Pioneer Centennial history of Piute County
Except as otherwise credited, Irene Tate Elder is responsible for the following history of Piute County published in connection with the celebrations commemorating arrival of the Mormon pioneers in Salt Lake Valley in 1847. It is one of the earliest attempts to document the history of Piute County, especially the mining history so central to Mrs. Elder's interests. As such it remains a classic history worthy of study although current research corrects certain statements contained in the report.
A Brief Resume of the History of Marysvale
Nestled at the foot of the magnificent Tushar Range lies the town of Marysvale, with those lofty peaks, Mt. Belnap, Mt. Baldy and Mt. Delano standing guard over it in all of their grandeur.
Perhaps the first white people to set foot in Marysvale after the arrival of the pioneers in Utah were John D. Lee, who in 1852 along with John C.L. Smith, John Steele, John Dart, Solomon Chamberlain, Priddy Meeks and F.F. Whitney entered Sevier Valley, and followed southward over the divide and passed into Long Valley (Priddy Meeks to later become the first settler in Long Valley). Then in 1856 George A. Smith, and Sylvester Smith, on their way to points south, camped on Pine Creek, now known as Bullion, at the present site of Marysvale. The sparkling creek fringed with tall pines and an abundance of other shade afforded a pleasant camping spot and caused them to call it Merryville, later changed to Marysvale.
Rumor has it that the town was named after Brigham Young's wife, Mary, who was supposed to have lost her veil here, but the former seems most likely.
The next of which we have any record was a man named Hewitt, who served with the Mormon Battalion of 1848, and witnessed the gold rush of 1849 in California. Upon passing through here some fifteen years later he was astounded at the likeness of the Tushar Range to the Sierra Nevada of California. With what crude implements he had he did some prospecting in the vicinity of Pine Creek and made what was probably the first discovery of gold in Utah.
In January of 1865 Lieutenant Jacob Hess, of Manti found placer gold on the Bench to the south of and adjoining Marysvale. Hess was present in California when members of the Mormon Battalion found gold in Sutter's Mill race. But the gold at Marysvale was too widely diffused for the primitive methods of extraction in those early days. He was determined to find the source of this gold; so he traced it up Pine Canyon and some five miles up found the great ledge known as the Bully Boy and Webster.
However, Jacob Hess was not alone in Marysvale at this time. The first settlers to come and remain to build homes and homestead the land were a small group from Sanpete County, who had been living in White Pine, Nevada. They came to Monroe in Sevier County, where some of them stayed to become early settlers there. There were eight teams in the group that came on to settle Marysvale. Some of these were A.J. Millick, Tibadeau, Frank King, Robert Jackson and William Rudd. (This list was given to the editor by Andrew Jensen, now deceased, who was personally acquainted with most of them.)
Most of this group settled up the river. Millick settled on the old Joseph Howes farm. Tibadeau settled southeast of Marysvale on what is now known as The Tibadeau. Robert Jackson homesteaded the part known to us as the Starks Addition.
We are not just sure when these people arrived in Marysvale. The first authentic account of their living here is found on a location notice on the Bully Boy Mine which lists the following as the locators on November 22, 1868: Jacob Hess, Squire Stewart, Robert Jackson, Ebenezer Hanks, Luther Ramsey, A.J. Millick, F.C. Murray, John Eaton and August Anderson.
The Silver Dipper was transferred by Jasper Gribble to James B. Porter on August 8, 1868. Hess and others located the Savage Lead on March 5, 1868, and the Pacific Lead was located by William Zabriskie and others in January 186.
Marysvale virtually had its beginning with the discovery of gold here. During the several years after the discovery of the first lode in Pine Canyon, the news of it spread rapidly and this locality was the scene of much prospecting. The ore was gold, silver, lead and copper, and was usually of a high grade. In the spring of 1869 some 200 miners came to Marysvale and located in Pine Canyon, at the place known as Bullion City. Among this group were D.C. Tate, Phil Gouchette, Edward Foisy, Fred Hamel, Absolom Blanchette, and many others. Statistics show us that in 1870 the entire population of the county was just 82 and that all of these were living at Bullion City, that in 1880 the population of Bullion City had grown to 1,651. Ten years later it had dropped to 259.
