Southern New England
The Family of Owen and Ellen (Green) Cummins
1. Owen CUMMINS was born abt. 1803 in Ireland, son of George Cummins of the Townland of Castlemore, Co. Carlow, Ireland. He died 1 Feb 1873 in Castlemore, Parish of Fenagh, co Carlow, IRL. Owen married Ellen GREEN 22 Nov 1836 in the Roman Catholic parish of Ballon, co Carlow, IRL. Ellen was born abt. 1817 in IRL. She died Aft 1890 in USA.
Owen was named in the marriage and death records of some of his children. His occupation in his death record was given as carpenter, the trade which at least four of his sons followed. His age was given as age 70 at the time of his death, and his wife Ellen signed with her mark as the informant.
Several other "Cummins" were sponsors for his children at their baptism, and these are most likely family members, if not actually siblings. They were George Cummins and Mary Cummins as sponsors of Patrick; Patrick Cummins as sponsor of Jane; and Bridget Cummins as sponsor of Bridget. Several of the Aughney family also were prominent: Stephen Aughney was a witness to Owen's marriage; John Aughney was sponsor for Bridget; and Michael Aughney and Marian Aughney were sponsors for Lawrence. Of the other sponsors, several lived nearby in Castlemore: Edward Eustace, William Dwyer and John Nourse, as well as families of Neill, Bolger, Kelly, Finn, Cahill and Murphy; and families of Cullen and Toole, with whom Owen's son Patrick was associated in Fall River MA.
In the Griffith's Land Valuation taken in County Carlow in 1852, Owen Cummins was listed in Castlemore, in the civil parish of Fennagh. There was also a listing for an Owen Cummins in Moanmore, parish of Fennagh. A Michael Cummins was listed in Castlemore, next door to Owen. In Moanmore, Michael Cummins and Judith Cummins both leased houses from Owen Cummins.
The marriage record in the Roman Catholic parish of Ballon, in co Carlow, states that Ellen's residence at the time of her marriage was Castlemore. She was living with her son Patrick and his family in Fall River in the 1880 census, age 73, b. IRE. However based on the reported birth years of her children, it doesn't seem likely that she was this old. In April 1880, when she came to the US she gave her age as 50 on the ship passenger list. It seems likely that she was the "Ellen Cummings, widow" living at the same address in Providence as her daughter Bridget in 1890, and perhaps may have gone to New York to live with her daughter Annie after she had the twins. If this theory is correct, then Ellen probably died about 1895, which is the year that the Phillips children came to live with their Aunt Bridget in Providence. It may be that Ellen's death prompted Annie's hospitalization.
Ellen sailed to America on board the ship "SS Parthia" sailing from Liverpool and Queenstown, and arriving in the Port of New York on 9 April 1880. She was accompanied by her son Michael. Also included on the passenger list were a Pat Cummins, age 21, laborer and a James Cummins, age 20, laborer. This James may have been her son, as the age is correct, but neither this Pat or James were recorded with Ellen and Michael on the passenger list, so it remains in question.
Owen and Ellen had the following children:
+ 2 M i. George CUMMINGS was born 2 Apr 1837.
3 M ii. Mathew CUMMINGS was born 22 May 1840 in Castlemore, co Carlow, IRL, and his baptism is recorded that date in the Roman Catholic parish of Ballon, the sponsors being James Kelly and Bridget Kelly. There is no further information about Mathew at this time. He was not listed as a survivor in his brother Patrick's obituary in 1908.
4 F iii. Mary CUMMINGS was born 28 Aug 1842 in Castlemore, co Carlow, IRL, and her baptism was recorded that date in RC parish of Ballon, the sponsors being William Dwyer and Elizabeth Dwyer. There is no further information about Mary at this time. She was not listed as a survivor in his brother Patrick's obituary in 1908.
+ 5 M iv. Patrick CUMMINGS was born 5 Jan 1845. He died 29 Jan 1908.
6 F v. Jane CUMMINGS was born 11 Apr 1847 in Castlemore, co Carlow, IRL, and her baptism was recorded on that date in the RC parish of Ballon, her sponsors being Patrick Commins and Anne Finne. There is no further information about Jane at this time. She was not listed as a survivor in his brother Patrick's obituary in 1908.
