Andrew Corry, 87, oldest resident of Cedar City and one of Cedar City's earliest pioneers
died at his home Saturday night of general poisoning following gangrene of the feet from
which he had suffered for several weeks, and which had been a most painful affliction.
Mr. Corry was born April 28, 1846, in a wagon while his parents were crossing the Fox River, Ill., his birth taking place in the middle of the river. His parents were enroute West at the time. He was a son of George and Margaret Clemi Corry, who arrived in Salt Lake Valley in August 1847, as members of the second company of pioneers under John Taylor. They arrived three weeks after the first company of settlers.
The family was called to help settle Provo in 1852 and in 1856 came to Cedar City for a similar purpose.
Andrew Corry was one of the first mail contractors in southern Utah, driving the mail route from Cedar City to Lund, also to St. George and other communities. In earlier days he was the owner of the largest horse stables in this section and brought many fine animals to Cedar for racing purposes.
He was married to Letitia Newcomb on April 22, 1870 in the L.D.S. endowment house at Salt Lake City. She died April 29, 1921. They were the parents of ten children, eight of whom are living.
He was married June 15, 1922 to Mrs. Jane C. Arthur, who survives. Sons and daughters who survive are: Charles N., William N., George H., John H., and Moroni Corry; Mrs. David Webster, Mrs. Conrad Haight, and Mrs. C. Wm. Macfarlane; one sister, Mrs. Mary C. Corlett; 39 grandchildren and 31 great-grandchildren, all of Cedar City.
Funeral services were held in the First Ward chapel Tuesday afternoon, an exceptionally large attendance of relatives, friends, and acquaintances being present, many friends from Parowan, Paragonah, Summit, Kanarra, Newcastle, Harmony, and other towns having come to pay their last tribute of respect to a friend of long years standing.
The services were under the direction of Bishop Frank B. Wood. The opening song by a quartet composed of L. C. Miles, E. M. Corry, Wm. H. Manning, Wm. Macfarlane, Mrs. Helen Foster, Miss Laprele Barnson, Mrs. Sarah W. Wood, and Mrs. Hazel Granger, was "Come, Come, Ye Saints."
Prayer was spoken by Bishop E. M. Corry, of the second ward, followed by a duet by Mrs. Hazel Granger and Lorin C. Miles, entitled "Oh My Father," with accompaniment on the piano by Mrs. Virginia Larson.
The first speaker was George W. Decker of Parowan, a friend of the deceased of long years standing. The speaker said Andrew Corry was a man that was always busy, and always ready to go and do his part, either in a civic or religious way. He spoke of the many excellent qualities of the deceased that showed prominently thruout his entire life.
Another old friend and companion of Mr. Corry, Heber Benson of Parowan, was the next speaker. He spoke of the faith that the deceased had in the gospel, and his willingness to do what the authorities asked of him. He gave a short description of a trip he and Mr. Corry made to the Colorado canyon and the survey made by them of the country lying beween here and that canyon. He also referred to the Indian raids and wars, explaining that he and Mr. Corry were pals together in two Indian wars, the Blackhawk and the Navajo.
This was followed by Wm. H. Maning rendered a solo "Face to Face."
The concluding speaker was Elder E. J. Palmer, who told of the loyalty of the deceased to the church and of his willingness to do his part in its advancement, stating that he had filled two missions for his church, one to Canada and one to New Zealand.
The closing musical number was a violin solo "End of a Perfect Day" by Roy L. Halverson. Benediction was pronounced by Chas. R. Hunter, and the grave was dedicated by Theo Corry.