As soon as the railroad was completed into Utah in 1869, a two stamp mill and donkey engine were imported by a Chicago company and installed at Bullion City. As there was no road at that time the machinery was taken in over Beecher Hill. An old drag road can still be seen. Later that year D.C. Tate and others built a road up the canyon and constructed a toll gate near the place where the Marysvale town water system emerges. This building was later moved to Bullion City and in 1871 to Webster Flat where it still stands on the old Desert Property. The mill didn't prove very successful as the method of crushing was slow. An effort was then made to smelt the ore. A small home-made furnace was constructed of boulders and charcoal from Pinon Pines was used for fuel. This was the only effort ever made at Marysvale in smelting. Pieces of slag made in that first attempt are still highly prized as souvenirs today. Still later, when the railroad had penetrated as far as Juab, ore was hauled by wagon to York Station and from there some of it was shipped to Wales in the British Isles for smelting.
Perhaps no town in Utah has a more interesting and picturesque history than has Marysvale, which was the outgrowth of Bullion City. If one were to relate merely the incidents that happened it would be too inadequate Bullion City practically became a boom town overnight. it was destined to be another Bingham Canyon. Maybe it was a little wild in those days, but like any young thing its heart was light and gay. The dreams, the hopes and desires of those who lived there were perhaps a little brighter. And why not? They practically held wealth and prosperity in the palm of their hands.
Records show that Bullion City was not intended by those early miners to be just a boom town. Every foot of ground was carefully platted in lots and complete records were kept of each along with duly recorded location notices of mining claims. Even today after some 78 years one can see in the canyon markers showing where the ground was platted, where a cabin stood, or someone had made a dugout their place of abode.
Almost the first thing they did was to organize a county. Probate Judge Joseph H. Wing proceeded to organize the County of Piute, Territory of Utah, at Bullion City, on April 21st, 1869 by appointing R.N. Bennet, Frederick P. Nelson and August Nelson selectmen and administered to them the oath of office.
The selectmen then proceeded to appoint the following county officers to-wit: William T. Dennis, probate clerk; John L. Ivie, sheriff; William T. Dennis, county recorder; William Zabriskie, county surveyor. Niels Anderson was appointed coroner, William Zabriskie prosecuting attorney. The county clerk then appointed William Ashton, justice of the peace for said precinct and Andrew Millick, constable.
Records show that in less than two years 1873 and 1874 Piute County had four sheriffs, all of these residing in Bullion City. The first of these was F.C. Murray, in 1873. In 1874 Sydney Warning was sheriff. He was asked to resign and Jared Taylor was made sheriff. Then at the election of August 3, 1874, Robert Jackson was elected sheriff.
The old jail walls, a symbol of law enforcement, are still standing in Bullion City. Wriley Porter of Manti, then a mere boy, lived there and helped make the adobe with which the building was built.
Many are the stories that have been told of those early days. They have been passed on from generation to generation until today they are almost obscure and fragmentary. There is the story about Kate Lee, the young Cherokee Indian maiden, who was left by some Indians. Charles Philip Dutson took her in and raised her, and when his own wife died, he married her. To this union was born one son, Charles Dutson, on January 13, 1872. He is thought to be the first child born at Bullion City. Charles Dutson Sr. was killed shortly afterwards while coming down the canyon on a load of poles and was buried in the canyon.
Perhaps no one person played a more important part in early day mining than did D.C. Tate. He was mining recorder and secretary for the Ohio Mining District for many years. He located the Morning Star and the Desert Mining claims in Bullion Canyon. Mr. Tate is credited with being one of the first school teachers in Sacramento, California and just previous to coming to Marysvale had located the old Telegraph Mine, known as the Highland Boy in Bingham Canyon. He was also school trustee here for several years. Records show that James A. Starks, who also came to Marysvale at an early date, received of D.M. Wilson, the proceeds from a dance $76.00 in 1883, which was turned over to Mr. Tate for the school fund.
