Fall River, Mass.
A stereoview panorama of
Fall River, dating from about the 1870s. The church whose spire is visible to
the right of center is the Unitarian Church, on North Main St., which was
later destroyed by fire.
A view of the
Taunton River, looking west from Rock St. toward Somerset, from a book of
photographs of Fall River published in 1891, showing the still rural
landscape in an area that is now densely populated near the center of the
Looking across the
Taunton River from Somerset to some of the mills along the Fall River
waterfront. Taken from a book of photographs of the city published in 1891.
St. Mary's Church,
on Second St., the first Catholic Church in Fall River, whose congregation
was established in 1830. The cornerstone of the church building was laid
in 1850, and the church was dedicated in 1855. The church is known today
as the Cathedral of St. Mary of the Assumption. The original church
building is still in use, and underwent renovations most recently in 2000.
This photo was published in a book of photographs of the city in1891.
Patrick's Church, on South Main St., in the south end of the city. St.
Patrick's was established in1875, with a predominantly Irish congregation.
The church is still in use today. In
2002, St. Patrick's parish was merged with Our Lady of Angels &
Blessed Sacrament and renamed Community of the Good Shepherd.
The parish will be located in the original St. Patrick's Church.
Corners, about the late 1890s
Durfee High School, 1905
A view of South Main St.
from the corner of Pleasant St., card postmarked 1906
View of Highland Avenue, looking north, about 1906
Beach, about 1907
Park and Hood Street, about 1907
Pond at South Park, now Kennedy Park, 1910
Park, about 1912
A view across the Taunton
River to the Iron Works and other mills, circa 1908.
The Pocasset Mill, 1908, a
typical Fall River textile mill.
Bedford St., corner of South Main, circa 1910
North Main St., looking south, circa
North Main St., looking north,
The Arkwright and
Barnaby Cotton Mills, looking across the Quequechan River, 1917
American Print Works factory, 1920s
Main St., looking north, circa 1955
THE OLD CITY HALL, FALL RIVER
Fall River, Mass. was founded in 1803, incorporated a city in 1854. In 1845, a
town hall was built and partly destroyed by fire in 1886. The city hall was
located over the Quequechan river, meaning, "Falling Water." At one
time a fish market was located in city hall and the Quequechan river facilitated
the disposal of all sewage. In 1962 city hall was transferred to Hotel Mellen
and the city hall was demolished. Depollution of the Quequechan river and
decking over route 195 will enable Fall River to build a new city hall of modern
architecture, a symbol of progress. -Courtesy of Laura
SUPERIOR COURT HOUSE
& REGISTRY of DEEDS, FALL RIVER, MASS.
The Corner Stone of Superior Courthouse was set August 8, 1889. The Registry of Deeds began here in 1891 until the dedication July 25, 1931, of the Registry of Deeds Building.
-Courtesy of Laura Sullivan
FALL RIVER LINE - COMMONWEALTH
Fourteenth and last passenger steamer of the Fall River Line was the Commonwealth. Built by William Cramp and Sons Ship & Engine Building Co. at Philadelphia, Pennsylvania and had a steel hull length 455', breadth of hull 55', tonnage 5980. Paddle Wheels of the feathering type, 33' in diameter. Launched Oct. 9, 1907.
-Courtesy of Laura Sullivan