Southern New England

       Irish      

Home ] Up ] Families ] Miscellany ] Obituaries ] Records ] Site Map & Index ]

 

Lincoln, RI

This is a view of the Sayles Bleachery in Saylesville, (Lincoln) RI. The Bleachery is closed now but still standing and home to many small businesses. - Courtesy of Marcia Carr Carvalho

 

The John Street bridge crosses the Blackstone River and connects the villages of Lonsdale in Lincoln and Valley Falls in Cumberland. - Courtesy of Marcia Carr Carvalho

 

 

These are photos of the original St. James Church in Manville (part of Lincoln), Rhode Island. The original church burned down in November, 1919 and a new church was completed in 1930. - Courtesy of Marcia Carr Carvalho

 

The West Lonsdale School.  - Courtesy of Marcia Carr Carvalho

 

The Lonsdale Baptist Church was located at Lonsdale Ave and Main Street in Lonsdale. It was constructed between 1843 and 1847. This church also received generous support and backing from the Lonsdale Company. Services were held in the company's school house while the churches (both the Baptist Church and Christ Church) were built. The church was sold to the town of Lincoln in 1910 and was used as the town hall. The building was moved further up Lonsdale Avenue and is still standing today, having been used for many years as a dance studio, it is now a day care center.   - Courtesy of Marcia Carr Carvalho

 

Christ Episcopal Church on Lonsdale Avenue in Lincoln. The original church, which was built in 1835 was destroyed by fire in 1882. The present church (above) was completed in 1883 and the Lonsdale Company, (local textile manufacturers) paid for the construction of the new church. In 1896 the Parish House across the street was completed.  - Courtesy of Marcia Carr Carvalho

 

Christ Church Parish House.  - Courtesy of Marcia Carr Carvalho

 

The Sayles Memorial Church (United Church of Christ - Congregational) is on Chapel Street in the village of Saylesville in Lincoln. It was built in 1873 by the Sayles brothers in memory of their deceased children. A tower was added in 1877 by Frank Sayles in memory of his son William Clark Sayles, who died while a student at Brown University.  - Courtesy of Marcia Carr Carvalho