Mr. Starks, born May 3, 1843 in Wisconsin, brought in a load of merchandise and started a store in Bullion City. After the rush was over there, he moved to Marysvale, where he purchased the land homesteaded by Robert Jackson, and continued in the mercantile business. He was county recorder and in 1881 was appointed probate judge by President Grover Cleveland and was reappointed for a second term in 1891 by Benjamin Harrison.
George T. Henry, a chemical engineer, came to Marysvale in 1872 from the Silver Reef and was an important figure in mining at Marysvale. Still others were a man named McCorkindale, who ran a store just this side of the Old Mill Site, and Jacob U. Sargent. Although he didn't arrive until 1875, he was a prominent mining man. Mr. Sargent and his brother, Andrew Sargent, ran cattle in the mountains north and west of Marysvale. It was for them that the Sargent Mountains were named.
In 1878 the Deer Trail Mine was discovered by Joseph Smith while hunting deer about six miles southwest of Marysvale. For a few years this mine was a high producer and is thought by many to be one of the largest and richest in the state. The Wedge and the Dalton are others which created sensations in mining circles, and at one time were perhaps the richest in the state. Ore taken out of these mines went as much as $900.00 in gold and large nuggets are still preserved by many as souvenirs. The Annie Laurie and the Sevier Mines were discovered some time later and were both high producers.
After the first excitement was over in Bullion Canyon and it became apparent that the mining business was a long slow game, most of those old miners left. However a number moved into the valley, took up land and built homes. Among these were Edward Foisy, Frederick Hamel, Blanchette, William T. Dennis, F.C. Murray and many others. Old timers today talk of the seven lights. These were from the homes of Frederick Hamel, Edward Foisy, James A. Starks, Miles Durkee, D.C. Tate, and Nathaniel Williams.
With the growth of population and expansion in Utah, more and more people began coming to Marysvale, until at one time there were two dance halls, four saloons, several stores and a hotel each getting their share of a good business. In 1892 there were 91 children going to school here in a one room school house. Miss Fishbeck was the first teacher. The school house was situated near where Patrick T. Henry's home now stands.
Other teachers in Marysvale were Martha McCarty, Miss Christian, Laura Jones, Mrs. Carrie Jones, Georgiana Blanchette, Mrs. Timoney, Miss Ellen Hoover, John Hoover, J.F. Bernell and Josephine King.
Mrs. Miles Durkee chose the present Marysvale Cemetery as a burial spot and was the first person to be buried there.
In 1896 the Sevier Valley Railway was extended to a point in Sevier Canyon, where overland freighting was conducted into Marysvale. Seven years later in 1900, the Thistle-Marysvale branch was completed into Marysvale. James M. Bolitho was one of the crew on that first train that came steaming into Marysvale. The railroad has been a great source of income for this community. For some 47 years freighting has been conducted from its terminal to all of southern Utah and northern Arizona.
Today Marysvale is much like any other southern Utah community. It can boast of four hotels, five well-equipped service stations, two other eating establishments, a drug store and three stores which sell general merchandise. We have one of the finest parks and race tracks in the state and a large open air dance hall, which is also used as a recreational hall for roller skating and other purposes by the young people. Our boys and girls can attend high school in their home community, although it is necessary for them to hold classes in the elementary school building, the type of instruction given here has always been on a high level. The Methodist Church, with Reverend Grace A. Wasem as pastor, offers special training to the pre-school children of our community, and week-day and vacation church school are conducted regularly for children in the community. The L.D.S. Church burned down last fall, but plans are being drafted for a beautiful new chapel to be built as soon as material is available.
There is an old saying that anyone once having lived here always returns. It may be the songs of the sparkling creek or the enchantment of the town on a summer night, with the moon shining through the pines, or again it may be the spirit of friendship and good will that has prevailed in the community since those early days. But underlying it all is the hopes for the future of our mines and the development of Marysvale as a mining area. When that time comes, Marysvale will become world-famous as a mining center.
