Search billions of records on

| Piute Co. UTGenWeb | Contact Me |

Piute County Local History Resources 


 Marysvale's World War I Veterans

Charles Wilce Alger

Charles served for nearly two years as a volunteer in the field artillery.

He married Eliza Lewis, and was the father of Charles Wilce Alger, Jr. He was born in Arizona in about 1893, and worked as a blacksmith at Alunite before the war.

Arthur T. Allington

Born 27 December 1895. Arthur enlisted in the U.S. Navy on 25 October 1913, serving aboard the cruiser USS Maryland on Mexican patrol from 1914 to his discharge on 26 December 1916. He died in 1988.

Ioannis H. Anagnes

Born 4 June 1890 at Sparta Greece. He was not a citizen of the United States, but he registered for service when the law required him to do so. He was a section laborer on the Denver & Rio Grande Railroad, and was assigned to Marysvale in 1917. He served for more than a year with the field artillery. So far as is known, he did not return to Marysvale after his military service.

Ioannis G. Antonion

Born 4 March 1894 at Akriovolone, Greece. Ioannis was another section laborer on the railroad, and was working at Marysvale when he registered for the draft in 1917. He did not return to Marysvale after the war.

Linn Bertelsen

Born 10 May 1896 at Antimony, Garfield, Utah, a son of John H. Bertelsen. He was farming for his father in Marysvale at the time he went into the service. Linn tried to enlist early in 1917, but was turned down due to a problem with his hearing. Sometime later he was able to pass the examination and join the army. He was stationed at Camp Lewis for infantry training, and returned to Marysvale in February, 1919.

Marcus Bickley

Born 1 February 1897 at Beaver, Beaver, Utah, the son of William G. and Malinda (Griffin) Bickley. Marcus was working for Wilford Munson at Marysvale before the war, and worked as a laborer at the potash plant in Alunite after his discharge. He later moved to Circleville. He served for several months with a machine gun battalion late in 1918 and early in 1919. He married Mary Moselle Norton on 1 November 1920 at Junction, Piute, Utah, and died at Spokane, Spokane, Washington, on 13 January 1975. He was the father of Mark R. and Rollo W. Bickley.

Glen A. Black

Son of Sydney Black. Glen volunteered in April, 1917, and was trained at various camps around the state as a member of the National Guard. After some months, he requested and was granted a transfer to the regular army (145th Utah Field Artillery), and was promoted to corporal. In August, 1918, he sailed for France, and served briefly at the front before the armistice was signed. Glen was the first of the Marysvale servicemen to reach home following the war, after being discharged at Camp Merrit, New Jersey.

While stationed at Camp Kearney in early 1918, Glen wrote a joint letter with his friend Orville D. King on behalf of all the homesick soldiers then serving from Marysvale:

To the people of Marysvale:

The boys from Marysvale that are now serving in Uncle Sam's army and navy, are wondering if the good people know that they are away from town, and if they really know they are in the service for Uncle Sam.

As far as we have been able to find out, not one of the boys have heard a "scratch" from the home town, while all the boys from other towns hear from the town people often and also receive the town paper.

Now we are asking if the people of Marysvale will let us hear from them. Following is a list of the men in the army and navy. Army &endash; Orville King, 145th Artillery, Linda Vista, Cal.; Glen Black, 145th Artillery, Linda Vista, Cal.; Frank Kelly, engineers, Camp Green, North Carolina; Jose Grundy, engineers, Camp Green, North Carolina; Aldus Borg, 20th Infantry, Fort Douglas, Utah; George E. Henry, headquarters troop, 91st division, Camp Lewis, Wash.; Tom Henry, U.S.S. [illegible] 2, San Pedro, Calif.; LeGrand Stewart, 861st Infantry, Company C, American Lake, Wash.; Homer Taylor, 25th Cavalry, Cheyenne, Wyo.

We think if the older set do not let us hear from the Red Cross, the younger will. These young men are fighting for the people in Marysvale; we represent you in this great crisis.

G.A. Black, O.D. King

Glen attended Wasatch Academy at Mt. Pleasant before the war. He married Ione Page of Marysvale, and was the father of Virgil Glen and Evelyn Black. The family eventually moved to Long Beach, California. They maintained close ties to family in Marysvale, and sometimes returned for the deer hunt.

Curtis Franklin Boatman

Born 5 April 1890 at Oakland, Iowa. He was a mill operator for the Mineral Products Corporation at Alunite before being drafted for service in the war. For a short period, he operated a candy store and ice cream parlor in the old (pre-1916) post office in Marysvale. He was present at the April, 1916, fire of the Bertelsen home and store, and performed extraordinary service there by crawling through a hole in the roof to pour water on the burning rafters.

Horace Earl Boatman

Born in Iowa and a brother of Curtis Franklin Boatman, Earl enlisted in July, 1918, and was in training at the time of the armistice. He returned to his job at the Alunite Mineral Products Corporation upon his return in Marysvale in March, 1919. His wife's name was Alta; his mother's name was Tillie. Earl was an early member of the Modern Woodmen of America chapter at Marysvale.