+ 7 F vi. Bridget Maria CUMMINGS was born 22 Jul 1849. She died 8 Dec 1935.
+ 8 F vii. Annie CUMMINGS was born 8 Aug 1851. She died 12 Jun 1929.
9 M viii. Michael Joseph CUMMINGS was born 30 Apr 1854 in Castlemore, co Carlow, IRL, and baptized that day in the RC parish of Ballon, the sponsors being Edward Eustace and Anne Cahill. He died 19 Nov 1922 in Fall River, MA, and was buried 22 Nov 1922 in St. Patrick's Cemetery, Fall River, MA. Michael married Margaret McCAULIFFE daughter of Daniel and Margaret McCAULIFFE 12 Jun 1884 in Fall River, MA. Margaret was born Aug 1854 in ENG. She died 18 Jun 1931 in New Bedford, MA. She was buried 20 Jun 1931 in St. Patrick's Cemetery, Fall River, MA, with her husband.
He had no children. Michael was a carpenter. He was a member of Immaculate Conception Parish in Fall River. At the time of his brother Patrick's death in 1908, he lived at 74 Flint St., Fall River MA. At the time of the 1920 census, he and Margaret had a boarder living with them, John O'Grady, age 25, born in Ireland, and working in a thread mill. Some time after Michael's death, Margaret went to live at the Sacred Heart Nursing Home in New Bedford, where she died.
He sailed to America with his mother on board the ship "SS Parthia" sailing from Liverpool and Queenstown, arriving in the Port of New York 9 April 1880. His naturalization application was first filed in the Second District Court of Bristol in Fall River on 10 Sep 1886, stating that he was age 29 and was born in County Carlow in Ireland. A second application was filed in Second District Court on 20 June 1892, stating that he was born in Castlemore. His sponsors were Frank and Samuel McGraw.
Michael's will was dated 14 Nov 1922 and probated on 16 Jan 1923. He left all his estate to his wife Margaret. The probate papers name his heirs as: Margaret Cummings, Fall River, Widow; Bridget Doris, Providence RI, Sister; Ann Phillips, New York NY, sister; Mary Ellen Duffy, Fall River, Niece; Elizabeth Bowers, Fall River, Niece; Ann Pierce, Fall River, Niece; Lucy Donovan, Westport, Niece; Amy White, Westport, Niece; Michael Cummings, Westport, nephew; Owen Cummings, Westport, nephew; James Cummings, New Bedford, Nephew; Jane Ann Cummings, Taunton, niece.
10 M ix. Lawrence CUMMINGS was born 10 Aug 1856 in Castlemore, co Carlow, IRL, and was baptized on that date in the RC parish of Ballon, the sponsors being Michael Aughney and Marian Aughney. He died 15 April 1903 in Manhattan, New York City, NY, and is buried in St. Raymond Cemetery, Bronx, NY. He married about 1893 Bridget ___.
In the 1880 Federal Census, he was living in Providence RI with his sister Bridget and her husband John Doris, age 22, single, laborer, b Ireland. He was godfather for his brother Patrick's oldest daughter, Mary Ellen, in 1881 in Fall River. In 1887 he was listed in the Fall River City Directory, living in a boarding house at 21 Spring St. In the 1900 census he and his wife were living at 209 East 121st St., Manhattan. At the time of his death he lived at 2346 Second Ave., Manhattan. They had no children.
11 M x. James CUMMINGS was born 25 Jul 1858 in Castlemore, co Carlow, IRL, and baptized that date in RC parish of Ballon, his sponsors being Michael Murphy and Elizabeth Bolger. He died between 1908-1922.
He was named as a survivor in the death notice of his brother Patrick in Jan 1908. Neither he nor any surviving heirs were named as heirs to his brother Michael's estate in 1922, so he either was not married and/or had no living children; or Michael's survivors did not know of his children. A search of marriages in RI and MA did not reveal any record for James. In the 1880 Federal Census, he was living in Providence RI with his sister Bridget and her husband John Doris, age 21, single, laborer, b Ireland. No further records of him have been found to date.