A Brief Resume of the History of Circleville
by Letitia G. Thompson
In the spring of 1864 a group of people from Ephraim were called upon by the authorities of the Church to go down and help settle the town of Circleville. Among these people were Peter Thomson; Hans C. Jensen, his brother, Peter Christian Jensen; Niels Anderson; Andrew Anderson; Christian Jensen, his son, Hans Jensen; Jens Anderson; William Allred; James Munson; Edward Talton; a Mrs. Barney and a family by the name of Thomader, and others whose names cannot be recalled.
These people came over the Black Hills which is located north of Circleville. They decided to settle along this part because of the abundance of water and vegetation along the river. These people are the ones that named it Circle Valley because they were completely surrounded by hills. During the time they were settling in the valley the Blackhawk War was on and these people were attacked by the Indians. They were forced to go into the slew and they had to stand there most of the day hiding. Mrs. Munson stood there for hours, until dark, with water up to her waist holding a small baby in her arms. Peter Thomson and the rest of the men had to stand guard to keep the Indians from making their raids. What few cattle and horses that they had were driven off and stolen. The Indians plundered the wagons, took what they wanted and destroyed the rest.
After the Indians had gone these people gathered what few things that they had left and moved further into the town. They were molested by the Indians the entire time that they were here. The small boy of the family by the name of Barney was herding cows along the river and the Indians captured him and scalped him.
In June, 1866, Daniel H. Wells was sent out by President Brigham Young to see the colony. When he arrived there and found out the conditions he told them that it was no place for them and to pack up and move out, which they did about June 16, 1866. A few people stayed to harvest their drops, but most of the families left. These people returned to Ephraim and lived there for the rest of their lives. During the time that they were in this valley a baby was born to the Peter Thomsen family, on June 6, 1866. This was a girl and she was named Mary Thomsen.
By the fall of 1866 the militia from Beaver, headed by Captain Joseph Nathaniel Betenson came to help the few that remained to harvest their crops. After the harvesting they left for Sanpete County.
The next settlers that came into the valley were the families from Beaver. They came in 1876. Among the first were the Daltons and Fullmers. A little later on the Smiths and the Whittakers came. As the years rolled along and the valley became more thriving more people began to come here. Among them were the Parkers, Simkins, Wileys, Gillies, Buttons and a man by the name of Doc Pearson.
Thomas W. Smith, the son of Thomas and Tennessee Smith, was said to have been the first child born in Circleville, whose family stayed here all their lives and helped to organize the town. Members of this family are still living here now.
Mrs. Henrietta Pearson was the first school teacher. She was the mother of Grover and Ben Lewis. The school was a little log room located in the northwest part of town where the majority of the people lived at that time. The pupils traveled approximately one mile to school.
The next school house was located more in the center of the town and it consisted of two rooms. Part of this building still stands on the Glen Betenson property now. There were two teachers at that time. A Richard Horn from Beaver and the other was O.U. Bean. This man was the author of the play, "Corianton."
Later, R.T. Thurber, who now resides in Richfield, came as a teacher. He graduated the first Eighth grade. This school house was used for church, socials and all other kinds of entertainment. In the next few years another school house was built and this was situated a little further south. The first teacher who taught there was Blanche Parker.
The Relief Society Ward bought this building for the Relief Society. This building was used for a good many years until it burned down. At the same time there was another school house across the river so the two schools consolidated and decided to build a larger and better school for both of them. This was a two story rock building and was located where our Elementary school is now. Some years later this school was condemned as it was a fire hazard and a new school started. This school was built out of the rocks from the old school and this is our present day Elementary school.
A recreation hall was built later on just north of where the Harold Gottfredson home is now. This building was used for all entertainments. It burned to the ground on Election day 1918. Later on another hall was built and this was called the "Kit Kat" -- this was situated where the old cheese factory now stands.
The first store was located on the old Whittaker ranch. This was in the '80's. It was owned and operated by James Whittaker.