Aldus V. Borg

Aldus took the train to Salt Lake City to enlist with his friend Ray Stocks. He served with the army in Company E, 20th Infantry, at Fort Douglas, Utah, Camp Funston, Kansas, and Nitro, West Virginia. He was discharged in March, 1919, following nearly two years' service. Aldus was a barber before the war. He may have been the son of Joseph Borg, a turn-of-the-century Marysvale barber. 

Vern Calaway

Vern trained at the U.S. Naval Training Camp at San Diego in the summer of 1917. He was from Thompsonville.

Carlos Martenes Christensen

Born 1 October 1892 at Richfield, Sevier, Utah. He had been a chemist/laboratory assistant at the Mineral Products plant at Alunite for three years at the time he went ito the service in July, 1918. He enlisted as a naval aviator and was sent to Quantico, Virginia, where he was soon stricken with Spanish flu. When he had recovered to the point of being able to travel, Carlos was furloughed briefly to Richfield before again rejoining his unit in Virginia.

Nephi Erastus Christensen

Born 11 April 1883, Nephi enlisted at Salt Lake City in the late summer of 1918. He had worked for three years previously as an engineer at the mill in Alunite. His wife was named Isabelle.

William H. Coleman

Volunteered in March, 1918, and discharged in January, 1919, having served with the engineers. Piute County records contain no further mention of this man; he probably was a miner or railroad worker temporarily working at Marysvale at the time he entered the service. The Piute County draft board id not hold his draft card.

Jules DeGand

Born 4 July 1895 at Pittham, West Flanders, Belgium. Jules worked as a miner for the Mineral Products Corporation. He served for more than a year in the Signal Corps. He did not return to Marysvale after the war.

Jules may have been a relative of Cyril DeGand, another miner who was in Marysvale at the same time and who also registered for the draft (Cyril was not called up).

Walter M. Dyer

Walter served for one year with the infantry. He was probably a miner or railroad worker temporarily associated with Marysvale, since he seems to have had no local family and appears in no local records. 

Charles Flood

Before entering the service, Charlie worked as a truck driver for the Mineral Products Company. He enlisted at Salt Lake City, hoping to go to aviation school. He was the first Marysvale boy to join the aeronaut corps. He also spent one of the longest tours in the service, from March, 1917, to June, 1920.

Joseph Jefferson Grundy

Joe served with his Marysvale friend Frank Kelly at Camp Greene, near Charlotte, North Carolina. He was a sergeant with the 4th Engineers and served for more than two years. Joe and Frank wrote a joint letter to the editor of the Marysvale paper:

March 28, 1918 

Dear Sir: We have been reading your paper for some time and sure have enjoyed it and to read the news from home.

We are getting along O.K. and as everything is going fine with us we hope that is the same with the Chieftain.

We have everything packed to leave here soon, and we will be known as the Ivory Division, and a happy one, too, that we are going to get a chance to do our bit on the other side. We are having fine weather here now, little rain now and then, just enough to keep busy cleaning up.

We love to read the news of the old camp coming out, and hope it continues to be so, which it looks as if it would.

We are leaving this camp soon, and I think to cross.

Remember us to all friends. Wishing you all the success in the world, we hope to remain your friends.

J.J. Grundy, Frank Kelly

Joe was the son of Thomas Jefferson Grundy and Rhoda Dority; Zelma A. Hamel was his sister. He was born 5 October 1883 in Minersville and died 16 November 1929 in Richfield, killed in a shooting accident. He was involved in the turn-of-the-century efforts to control the devastation of sheep overpopulation, and was a member of the Odd Fellows lodge of Richfield. He worked as a teamster based at Marysvale after the war.

Louis Edward Hardy

Son of Albert and Celeste Eliza (Foisy) Hardy, Louis was born 1 January 1900 at Marysvale (he claimed a birthdate of 1895 on his draft registration, perhaps to appear old enough to serve). He worked as a truck driver for the Mineral Products Company before going into the service. Louis enlisted in the 145th Utah Field Artillery on August 5, 1917, and trained in Camp Kearney for ten months before being sent to Europe. He reported "a delightful trip" over to Liverpool, and later to France. He served in the medical corps as an ambulance driver, and saw fighting in France beginning on June 27th, in a battle which lasted for two weeks. Following a two-day hike across the Argonne, his unit was again involved in battle for nearly three weeks. He served for almost two years, being discharged in June, 1919. Louis married Wilma Woodard; later, he Florence Wheaton in Richfield on 22 September 1934. He worked as a master mechanic following the war.