He may have been the James Cummins, age 20, laborer on the passenger list of the ship "SS Parthia" sailing from Liverpool and Queenstown, arrived in Port of New York 9 April 1880. This was the ship that his mother and brother Michael were also on.
12 F xi. Ellen CUMMINGS was born 21 Apr 1861 in Castlemore, co Carlow, IRL, and was baptized in the RC parish of Ballon on that date, the sponsors being John Nource and Elizabeth Nource. She died 20 Jun 1920 in Fall River MA and was buried in St. Francis Cemetery, Pawtucket RI, with her sister Bridget. Ellen married Thomas MAHON son of James and Rosanna MAHON 6 Jan 1881 in Providence, RI. Thomas was born abt. 1857 in IRL. He died before 1920 when Ellen listed herself as a widow on the census.
In the 1880 Federal Census, she was living in Providence RI with her sister Bridget and her husband John Doris, age 18, single, dressmaker, b Ireland. In the 1920 Census Ellen was living in Providence RI, working as a cook in the home of William Binney at 25 Brown Street. Her age was given as 55, and she was listed as a widow. The census also noted that she was naturalized in 1917.
Ellen was named as a survivor in the death notice of her brother Patrick in Jan 1908. In the 1920 census and on her death record she is also named as Ellen Cummings, widow. At some point she may have resumed her maiden name after the death of her first husband, indicating that she had no children. Her husband's name on her death certificate was given as "Thomas Cummings" and it is unknown if she married a second time to a Thomas Cummings or if the name on her death certificate was actually referring to Thomas Mahon, being confused because she used the name Cummings.
2. George CUMMINGS (Owen) was born on 2 Apr 1837 in Castlemore, Parish of Fennagh, co Carlow, IRL. He was christened on 2 Apr 1837 in RC parish Ballon, co Carlow, IRL. He died on 23 Feb 1894 in Manhattan, New York City, NY. He was buried on 24 Feb 1894 in St Raymond Cem., Bronx, NY.
George married Ann KAVANAGH. Ann died 20 Nov 1877 in Manhattan, New York City, NY. He may have also had a wife, Mary.
George and Ann had the following children:
14 F ii. Mary A. CUMMINGS was born about 1868/1869 in IRL.
15 M iii. Owen CUMMINGS was born about 7 June 1871 in NYC. He was baptized at Holy Cross Church, Manhattan on 16 June 1871.
16 F iv. Bridget CUMMINGS was born on 18 Sep 1873 in Fall River, MA. She was christened on 18 Sep 1873 in Sacred Heart Church, Fall River, MA.
17 F v. Margaret J. CUMMINGS was born on 9 Sep 1875 in Fall River, MA. She died 27 Nov 1877 in Manhattan, New York City, NY.
5. Patrick CUMMINGS (Owen) was born 5 Jan 1845 in Castlemore, co Carlow, IRL. He was christened 5 Jan 1845 in the Roman Catholic parish of Ballon, the sponsors being George Commons and Mary Commins. He died 29 Jan 1908 in Westport MA in an trolley car accident. Patrick married Catherine "Kate" Ann HERBERT daughter of Patrick HERBERT and Ann HOULIHAN 28 May 1876 in Fall River, MA. Catherine was born July 1853 in co Westmeath, IRL. She died 6 Dec 1933 in Westport, MA. Patrick and Catherine were buried in St Patrick's Cemetery, Fall River, MA.
Family tradition stated that Patrick was from County Cork, Ireland, however, records indicate that the family was from co Carlow. The family Bible kept by his brother-in-law Joseph Herbert contains an entry, "34 hens and a rooster were stolen fri April 3d 1891 from Patrick Cummings."
Patrick probably arrived in the US about 1873, although he has not been located on a ship passenger list at this time. He was naturalized on 10 Oct 1879 in the Massachusetts Superior Court at Fall River. His application states that he was born in co Carlow, IRL. His sponsors were John Lawlor and James Kiely, his brother-in-law.