The town gradually moved from the north to the south. Circleville now has a population of approximately 750 people. Circleville now has the reputation of having the finest potatoes grown in the country. Circleville can also boast of many improvements in the last fifty years, such as a furniture store; a modern garage which is owned and operated by Ralph Stapel, and is considered one of the best equipped garages in the southern part of the state. Two cafes, one with an enjoining motel; one of the finest frozen food lockers in the state, that is owned and operated by Ervin Lay, who is a native of Circleville. A modern up-to-date post office that is owned by Orson Gottfredson, the postmaster. This building is equipped with apartments and office space. Two modern up-to-date beauty shops; a barber shop, a modern cabin and trailer court; a theater which has a different program three times a week and two grocery and general stores.
Nearing completion is the $70,000 high school building which will be a great asset to the county. Students from Antimony, Angle, Junction, and Kingston will be transported to attend this school.
Circleville also can boast a very modern up-to-date LDS Church where all of the public meetings such as primary, mutual, funerals, clinics and many other things are held.
A number of things which are scheduled for the years ahead and in the near future, such as library and fire station which will be constructed just west of the highway on the lot between the homes of Mrs. Lilly Beebe and Edward Davis. This project was made possible by the Circleville Commercial Club who donated the money and bought the property.
A great deal can be said for the people of Circleville for the improvements and accomplishments that have been made in the past years and it is hoped that the town will continue to grow and can boast of many more in the future years.
A History of the Methodist and L.D.S. Churches
The earliest record of a Methodist work takes us back to 1889. It says, "Marysvale belongs to Brother Duncan J. Frews circuit, and although we have no church here yet we have had a gracious revival resulting in conversions."
In 1890 G.W. Cohagen, pastor at Monroe, preached at Marysvale and Grass Valley. All told he had three members. In 1891, just fifty years ago, the Woman's Missionary Society had a worker at Marysvale named Lulu Christian. She taught a day school in addition to her religious work. There was no public school at the time. In 1893, G.P. Miller of N.W. Kansas Conference was the pastor and Marysvale is called silver mining camp of not very great financial help, because of the hard times in Mining circles. In 1904 the pastor was H.I. Hansen, and the worker for the women was Miss Erma Osborn, who also taught a day school.
She was succeeded in 1906 by Miss Lulu Cole and in 1907 by Miss Elida Mork. In 1909, J.D. Morgan was the pastor and Lulu the Third, Miss Lulu Gamble, had a school of thirty pupils.
In 1911 Marysvale was a four point circuit and Henry Fryer was pastor with seven members and 31 enrolled in the Sunday school. In 1914, C.W. Barr was pastor and Miss Leona Officer of Elsinore, Utah, was superintending a Sunday school with an enrollment of 55. In 1917 a substantial church building was begun and it was completed in 1918. Funds included the Charles H. Rorer Memorial donation (amount not stated); the Board of Missions of the Methodist Church gave $600, and $500 was secured from the other sources.
Martin Thomas served as pastor at Elsinore, Marysvale, Junction and Alunite. There were 37 members of which 17 were non-resident.
The parsonage was connected with the Church building. In 1920 two rooms were added to the parsonage at a cost of $600. The salary was $450. There were 12 members of which four were non-resident. The Sunday school enrollment was 68. In 1921 a bathroom and fixtures were added to the parsonage at a cost of $500. F.F. Gibbs was the pastor from 1922 to 1926. There was no pastor from 1926 to 1936. During part of that time the windows were boarded up. When Dr. W.E. Blackstock, Utah Mission Superintendent, came to Marysvale, he decided the church should either be opened for services or sold. Thirty-five percent of the population was considered non-Mormon. This figure was confirmed by a Government official. A request was made to the Board of Home Missions and Church Extension for money for Marysvale. Owing to the falling income of World Service, the Board was unable to help. Then a request was made to the Woman's Home Missionary Society through Mrs. Frank Day. As a result Miss Ruth Savin was appointed to Marysvale. The choice of Miss Savin proved to be very wise. She very quickly won the respect and esteem of the entire community.
