Glendale, Utah is on U.S. HWY 89 just south of Orderville. It was settled in 1871 by a group of settlers from the Muddy Mission in Nevada. Originally the site had been settled in 1862 by a group led by John and William Berry and was called Berryville. Long Valley was called Berry Valley. Berryville was abandoned in 1866 because of Indian hostilities. Robert and Isabella Berry and Joseph Berry were killed by Indians.
Glendale, originally called Berryville, was first settled in the spring of 1864 by John Berry and family and others. A townsite was surveyed on which the early settlers built several log cabins. A primitive water-power mill was also erected. In 1865 other settlers arrived in Long Valley, most of them being called from other places, by the Church Authorities, to strengthen Berryville and the lower settlement Winsor (now Mount Carmel), the Indians, at that time, being on the warpath. In the fall of 1865 a stockade was built at Glendale as a protection against the Indians.
In the summer of 1866 all the settlements in Kane County, including Berryville, were vacated because of Indian troubles, and the exiled saints made temporary homes in St. George and other places. During the Indian troubles two men and one woman, namely, Robert Berry and his wife Isabella, and Joseph Berry, an unmarried man, were killed by Indians, on Short Creek. Both Berryville and Winsor remained vacated, so far as white settlers were concerned, till the spring of 1871, when the settlements on the Muddy, now in Nevada, were broken up, and most of the people from that locality settled in Long Valley. Among these was Royal James Cutler. A new meeting house was built in 1884.
The first settlers of Berryville arrived as an organization from Saint Thomas on the Muddy with James Leithead as Bishop, and he took charge, together with his counselors, in Long Valley from the beginning in 1871. Brother Leithead was succeeded in 1874 by Warren M. Johnson (presiding Elder), who was succeeded by George Baker. In 1877 the Glendale Ward was organized with James Leithead (serving a second term) as Bishop. He was succeeded in 1879 by Royal James Cutler, who died Aug. 3, 1894, and was succeeded by Moses David Harris, who moved away in 1900, and James W. Watson was then appointed presiding Elder. Later in 1900 Elder Watson was succeeded by Royal J, Cutler, jun., who in 1908 was succeeded by James S. Carpenter, who in 1913 was succeeded by Joseph H. Swapp, who in 1919 was succeeded by Joseph Walter Hopkins, who died Jan. 22, 1926, and was succeeded by Charles C. Anderson, who presided Dec. 31, 1930. On that date the Glendale Ward had a membership of 246, including 53 children.
Jenson, Andrew. Encyclopedic History of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, Salt Lake City, UT: Deseret News Publishing Co., 1941.
|LDS Family History Center
115 S 100 E
Tue 3:00-5:00pm / 6:30-8:30 pm
Thu 10:00am-12:00pm / 6:00pm-8:00pm
|Glendale in the News - a collection of historical news stories|