Patrick was in Fall River MA by Dec 1873, and lived with his brother George until his marriage. Patrick and Catherine lived in Fall River, on Mason St. in the east end of the city. Patrick worked as a carpenter until they moved to Westport MA in 1884 where they had bought a farm on Horseneck Road. They lived in Westport the remainder of their lives. The probate records for Patrick name his children, and his son Owen Eugene was named guardian for the youngest minor children. Catherine was named as an heir to her mother's estate in the deed to her father 16 Dec 1889. She was injured in the accident that killed her husband in Westport, but recovered and lived with her son Michael on the family farm on Horseneck Road until her death.
FALL RIVER EVENING HERALD, 30 Jan 1908, Page 1, Headline: "MAN KILLED, WIFE INJURED, New Bedford Trolley Car Crashed into Patrick Cummings' Covered Wagon at Forge Road Crossing, WARNING WHISTLE WAS NOT HEEDED, Horse turned Upon Rail in Front of Rapidly Moving Car and Was Tossed, Dead, to Roadside"... Patrick Cummings, the victim of the accident, was well known throughout Westport and in this city, particularly in the eastern section. He had resided in Westport for the past 22 years, owning a farm there. Prior to that time he followed the trade of a carpenter in this city. He is survived by a wife, six daughters: Mrs. Mary Duffy, Mrs. Lucy Donovan, Mrs. Elizabeth Bowers, Misses Jane, Annie, and Amie Cummings; three sons, Eugene, Michael and James; three sisters, Mrs. John Dooris, Mrs. Annie Phillips, and Miss Ellen Cummings, and two brothers, James and Michael Cummings.
DEATH NOTICE: CUMMINGS - In this city, Jan 29, Mr. Patrick Cummings of Westport. Funeral will take place from the residence of his brother, Mr. Michael Cummings, No. 74 Flint St. Funeral notice tomorrow. New Bedford papers please copy.
FUNERAL NOTICE: 31 Jan 1908, The funeral of Patrick Cummings, the victim of the accident Wednesday evening at the Forge road crossing, Westport Factory, occurred this morning from the home of his brother, Michael, on Flint St. A requiem mass was sung for the repose of his soul at the Church of the Immaculate Conception by Rev. Fr. McSweeney. Internment was made in St. Patrick's Cemetery. The pall bearers were James Keeley, Joseph Herbert, John Donovan and Matthew Duffy.
Patrick and Catherine had the following children [go to Cummings Photo Page]:
18 F i. Mary Ellen CUMMINGS was born 7 Mar 1877 in Fall River MA, and died in Fall River 3 Feb 1963. Mary Ellen married Matthew DUFFY son of Matthew DUFFY and Mary MCCLOSKY 14 Jan 1904 in Fall River. Matthew was born 1870 in Patterson, NJ. He died 3 Feb 1962 in Fall River.
19 F ii. Jane Ann CUMMINGS was born 25 May 1878 in Fall River, MA. She died 12 Aug 1939 in Taunton MA. She was buried in St Patrick's Cemetery, Fall River.
20 F iii. Lucy Bridget CUMMINGS was born 15 Sep 1879 in Fall River MA. She died 13 Feb 1965 in Westport MA. Lucy married John Edward DONOVAN son of Daniel DONOVAN and Mary SULLIVAN 8 Sep 1901 in Notre Dame Church Fall River, MA. John was born 8 Oct 1871 in Fall River, MA. He died Mar 1946. They were buried in St Patrick's Cemetery, Fall River.
21 F iv. Elizabeth Ada CUMMINGS was born 9 Jun 1881 in Fall River MA. She died 23 Sep 1930 in Westport MA. Elizabeth married Josiah A. BOWERS 8 Sep 1901 in Notre Dame Church, Fall River, MA. Josiah was born 1868. They were buried in Beech Grove Cemetery, Westport, MA.
22 F v. Catherine CUMMINGS was born 10 Jun 1883 in Fall River, MA. She died 10 Aug 1883 in Fall River, MA. She was buried in St Patrick's Cemetery, Fall River.