She started Church and Sunday School services. Week Day Church school for pre-school children and children through grades 1-4. In 1937 there were 22 enrolled in the Sunday school and 40 in a Week Day school and 10 in Intermediate League. Miss Savin received her Ordination Orders while serving at Marysvale.
On August 7, 1938, Miss Savin and Charles Giffen were united in marriage at the Marysvale Church. Mrs. Giffen continued to serve as pastor until June, 1939, at which time Miss Hettie May Parsons was appointed.
Miss Parsons received her Ordination Orders while serving here. She gave very effective service for a period of seven years. On August, 1946, she was united in marriage to Alex Haas of Berkeley, California.
Miss Grace Wasem was appointed to begin service as pastor August 1 to succeed Miss Parsons in the work, and is still serving. Miss Wasem received her Elders Ordination Orders at the Boston University Theological School, January 9, 1946.
[not credited in the newspaper, but clearly the work of Andrew Jenson, LDS Church Historian:]
Marysvale Ward, South Sevier Stake, Piute County, Utah, consists of Latter-day Saints residing in the town of Marysvale, which is situated on the Sevier River in a romantic little valley surrounded by lofty mountains, immediately east of Mt. Baldy. It is the terminus of the Marysvale branch of the Denver and Rio Grande Western Railroad, 16 miles by mountain road southwest of Monroe, the headquarters of the South Sevier Stake, and 28 miles by rail south of Richfield, the county seat. It is also 16 miles north of Junction, the county seat of Piute County. While Marysvale proper consists of a small nook in the mountains, the valley on which the settlement is situated is about ten miles long and from one to three miles wide, the Sevier River passing through it from southeast to northwest. The valley terminates in a canyon cutting through a range of mountains which separates Marysvale Valley from Sevier Valley. While the majority of the people in the Marysvale precinct reside in the town of Marysvale, there are quite a number of farms at different points along the Sevier River.
Marysvale was thus named by Parley P. Pratt, who passed through that part of the country with his explorers in the fall of 1849. Since that year the place has been well known to the Latter-day Saints, as well as to the later prospectors and miners seeking for precious metals in the mountains. In 1864 a few families of Latter-day Saints settled in the little valley for the purpose of making homes there, and in the spring of 1865 sixteen families had located at Marysvale, where a small townsite consisting of 24 lots was surveyed. When the Black Hawk War broke out in 1865 the settlers hurriedly built a fort enclosing eight acres about half a mile above the junction of Pine Creek (Bullion Creek) with the Sevier River. The Indians made a raid on the little settlement April 22, 1866, killing Albert Lewis and running off nearly all the horses, cattle and sheep belonging to the settlement.
Others of the brethren were wounded, among whom was Christian Christensen of Richfield, who died from the effect of his wounds shortly afterwards. In the latter part of June, 1866, the settlers vacated the place and moved to Circleville seeking safety against further Indian attacks. Soon after that, however, General Daniel H. Wells came out from Salt Lake City with a force of military men and moved all the settlers from Piute County, taking most of them to the settlements further north. During the short existence of Marysvale as a Mormon settlement, Brother Andrew Handrickson acted as presiding Elder and also as captain of the militia during the Indian War of 1865-1866. After the evacuation of Marysvale in 1866, the little valley was not occupied for two years, but in 1868 a number of miners took possession of the valley and made improvements. Soon afterwards precious metals were discovered in the mountains west of Marysvale, which caused quite an excitement for a short time. Soon after the resettling a few Mormon boys located ranches at different points along the Sevier River.