William Hawley Hargis

Born 25 November 1891 at Troy, Kansas, and later a resident of Brigham City, Box Elder, Utah, Will was a merchant with the People's Meat & Produce Company in Marysvale before the war, worked as a weighmaster for the Mineral Products Corporation, and dabbled with mining at the Der Trail Mine. He was also a member of the Marysvale town baseball team, and sang vocal solos for town programs. Like many Marysvale residents, he was an active member of the Red Cross; when he won a war stamp at a fundraising rally, he immediately donated his winnings to the Red Cross, which raffled his prize all over again. This set a pattern for the evening, with winners continuing to donate their prizes until this stamp had been sold four different times. Before moving to Utah, Will had been a sargeant with 18 months' experience in the Missouri National Guard. He volunteered for World War service in the summer of 1918, and spent most of his time at Camp Meigs, Washington, D.C., working as an army clerk. After his discharge, he spent a brief visit with his parents in Brigham City, then returned to Marysvale, saying "Marysvale looks good to me."

(Note: This man names appears as W.H. Hardie in Noble Warrum's book Utah in the World War, the primary source for information about Utah's World War I veterans, and this error has been repeated by other researchers listing or writing about servicemen. His name, however, is most definitely Hargis, rather than Hardie.) 

Geoffrey B. Hayes

Jeff enlisted in the Marines at Salt Lake City early in 1917. He served until October, 1918, when he contracted flu in the great epidemic. Pneumonia followed, and he died. His body was returned to Richfield for burial.

Clifford J. Heath

Born in Wisconsin in about 1886, Dr. Heath came to Marysvale in about 1914. He was a member of the Marysvale Odd Fellows, and a charter member of the Marysvale Commercial Club (an early form of the chamber of commerce). In addition to his work as a private physician and as the town's health officer, Dr. Heath was company physician at the Alunite mines.

Enlisting in the army reserve medical corps with the rank of lieutenant in August, 1917, Dr. Heath was promoted to Captain in January, 1919. He was the only Marysvale resident to achieve a commissioned officer's rank during World War I.

This letter was sent by Dr. Heath to his wife Arlie Hinman and son Gordon, who spent the months of Dr. Heath's absence with Mrs. Heath's family in Marshfield, Wisconsin.

April 18, 1918

With the American Expeditionary forces "somewhere in England."

Nothing of importance that I am permitted to tell you, happened on our trip across the pond. We landed at a port in France and then doubled back here to England where we are now stationed in a rest camp. The hotel where we are staying is one of the swellest ocean resorts in the United Kingdom; it is certainly a beautiful place.

My boatsman (servant) appeared on the scene yesterday morning. He is a great strapping fellow and he rapped at my door, saluted and said, "I am your servant, Sir." I set him to work shining up my puttees, shoes and Sam Brown belt. He must press my clothes, bring me hot water, run errands, etc.

Every morning at 8:45 we appear on parade and woe be unto the man whose clothes are not spotless and whose shoes and puttees do not shine. We drill for about two hours, then in the afternoon we have a lecture and about 2 hours more drill. At 7 p.m. we have parade or officers' mess where we drink the King's health and do everything that is prescribed in the King's orders regardless of officers' mess. The work is very interesting and there are some fine fellows in our company. It seems strange to be in the British army but fate has decreed that we remain with the Royal Army Medical Corps till the end of the war.

Believe me, a fellow realizes over here that a real war is going on. You people sure live like kings over there.

I would give a fiver for a box of sugar and some candy but I am ashamed to complain of a thing when I see the conditions here. The women especially are wonderful. They are solid gold 24 karat fine. Why, in many of the hotels, very wealthy women are acting as servants. They do all sorts of work here and there is no complaining. They are so kind and sympathetic and perform their duties as though they were pleasures.

Although thousands of sturdy Britons are out of action for all time, we don't see mourning anywhere. The people don't have time to mourn and besides there are the wounded who have returned who must be cheered on their way. At every station where the train stops soldiers can get free Red Cross buns and tea. I wish I were permitted to tell you other things, but all I can say is, it is some fight. The people of the U.S. must wake up for we are in a struggle that means life and death to the Allies. I don't doubt for a single minute but that our president and army men know all about it. If only our people could visit bleeding France and England they were realize what it means.

People here think a great deal of "Roosevelt". They consider that he alone stands out as typically American, but perhaps they will change their minds when Uncle Sam cuts loose on the Huns.

Another letter written in the early summer of 1918 reads:

I received the welcome message today that I ma to go to France immediately &endash; and best of all, that I am to join the U.S. Army again. I am so glad that I cannot express my feelings on the subject, for, while I do not regret my sojourn in England, and while the British officers have treated me fine, still, as an integral part of His Majesty's Forces in France, I am sure glad to get my release. There are forty American doctors in my class here, and I am the only one transferred back to the American army. The rest of the boys are envious of me; they come out and say so very freely, and they are all wondering why I should be so favored, when we were all about to be sent to France with the British. I don't know why it is so, but I am mighty thankful, and can hardly wait to be with the American army once more.