23 M vi. Michael CUMMINGS was born 16 Jul 1884 in Fall River, MA. He died 27 Jul 1884 in Fall River, MA. He was buried in St Patrick's Cemetery, Fall River.
24 M vii. Owen Eugene CUMMINGS was born 25 Dec 1885 in Westport MA. He died 18 Mar 1973 in Fall River MA. Owen married Bertha Mae PIERCE daughter of Charles Winfield PIERCE and Harriet Almy REYNOLDS. Bertha was born 7 Mar 1888 in Dartmouth, MA. She died 29 Apr 1973 in Fall River, MA. Owen was buried with his parents in St. Patrick's Cemetery, Fall River. Bertha was buried with her parents in Linden Grove Cemetery, Westport.
25 M viii. Michael CUMMINGS was born 24 Dec 1887 in Westport, MA. He died 18 Jan 1960 in Westport, Bristol, MA. He was buried in Maple Grove Cemetery, Westport, MA. He married Estelle BRIGHTMAN.
26 F ix. Ann CUMMINGS was born 24 Nov 1889 in Westport MA. She died 28 Jan 1961 in Westport. Ann married Charles Anthony PIERCE son of Charles Winfield PIERCE and Harriet Almy REYNOLDS 16 Sep 1908 in Westport, MA. Charles was born 25 Nov 1882 in Dartmouth, MA. He died 10 Jul 1968 in Westport. They were buried in Beech Grove Cemetery, Westport, MA.
27 M x. Patrick CUMMINGS was born 3 Sep 1891 in Westport, MA. He died 12 Sep 1891 in Westport, MA. He was buried in Fall River, MA.
28 M xi. James Joseph Albert CUMMINGS was born 13 Sep 1893 in Westport MA. He died 6 Mar 1960 in New Bedford MA. James married Mary V. QUINN daughter of John and Margaret QUINN abt. 1917. Mary was born 1888. She died 20 Jan 1963 in New Bedford, MA. They were buried in St. Mary's Cemetery, New Bedford.
29 F xii. Amy Maria Josephine CUMMINGS was born 18 Jan 1896 in Westport MA. She died 21 Nov 1972 in Westport. Amy married William Chace WHITE son of Lysander W. WHITE and Betsey S. CHACE. William was born 24 Apr 1884 in Westport, MA. He died 22 Mar 1956 in Fall River, MA. They were buried in Beech Grove Cemetery, Westport, MA.
7. Bridget Maria CUMMINGS (Owen) was born 22 Jul 1849 in Castlemore, co Carlow, IRL. She was christened 22 Jul 1849 in the RC parish of Ballon, and the sponsors were John Aughney and Bridget Commins. She died 8 Dec 1935 in Providence, RI. Bridget married John Aloysius DOORISS son of John and Mary DOORISS 20 Feb 1879 in Providence, RI. John was born Apr 1857 in IRL. He died 15 Apr 1910 in Providence, RI. They were buried in St Francis Cemetery, Pawtucket, RI.
In the 1880 census, John and Bridget were living on Rice St. in Providence, and her brothers James and Lawrence, and her sister Ellen were living with them. They moved to New York City shortly after this with her sister Annie, and perhaps brothers and sister Ellen as well. John Dooriss is found in the Manhattan City Directories. There is no further record of them in Providence until 1890, when John and Bridget were living at 59 West River St. Bridget's mother, Ellen, was living at the same address. Bridget continued to live in the north end of the city of Providence, until her death.
The 1900 census reports that Bridget had 5 children all of whom were living at the time, although no children of her own were living with her in that census. No children for Bridget have been found, though she raised her sister Annie's children and her husband's nephew Charles Gorman who was living with them in 1900, and whose mother died when he was 3 years old. Annie's son James later changed his name to Dooriss, but the girls all used the name Phillips. Bridget was named as a survivor in the death notice of her brother Patrick in Jan 1908 as Mrs. John Dooris. In 1922 she was named as heir to her brother Michael's estate, living in Providence RI.