On April 15, 1883, the few families of saints residing at Marysvale were organized into a branch of the Church, constituting a part of the Panguitch Stake with Hugh D. Lisonbee as presiding Elder. Elder Lisonbee died June 1, 1890; he was succeeded as president of the branch by Jared Taylor, who presided until March 24, 1895, when the saints at Marysvale were organized into a ward with Charles C. Pinney as Bishop. About this time the Marysvale Ward was transferred from the Panguitch Stake to the Sevier Stake. The ward organization was discontinued in 1900 and Isaiah J. Howes was appointed presiding Elder at Marysvale. He was succeeded in 1904 by Charles Thomas Black, who in 1909 was succeeded by Soren Christiansen, who in 1910 was succeeded by Allen Cameron, who presided until 1916, when the Marysvale Branch was again organized as a bishop's ward, with Allen Cameron as Bishop. Bishop Cameron moved to Widtsoe, Garfield County, and on Oct. 8, 1917, Erastus Anderson and Charles T. Black were placed in temporary charge of the ward. They presided until 1920, when the branch once more was organized as a ward with Wallace Johnson as Bishop. He was succeeded in 1921 by Francis Clement Nickle, who in 1923 was succeeded by Ivan L. Foisy, who was bishop until 1936. On that date the Marysvale Ward had 298 members, including 60 children. The Marysvale Precinct had 647 inhabitants in 1930, of which 471 resided in the town of Marysvale.
In 1936 Fred A. Swalberg became Bishop of the ward and was their Bishop for nine years until Feb. 3, 1946, when E.C. Hansen became Bishop of the Marysvale Ward.
The meeting house burned to the ground on October 6, 1946, and since that time meetings are being held at the school house.
At the present time Marysvale Ward has 406 members, and is a member of the South Sevier Stake.
Facts About Early Days in Piute Co.
Elias Pearson was a captain in the Black Hawk War. While passing through Marysvale one time he was ambushed by Indians at the point of the hill northeast of Marysvale and had one of his men killed, a Mr. Baker of Richfield. Mr. Pearson had his neck tie shot off and his horse shot from under him.
John Moore, father of Floyd Moore, now deceased, was one of the pupils at the first school in Bullion Canyon.
F.C. Murray and Jacob Sargent had a saw mill up Beaver Canyon.
Jacob Sargent, Andrew Sargent and D.C. Tate, in 1871 while prospecting in the North Fork of Cottonwood Canyon, found what they thought was the remains of an old Spanish Camp. There were several specimens of a rich silver ore of a character that has never been found in this locality, and pegs had been driven in several trees to hang things on. From all indications the camp dated back to the time before the pioneers arrived in Utah.
Phillip Dutson was allowed $2.00 for holding an election in 1872 in Marysvale precinct.
Three school districts were organized in 1872, Bullion, Marysvale, and everything south of the Van Buren Ranch, Circleville.
Amount of scrip received from the Treasurer for taxes in 1872 was $147.50.
Lura Coats has a Cream Mustard clock on which most of the boys and girls here in the early days used to tell time on. She also has a 70-year-old clock which Nate Williams purchased from Hugh D. Lisonbee and later sold to Mrs. James A. Starks for $6.00. The clock has never stopped during that time and continues to keep perfect time. Among her other prized possessions is a Currier and Ives Print and a quaint little old match girl lamp.
Auntie Blanchette was loved by everyone in the community, but especially did the children have a special affection for her. She always kept a large jar full of doughnuts on hand and no one ever went to her house that they weren't told to help themselves.
She was also a tailoress and made most of the men's suits in those early days.
It has been reported that Mrs. Frank King (Marcia King) was the village barber. The story is that before every dance, she did a land office business. Not only did she cut hair, but shaving was a service she excelled in.
The following is a list of some of the young people here in those early days: Miss Alice Oman, Miss Jane Huntsman, Miss Josephine Williams, William Wood and Hyrum Baler Bunce.
The first election held in the county was on August 3, 1874. John Pope was elected probate judge; Robert Jackson, sheriff; Jason Haws, Marysvale, justice; Christ. Kothee, constable, Marysvale; Alvin Price, Circleville, justice; J.H. Hague, selectman, Circleville, and James Thibadeau, selectman from Marysvale. Robert Jackson and Reese Richards were pound keepers.
Children of Mrs. Annie Hamel and Edward Foisy recall when they were called as jurors for court in Beaver.
Billy Zion was injured at the Copper Belt mine on December 8, 1879 and buried in Tomas Black's field.
Copyright 2006 by Ardis E. Parshall