Bishop William Henry Corry

Iron County Record, Friday, Sept. 7, 1917

"Bishop" Corry's Sudden Summons - Dropped Dead in His Home Last Tuesday Evening Without Warning; A Prominent Landmark

Last Wednesday morning the people of Cedar City were shocked and surprised to learn of the sudden and unexpected death of "Bishop" William H. Corry, an early pioneer and for many years a prominent landmark in this city. The immediate cause of death was apoplexy. While his health has been failing somewhat for a year or more, and he has complained at times of feeling old and worn, he was in about his usual health on the day of his death, and had been to the field for a jag of wood. In the evening at his home, he was holding a business session with members of his family with whom he was conjointly interested in a large tract of land, and in attempting to walk from one room to another he was suddenly stricken and fell on his face to the floor. When his children attempted to raise him he said, "Don't touch me; I think my time has come." Before medical aid could reach him, his spirit had taken its flight.

Deceased was 67 years old, and had always lived a strenuous and active life.

Owing to the absence of some of his children who could not reach here earlier, the funeral is being held this afternoon, in the tabernacle, commencing at 2 o'clock.


William Henry Corry was the son of George and Margaret Corry, and was born in Provo, Utah, July 30, 1850. With his parents he came to Cedar City in 1853, and has resided here ever since. He passed through the trials and hardships of the early days, incident to the settlement of a new country.

He had little opportunity for acquiring an education, but when a young man he learned the trade of blacksmith which he followed for a number of years. He was of a strong robust type of manhood, and capable of doing a prodigious amount of work. He had the reputation of shoeing more horses in a day than any other man in the country.

Vigorous and full of life, as a young man he was fond of outdoor sports and was noted as a "crack shot" with a rifle, rarely failing to bring down his deer or other game when he went for it.

On October 30th, 1871, he was married in the Salt Lake Temple to Elizabeth Parry, and 11 children came to bless and cement the union; of these four have died, leaving seven living. Those who preceded him to the other side of the veil are William Henry, George Edward, Arthur Edwin, and Marion Parry. The living children are: Margaret Corry Roche, John P. Corry of Ogden, Willard E., Elias M., Mary Jeanette Lunt, Lula Cannon, and Winifred, the latter being the only one unmarried.

In October 1886, deceased left for a mission to the Southern States. In December 1888, he was ordained bishop of the Cedar ward, and held the position until his resignation in October 1901, at which time the city was divided into two wards. Afterwards he was made a member of the High Council of the Parowan stake.

In civil affairs he was also prominent, serving a number of terms as city councilman, member of the school board, and filing other positions of trust. For about 12 years he was president of the Cedar Sheep Association.

He was always a liberal provider for his family, and a loving and indulgent father and husband. As bishop of Cedar ward, he had the confidence and esteem of his constituency.

All the members of his family will be present at the funeral services, and the indications are that the attendance will be very large.

The portrait of deceased was taken something like 15 years ago while he was a member of the city council of Cedar City.

submitted by Kathie Marynik