The other day I had the extreme pleasure of meeting King George and to be present while he conferred Victoria Crosses and various military service medals upon 150 wounded soldiers at Beckett Park Hospital, Leeds. Both the King and Queen were present. The company was held behind the closed gates of the hospital grounds. When I was ushered into the Royal Presence and presented to their majesties, I felt the purple blood of my English ancestors surge in my veins, and realized that at least one member of the Heath family had come into his own.

Imagine the obscure pill-peddler from the wilds of Southern Utah only three months since &endash; now a brave Lieutenant, grasping the hand of the Ruler of the British Empire, King of Great Britain, Emperor of Indian, etc., etc., etc.

The last few days I have been doing London with one of the finest men I ever met. He is a candidate for Parliament on the Liberal Ticket. He has shown me many points of interest here that I should never have found by myself. Last evening we had dinner at the Savoy, and how I wish you could have been there to see the many different types of people. There were soldiers, ambassadors, diplomats from every country in the world, except Germany, the Indian soldier, the Australian, New Zealander, Irish, the Scot in his kilts, Italian, Belgian, Montenegran, Jap, French, Russian, and last, but by no means least, thank God, the Canadian and the American. They were all on dress parade with arms covered with wound stripes and service stripes of four years spent in this terrible conflict.

Well, tomorrow, I will be on my way to join my countrymen on the shell-shattered fields of Sunny France. Isn't it strange that a man has a longing to go into the face of danger? The lure of France today is simply overwhelming to a soldier.

I won't be able to tell you much news as the only way I could talk to you about the war would be through Gen. Pershing, and I guess he's pretty busy. This much I can say: Sherman was right, but he should be here now to see what German Kultur can devise, but &endash; we're going to give the Hun just what he started, only in larger doses and at repeated intervals.

We don't get much news here in the papers, but what we do get sounds very encouraging to say the least.

I hear of a great many American troops landing in France lately and am so thankful that Uncle Sam realizes that he must get busy. The quicker the men get here, the sooner Kaiserism is put down for good. We can't lick the Kaiser without smashing him all to pieces; it's a question now of pork and beans; the country which has the largest supply will win this war. Here's hoping &endash; but then there's no question about it &endash; we have got to win, and we will!

The following letter was sent to Howard F. Chappell, general manager of the Mineral Products Company, where Dr. Heath had served as medical consultant before the war:

Biarritz, France, August 8, 1918

Dear Mr. Chappell:

I received your welcome letter of July 12th a short time since and was very glad indeed to hear from you. Many things have happened since my last letter to you but the main point is that I am with the American forces in France. Have been here since June 1, 1918, and believe me I was glad to get back with the Americans. The British army is an excellent organization and is composed of a fine type of soldier but they are not Americans.

I didn't get submarined on my way over to the Continent but had the pleasure of witnessing a Boche air attack upon London. It is a wonderful and fearful barrage that protects London. Arrived in Paris and experienced the second attack of the kaiser against my peace and dignity. He, the kaiser, was tossing a few shots into Paris and surroundings but very little attention was paid to the long range gun as its explosive effect was not very great. The air raids on Paris were more serious.

At the present time the Boche is so damn busy getting back to his Hindenburg line that he has no time to spending useless air raids. You state in your letter that many of the boys at the Alunite plant are enlisting. Am glad to hearing that they are filled with patriotic spirit but trust that the plant will not be crippled for lack of help. Got a letter from [Gustav E.] Cohen the other day and he gave me the local news from the Sevier Valley. I am very glad to get letters from friends back home, for life here in France, while not exactly monotonous, still there is much more to be desired at times. I have been attached to a camp hospital unit and ambulance section for some time past and, Mr. Chappell, it's a pleasure to help our boys out when they are wounded. If you could only see the patience, fortitude and stolidity of our young boys when wounded and dying on the field. It makes one proud that he's an American. One young fellow from Pittsburgh lay dying from a shell wound of the abdomen. I bent over him and he spoke slowly, "Good-bye, Doc' it's taps for me in about 10 minutes. God, but I would like to see this thing finished. Well boys, give 'em hell" and then he lapsed into unconsciousness. Talk about your spirit in an army, the morale &endash; why there is no army on earth that can hold a candle to ours. If the German people knew just what they were p against, I don't believe they would care to fight this thing to a finish. Our boys simply won't be beaten and as the French say, the only difficulty with our men is in holding them back. Why there are instances where our men actually run through their own barrage to get at the Huns. I read in this morning's paper where a british general said, "The Americans make excellent troops for attacking." This statement, coming from whom it does, means much for me, for I know the British mind.

It is very strange but I have not met a man on this side of the wager, except my brother, whom I knew in the States. For the past three weeks, I have been a patient myself in the hospitals "all over" France. I got a whiff of poisoned air and as a consequence lost my voice and had an oedema of the lungs. Am all right now, but if I don't feel better here in Biarritz I am going over in the Alps for a while. If I were up to the mountains of Southern Utah for about three weeks, I know I would come out O.K. It is very inconvenient not to be able to talk. I was getting so I could "parley Francais" when this accident happened.

Maybe I will be sent home if my trouble doesn't clear up soon. I can't say that I wouldn't like to see my wife and boy, but I really do want to be over here for the finish. All the boys in the hospital no sooner arrive than it's "when can I get back to the front? When can I get back to my outfit?" No one speaks of home except with a sort of tremor in his voice. Everybody I talk with wants to spend the Christmas holidays in Berlin. We know that the people back home are doing wonderful things and are giving us great backing and it's up to us to see that the Huns are properly "strafed" before coming home.

Trust that you and yours are well and happy, I am Yours sincerely, C.J. Heath, 1st Lt. M.C., Sp. Tr. Bn., APO 727, France

This will be my permanent address in France.

The following letter was sent to Mr. H.W. Cherry of Marysvale:

Somewhere in France, November 4, 1918

Dear Friend &endash; It's just eight months since I left old Marysvale and it begins to look as though the war was finished. The Germans are hemmed in on all sides and it's now but a question of a few weeks or months before Prussianism will be brushed forever.

I am in Paris tonight and expect to be here for a couple more days. This is a wonderful city in many respects, but it cannot be compared with Paris in normal time. Everywhere one goes in this place, the effects of war is indelibly stamped. Soldiers from every Allied country are seen upon the streets. The litter and glamour of "gay Paris" is conspicuous by its absence. War, the grief monster, stalks in every nook and corner of this vast city.

It is almost eight o'clock now and as I look out of my window I gaze into a dark, pithy blackness. All lights are extinguished. Only the monotonous honk! honk! of passing taxicabs reveals tome that life is not extinct without.

I wish that you had the opportunity of observing the conditions over here. In all my journeyings through France and England, I have carried out one happy conclusion and that is, "There is no place like the U.S.A. It's the one spot on the globe that is worth fighting for and dying, if necessary."

I have traveled quite a long distance since I left the valley of Sevier. I've seen many wonderful sights and beautiful places. By strange tricks of fate I have met many famous men and women in my wanderings. But believe me a man gets lonesome at times for home. I am here and expect to remain in France to the finish, whatever that may bring. But don't think that I have forgotten the good people of Marysvale and vicinity.

Far away beyond the stygian blackness of tonight, in the path of the setting sun, I can see the snowclad hills of Southern Utah. The recollection of the pearly parapets and mineral studded peaks of the old Tusher range cause a feeling of sadness to creep upon me. I long for those peaceful valleys and mountains. I miss the smiling faces of my friends. Some way the sun seems to shine softer and the breezes blow gentler down there. Even so, the air is a mite purer and your friends a bit truer than any other spot on earth. And the people they are just plain, honest to God kind, but believe me, Cherry, if I ever sail into New York harbor and greet the statue of the "Goddess of Liberty," well, she will have to be transplanted to the summit of old Mt. Baldy to ever meet me face to face again.

Yours sincerely, C.J. Heath, First Lieutenant, Medical Corps

The Heath family returned to Marysvale after the war. Dr. Heath served as president of the Marysvale Town Board in 1920. He was a passenger in a small plane piloted by Lane Bertelsen in September, 1922; both he and Lane escaped injury when the plane crashed &endash; probably the first airplane accident to involve Marysvale residents. Dr. Heath practiced medicine in Marysvale at least as late as 1925.

George E. Henry

Born in about 1894, and son of George T. and Joanna Elizabeth (Dennis) Henry, George enlisted as a mechanic in the 91st Division, U.S. Army. He trained with the cavalry at Fort Russell, Wyoming. George was one of 50 men (out of 10,000) chosen to go from Fort Russell to American Lake, Washington, with the headquarters troop of the 91st Division to help train new recruits. He later saw battle service on the western front in France.

George worked as a gold miner at Marysvale shortly after the war. He was an early member of the Modern Woodmen of America. He married Jessie M. &endash; . They later moved to Ogden.

Thomas Richard Henry

Son of George T. and Joanna Elizabeth (Dennis) Henry, and brother of fellow serviceman George E. Henry. He entered the naval service early in 1917 and was sent to San Diego for training. His service was delayed by a bout with the mumps.

Tom kept his sense of humor in the service: While standing guard at his California camp, he once challenged the regimental chaplain who returned to camp after taps. "Who goes there?" "The Chaplain." "Pass, Charlie."

Tom returned to Marysvale after the war. He was an active participant in the Marysvale Commercial Club, and managed the Miners Mercantile Company. He was an officer in Marysvale Lodge No. 58, International Order of Odd Fellows. He moved later to Chicago, Illinois.

William Lloyd Howes

Served with the infantry from August, 1918, to March, 1919. He was born 6 April 1897 at Marysvale, the son of Hyrum Howes and Olive Nancy Rudd. He married Dora Nielson of Central, Sevier, Utah, and was the father of Ardell Howes. He died 13 February 1981, and is buried at Thompsonville.

C. Rodney Jensen

Born 18 August 1896 at Huntington, Emery, Utah. He was a laborer at the Florence Mining & Milling Company at Marysvale just before the war. He volunteered as a member of the infantry for more than a year, and was sent overseas in August, 1918.

Earl Jensen

Born 21 October 1887 at Richfield, Sevier, Utah. Although a resident of Marysvale, he was working as a farmer at Richfield just before the war. Earl was the first man drafted out of Piute County in September, 1917. He was sent to American Lake, Washington, for boot camp and later went with the infantry to France, where he was severely wounded. He recovered, returned to Marysvale, and became a farmer after the war.

Francis John Kelly

Frank served closely with another Marysvale boy, Joseph Jefferson Grundy. The two boys enlisted together at Manti following a farewell reception at the Taylor Pavilion in Marysvale. Frank served with the 4th Engineers and was stationed for some time at Camp Greene, near Charlotte, North Carolina. He was also stationed at Vancouver, British Columbia, early in his service.

Frank was born at Fillmore, Millard, Utah, on 21 November 1897, a son of John William and Ruby Violet (Gibbs) Kelly. He returned to Marysvale after the war, married Ella M. &endash; , and worked as a teamster. He was a member of the Modern Woodmen of America. Frank died in Salt Lake City on 23 December 1960.

Richard Heber Kimball

Born 27 September 1896 at Salt Lake City, son of J.G. Kimball of Salt Lake City. He was working as a miner at Alunite before entering the military, serving with the infantry. He does not appear to have returned to Marysvale after the war.

Bryan Henry King

Bryan was described as "one of the popular young business me of Marysvale." He went to Salt Lake City in mid-summer 1918 to enlist in the Marines. He returned to Marysvale following the war, where he became the owner of the Pines Hotel and an active participant in the Marysvale Commercial Club.

Homer Thomas King

Born 7 October 1891 at Marysvale, a son of Harry and Mary Ellen (Thompson) King. Homer served with the 91st Division in France where he was gassed in action. Like many soldiers so gassed, Homer never fully recovered. He contracted pneumonia in 1934; because of his war-weakened lungs, he was taken to the Army Hospital at Fort Douglas where he died in July, 1934. He was buried at Richfield, Sevier, Utah, following a military funeral.

Following the war, he moved to Richfield. Homer became a member of the Jensen-Colby Post of the American Legion. He married Maud Waters of Richfield, who died in January, 1932. Homer left a young son, Dean King. 

Orville D. King

A member of Utah's 145th Field Artillery, Orville spent most of his training at Camp Kearney, near Linda Vista, California.

Camp Kearney, California, June 12, 1918

Dear Folks &endash; Well, I had a nice birthday yesterday. I drilled all day and the worst part of it was, it was nearly six o'clock at night before I even thought about it. But I guess this will not be the last one I will not think of, because when a person gets to France he does not have time to think of anything. All that can be on our mind is "get that German before he gets you," and believe me I am one that is going to do it.

Yes, mother, I am going to leave today, about 4 o'clock, so when this letter reaches you we will be on our way. Mother, I am glad I am going. I joined the army to fight and now I have got my chance, and if I get killed over there I will die like a man. And I know you would rather see me do that than stay here and die as a "slacker." The man that fights like a man is the one that will be taken into the "Kingdom of Heaven."

Mother, you may not hear from me for about two weeks, but you can write and send to the same address as you have heretofore. Tell Bryan that I am too busy to write and tell Dicy many thanks for the cakes. Mother, dear, don't worry any more than you ca help. Give my love to all.

Lovingly your son, Orville D. King.

P.S. &endash; Louis is going, but Glen is going to stay.

Francis S. Knaus

Frank left Marysvale late in August, 1918, with the intention of enlisting in the Navy at Salt Lake City. He was sent to San Diego for boot camp. The war ended before his military training was completed, but not before Frank was stricken with the Spanish flu. He recovered after a period of serious illness.

Frank was born about 1900 in New Mexico, and was the son of Thoms Edward and Lona B. Knaus. He graduated from the Marysvale eighth grade in 1916. He later attended the Wasatch Academy at Mt. Pleasant (along with other future Marysvale servicemen, Glen Black, Orville King, and Ernest Scoggings). He returned to school following his discharge, graduating from the Wasatch Academy in 1920. He later returned to Marysvale.

Roy William LaForce

Roy was born 2 December 1894 at Jasper, Missouri. He worked as a watchman for the Mineral Products Corporation at Marysvale before the war. Drafted in May, 1918, Roy left Marysvale for induction in Salt Lake on 25 May 1918.

Thamer Edward LaForce

Ed was born 15 October 1888 at Jasper, Missouri, and worked as a miner for R.A. Meiklejohn at Marysvale before the war. He volunteered in 1917 and served for almost two years. He was slightly wounded while overseas.