8. Annie CUMMINGS (Owen) was born 8 Aug 1851 in Castlemore, co Carlow, IRL. She was christened 8 Aug 1851 in the RC parish of Ballon, the only sponsor named being Elizabeth Dwyer. She died 12 Jun 1929 at the Utica State Hospital in Marcy, NY. Annie married (1) James Evert HENDERSON son of James and Mary HENDERSON 4 May 1881 in Providence, RI. James was born abt. 1852 in Glasgow, Scotland. She married (2) William J. PHILLIPS before Sept. 1890. She was buried in St. Francis Cemetery, Pawtucket, RI, with her sister Bridget.
Although all her children used the last name of Phillips, it is unclear that William was the father of them all. It seems likely, based on the dates, that at least Mary may have been the daughter of James Henderson. At some point, probably shortly after their marriage James and Annie moved to New York City, where at least Mary was born. He most likely died there, and Annie subsequently married William. They were married before 1890, when the family appears in the New York City Police Census, taken in September of that year, listing William Phillips age 30, Annie age 30, Mary age 7 and Annie age 2. Nellie was either not with them or left out in error.
In the 1900 census, three of her children were living with her sister Bridget in Providence RI, and all three were noted to have been born in New York. She was named as a survivor in the death notice of her brother Patrick in Jan 1908 as Mrs. Annie Phillips. In 1923 she was named as heir to her brother Michael's estate, living in New York City. The obituary of her son James states that he was born in Orange Town NY, and the death certificate of her grandson James states that his mother, her daughter Ann, was born in New York, NY. Both marriage records of her daughters Mary and Ellen state they were born in New York City. A search has been made of the records of Orange Town NY, and they have no record of any births for these children, or for a death for James Henderson or a marriage of Annie to William Phillips.
In the 1900 Federal Census, Annie was listed as an inmate at Manhattan State Hospital, in New York City. Her age was given as 45 years, and the record stated that she was married and the year of her immigration was 1873. She was still at Manhattan State Hospital in the 1920 census. About 1924 she was transferred from Manhattan State Hospital to Utica State Hospital, Marcy Division, where she died.
Annie had the following children:
30 F i. Mary Elizabeth PHILLIPS was born 12 Jul 1883 in New York City. Mary married Charles Frederick COLE 30 Sep 1904 in East Providence, RI. They lived in Riverside, East Providence RI.
31 F ii. Ellen "Nellie" Josephine PHILLIPS was born 21 February 1886 in New York City. She married Terrence John Doyle 7 June 1918 in Providence RI. She was called Nellie and her husband was called Terry. He was born on 10 Oct 1882 in Mammoth, Mt. Pleasant Twp., Westmoreland Co. PA, son of Terrence & Edith (Riley) Doyle. Terry was living with his parents in Central Falls at the time of their marriage. He and Nellie were living in Philadelphia in the 1920 census. In the 1930 census, Terry was widowed and living in New York City.
32 F iii. Ann PHILLIPS was born 22 Feb 1889 in New York City. She died 8 Sep 1967 in Cranston RI, and is buried with her brother in Gate of Heaven Cemetery in East Providence. She was never married, and had one son.
33 M iv. James Joseph [Phillips] DOORISS, twin to John, was born 18 Oct 1890 in Orange Town, NY, according to his obituary. He died 3 Sep 1973 in Providence, RI. James married Charlotte M. BARNES 25 Nov 1919 in Providence, RI. Charlotte was born 11 Mar 1895. She died Aug 1983. They were buried in Gate of Heaven Cemetery, E Providence, RI.
34 M v. John PHILLIPS, twin to James, was born 18 Oct 1890 in NY. He died before he was two years old.
13. Ellen CUMMINGS (George, Owen) was born about 1865/1866 in IRL. She died on 29 Aug 1893 in Manhattan, New York City, NY. She was buried on 31 Aug 1893 in St.Raymond's Cemetery, Bronx, NY.
Ellen married Joseph SHANNON before 1888. Joseph was born on 17 Jun 1856 in PA, and died in Manhattan, New York City, NY on 22 Jan 1896. He was the son of James Shannon and Jane Farrell. He was buried in St. Raymond's Cemetery, Bronx, NY.
Ellen and Joseph had the following children: