coat of arms bearing the three ' Daws was one of three monuments which were rescued from destruction when the south transept of Angle Church became ruinous, and was pulled down They were replaced a few years ago, pieced together as far as broken fragments would allow, in the north transept. One of the other two is a plain grey marble tablet to Mrs. Elizabeth Pritchard, sister of Mrs. Alice Dawes (probably Griffith's wife), who died January 17, 1725, aged eighty-six; the other, a hand-some marble monument surmounted by a coat of arms, to Brigadier-General  Thomas Ferrers, the third husband of Elizabeth White, grand-daughter of Griffith Dawes of Bangeston, who died October 26, 1722.

Elizabeth White married four times. First, Thomas Lort, son of Sampson Lort of Eastmoor, Manorbier (Sampson Lort, John Lort of Prickeston, and Sir Roger Lort of Stackpole were brothers; sons of Henry Lort of Stackpole, Sheriff in 1619). Grandfather Dawes is said to have disapproved of the match, and to have hurried across the fields from Bangeston to Angle Church to stop the wedding; but Thomas (a sailor) and the wily Elizabeth had got a chaplain with a special licence at the boat-house at the foot of Bangeston Hill, and so outwitted the irate old gentleman, crossing the Haven afterwards in a boat.

EIizabeth's second husband was Richard, Viscount Bulkeley; then came Brigadier-General Thomas Ferrers, to whom she erected the marble monument already mentioned, on which she describes him as her ' truely mourned and dearly beloved husband,' Lastly, she married John Hook, who was Sheriff in 1755, and who survived her. She left no children by any of her husbands, and John Hook therefore bequeathed Bangeston to his godson and namesake, John Hook Campbell, Lyon King at Arms; he was a grandson of Sir Alexander, who married Miss Lort of Stackpole, brother of Sir Plyse Campbell, and uncle of John, first. Baron Cawdor; he died in 1795. His son Matthew married. Ellstacia, daughter of Francis Basset, of Heanton Court Devon, and had a son, also Matthew (who married Anne, daughter of William Adams of Holyland, and died without issue), and three daughters, co-heiresses; of whom Eustacia married her cousin Sir George Campbell, G.C.B., brother of John, First Baron Cawdor; he died in 1821, leaving no issue.

Matthew Campbell appears to have got into money difficulties which obliged him to sell Bangeston; the valuable lead roof was stripped off, and everything removed that could be turned into money, and the bare walls soon assumed the look of ruin and decay. This must have happened after 1789, as Richard Gough, in an Addendum to Camden, mentions Bangeston as then occupied, and Fenton in 1811 laments its ruined state and recalls its remembered hospitality, therefore the dismantling must have occurred some time between these two dates.

Fenton also mentions its 'Norman founder'; if this is correct he must have founded an older house than the ruin we now see, whose long, unfortified facade, large oblong windows and general sumptuous style point to much later and less troubled times, when the fear of the enemy was not constantly before men's eyes. The walled enclosure immediately in front of the house, now overgrown with trees, and a carpet of daffodils in spring, called the Bowling Green. There is a large kitchen garden with magnificently high walls, an artificial pond in the wood adjoining, and traces of an old water-mill; also an avenue of beeches, leading away to the westward, still recalls the glories of the old house . Matthew Campbell was a great friend of Fenton's, and entertained him at his house in Pembroke on his Tour in 1811.

Bangeston, with Hall, Angle, and the bulk of the Angle property, was bought in 1805 by John Mirehouse, Esq., as already stated, from Lord Cawdor, and remains in his family to the present day. Bangeston being a ruin, Hall became the dwelling-house, but at the time of purchase the family resided (as Lord Cawdor's tenants) at Brownslade, and did not take up their residence at Hall until 1864.

[Basil Hughes]


According to "On the State of Education in Wales" 1847

PARISH OF ANGLE.-on the 26th of December I visited the above parish, which is  served by the same clergyman as Warren. He resides at Angle. There is a small school in the village kept by a person who is also a baker and keeps one or two cows. The school had been broken up for the Christmas holidays, and would not be open for the next three weeks. The master receives annually from the sinecure Rector, the Reverend W. North, Professor of Latin Literature at St. David's College, Lampeter, 5. for educating eight poor children of the Parish; and an additional 5. from Mrs. Mirehouse, the lady of the principal resident proprietor of the parish for educating 10 others.

The inhabitants of the village are chiefly fishermen. The labourers who live in the parish are very poor. Wages are 8d. per day with food, or ls. on their own finding. Mr. Dalton informed me that there had not to his knowledge been any wrecking for the last four or five years. Wrecking was not confined to the labouring class, but extended also to the farmers, who would not scruple to take possession of any articles which might be thrown ashore.

The school-room was open-roofed, rendered, and in good repair. It was part of a dwelling-house. The schoolmaster's mother lived in the other part. The proprietor of the parish is paid 3. lOs. per annum for the house. There was a garden belonging to it.( In 1935 Angle -- a report of county school inspections singled this school out as being the worst in the county as far as vulnerability to disease and epidemic because of primitive hygiene facilities.)


The Loch Sheil wreck

1894 January. Loch Sheil a ship with a cargo of whisky went down of Thorn Island much was alleged to have been smuggled ashore by Angle residents

According to Mason writing in 1905

"On the night of the 30th January, 1894, a large merchant ship named the "Loch Shiel," laden chiefly with cases of Scotch whisky for Australia, on making the Haven for shelter, ran aground on the rocks at the back of Thorn Island, practically the northern boundary of West Angle Bay. On this occasion Mr. Mirehouse, of Angle, and the crew of the lifeboat, did some brave work in rescuing the crew of the unfortunate ship, which ultimately became a total wreck. The cargo and wreckage floated about the harbour for weeks after, the Salvage of which did not all find its way to the Receiver of Wrecks."

Perhaps the following sidelights will demonstrate:-

Some Cottages not very far from the scene underwent rapid internal alterations smooth walls freshly papered where cup-boards appeared before.

On an occasion of a villager's marriage at Dale, which took place shortly after the wreck, a yacht laden with a visiting party from Pembroke Dock, fired a salute from two cannon on board, Which, by the way, disturbed all the crows in the surrounding woods, not a few which, if not very musical, added fresh interest to the event of the happy couple and procession returning from the church . The visitors from the yacht were duly invited to partake of supper on shore, and on sitting down to a well-provided table, each yachtsman faced a bottle of whisky, manufactured on the premises, no doubt. However, it tasted Scotch; and contributed to the making of much joy during the evening, finally rendering beds and blankets superfluous articles to the yachting guests that night.

[Basil Hughes]

Mariners from Pembrokeshire on the Cardiff 1871 census

up

 

 

 

This list is not complete in any sense . It is a list of mariners or those in maritime trades showing Pembrokeshire roots  that has been extracted from an index being compiled by Phil Roderick for the Cardiff 1871 census which is being transcribed by Jennie Newman and Lynn John. At this date [Oct 2001] only some 5000 of the c 50,000 entries for Cardiff have been  so transcribed.

[Phil Roderick  24 Oct 2001]


up