James Lane

James worked for several years as superintendent of the Mineral Products Corporation at Marysvale and Alunite. He enlisted in the service and was stationed at Paris Island, South Carolina, where he was attached to the Marine Corps' mining and mapping school. He does not appear to have returned to Marysvale following the war.

Arnold Lee

Born 3 May 1894 at Decorah, Iowa, Arnold had served for nine months as a Navy midshipman before World War I. He volunteered for the army's newly-formed Forest Regiment in March, 1918, and was assigned to duty at Fort Logan, Colorado. Before the war he worked at the Bonneville Lumber Company in Marysvale.

Antonios L. Louchaustathes

Born 14 January 1893 at Voulovie, Greece, he was a section laborer for the D&RG Railroad based at Marysvale before the war. He had served with the US Guards for about six months prior to coming to Marysvale.

Earl W. Luker

Earl was drafted from Alunite, and served with the infantry for about six months. He was a son of Rudolph and Henrietta Luker, and a brother of fellow veteran Rudolph Luker. Both men had lived in the Marysvale area at least since 1916, when they helped fight the fire at the Bertelsen home and store.

Rudolph Luker

Dolph worked at Alunite before the war, and served with the infantry for a full year. He returned to work at Alunite after the war. Dolph's wife was named Agnes. He was a son of Rudolph and Henrietta Luker, and brother of Earl W. Luker. Both brothers were early members of the Modern Woodmen of America.

Wilford Malmquist

Drafted into the infantry, where he served for nearly two years.

D.M. McCrea

Was employed at Alunite, and was drafted into the infantry in April, 1918. He was discharged in February, 1919. He did not return to the Marysvale area after the war.

Victor E. Mork

Son of the Rev. E.E. Mork of Salt Lake City, Victor had lived in Marysvale with his sister, Anna Mork Ensign, prior to the war. He worked for the Mineral Products Company during his Marysvale stay. He enlisted in December, 1917, and was trained as a pilot. The war ended just as his training was completed, preventing him from actual overseas service.

Eldred V. Nay

A native of Richfield, Eldred had lived for some time at Marysvale before the war. Eldred served in France with the 145th Utah Artillery. He was discharged early in February, 1919, and returned to his family at Richfield. His wife's name was Theo; he had a son named Hinton born soon after Eldred's return from the service.

Floyd Nielson

John (Jack) Erwin Nielson

Jess Parker Palmer

Born 11 August 1888 at Hafman, Texas. Jess had three years of military experience in Arizona prior to his World War I service. He was working as a laborer at the Deer Trail Mine just prior to being drafted. He served for two months at the end of the war with the Student Army Training Corps, probably as an instructor rather than a student. He did not return to Marysvale after the war.

Peter Dennis Pitts

Born 21 January 1887 at Marysvale, the son of Peter T. and Martha (Howes) Pitts. He was farming for his mother when he registered for military service.

Peter was the only Piute County boy to be killed in action during the war. "He was a splendid specimen of manhood and passed a creditable physical examination when he was inducted," according to the editor who wrote his obituary. He left Marysvale for training in the spring of 1918, going first to Camp Lewis, Washington, and later to San Diego. He died in battle on October 5, 1918. There is a stone for Peter in the Howes cemetery near Marysvale; I do not know whether his body was returned from France or whether that is simply a memorial stone.

The county's first American Legion post, established in March, 1932, was named the Peter D. Pitts Post.

Glenn William Porter

Born 23 June 1891 at Aberdeen, South Dakota. He was working as a deputy sheriff assigned to the Florence Mining & Milling Company at Marysvale when he went into the service. (The alunite mines and mills were considered essential war plants, meriting the special protection of a deputy sheriff; perhaps this should also be considered part of Glenn's contribution to the war.) Glenn served with the field artillery for a year and a half. He apparently did not return to Marysvale after the war.

Whitmore Andrew Rosequist

Born 6 December 1886 at Ephraim, Sanpete, Utah, son of William Rosequist. Whit was one of Marysvale's earliest drivers, purchasing a Ford from a Richfield dealer in May, 1916. He was a tool sharpener at the Deer Trail Mine at the time he went into the service. He was stationed at Camp Eustis, and later was sent to France. A letter to his mother describes his experiences there:

France, Jan. 8, 1919

Dear Mother &endash;

It has been a few days since I wrote home and as there is no drill this morning I have time to drop a few lines. We are still in France and don't know how soon we will leave. But I hope that it is soon.

I am sending you a little souvenir from France and have more for the rest of the folks but will bring them with me when I return home. The other day I got a great deal of mail that was sent to Camp Eustis and some that was sent A.E.F.

You asked me in one letter about my trip over here. Well, it was some trip. We sailed on the afternoon of October 7th on a German boat that the U.S. took over when the war started. It was not such a large boat &endash; only about 528 feet long and carried some 3000 troops, besides the crew of about 500 sailors. The name of the boat was "Susquehanna" and was formerly called the "Rhine". It took us 14 days to make the trip. The ninth day out we saw some quick action on the part of the gun crew on the two six-inch guns. We observed something in the water on the starboard side which resembled a periscope, and the way they blasted it all to pieces sure looked good. And I was not the least bit scared and I was on guard and had a dandy view of it all.

Some two days later, early in the morning when still in bed, we felt the shock of "death bombs" which the destroyers were dropping. I got up and saw them very busy in all directions. The report was that they sun, one submarine and captured the crew.

The rest of the trip was made in safety and we landed O.K. and sound at Brest. Will tell you more when I come home. As ever I am feeling fine.

Love to all, your son, Whitmore

Whit returned to Marysvale following the war, where he operated a small farm and participated in local organizations such as the Marysvale lodge of Odd Fellows.

William Ernest Scoggings

Ernest was born 28 June 1899 at Marysvale. He was a student at the Wasatch Academy in Mt. Pleasant before entering the service, where he served as a member of the Student Army Training Corps. He was furloughed home to Marysvale in October, 1918, when the Student Army Training Corps was dismissed in hopes of avoiding the flu epidemic.

Samuel Smith

Clarence Sorenson

Born 27 November 18[9?]3 at Monroe, Sevier, Utah. Clarence was farming for Wilford Munson at Marysvale before going into the service.

Constant Steelant

Born 22 July 1890 at Ouckene, Flanders, Belgium. Unlike some of the other non-citizens who went into the service from Marysvale, Constant intended to become a citizen of the United States. He had taken out his first naturalization papers before entering the armed forces. He was a miner for the Mineral Products Corporation, and was the sole support of his mother. In the draft lottery, his name was drawn as No. 1, making it a certainty that he would be called into the service.

Constant died of the flu and pneumonia during the epidemic at the end of the war. The State of Utah sent a certificate of appreciation for his services to his next of kin, named as Cyrl Pinno of Grosse Point, Michigan.

LeGrand Charley Stewart

LeGrand was the son of James William and Mary Evelyn (Burriston) Stewart, and a brother to Birdie Stocks of Marysvale and Mrs. A.C. Larsen of Alunite, and had lived in Marysvale for several years before the war. LeGrand trained with Company C, 861st Infantry, at Camp Lewis, American Lake Washington, and was promoted to the rank of corporal. He was furloughed in June, 1918, and traveled to Ogden, where he met with his Marysvale sisters and other siblings from around the state; this was the first time in some twelve years that the brothers and sisters had all been together.

He wrote this poem to describe the Army life:

I'm in the Army now.

No more ham and eggs or grapefruit

When the bugle blows for chow,

No more apple pie or dumpling,

For I'm in the Army now.

They feed me beans for breakfast,

And at noon I love them too,

And at night they fill my tummy

With a good old Army stew.

No more beer or highballs

When I've got an awful thirst.

If you're thinking of enlisting,

Best get used to water first,

For the lid's on tight all over

And the drilling makes me warm,

But I can't cool off with liquor

'Cause I wear a uniform.

No more shirts of silk or linen

For I wear the O.D. stuff.

No more nightshirts or pajamas,

For my pants are good enough.

No more feather ticks or pillows,

But I'm glad to thank the Lord

That I've got a cot and blanket

When I might have got a board.

For they feed me beans for breakfast,

And at noon I love them too,

And at night they fill my tummy

With a good old Army stew.

But by jinks, I'll lick the Kaiser

When the sergeants teach me how,

For, damn him, he's the reason

That I'm in the Army now!

In a letter to his sister Birdie, dated 25 July 1918, he wrote:

Mrs. Jas. Stocks, Marysvale, Ut.

Dear sister & Family, we have been traveling so long haven't had time to write, out of ink. But we are settled for a while. I think we certainly had a fine trip. Came through Scotland & England; am in France now. I got pretty sick crossing the ocean. We were eleven days. Everything is green & pretty here. There isn't any news to write. The only thing I can tell you is that I am well & am getting along fine, so don't worry about me at all. You must write often for it takes a long time to get a letter over here.

Tell all hello. Hope you are all well. Excuse this writing, for I am standing up writing on the wall.

Love to all.

Sgt. Legrande C. Stewart

Co. C, 361st Inf.

American E[xpeditionary] F[orce]

LeGrand moved to Idaho after the war. He spent some time in the hospital at St. Anthony, Idaho, and in the Veterans Administration hospital at Salt Lake City, suffering from the lingering effects of poisoning suffered on the battlefield. 

Edward Stocks

A son of James Heber and Ellen Amanda (Nay) Stocks of Marysvale, Edward was serving with the American forces in France in January, 1918, when he died of pneumonia following influenza. He had enlisted in the army while working at Butte, Montana.

Ray V. Stocks

A son of James Heber and Ellen Amanda (Nay) Stocks of Marysvale. Ray traveled to Salt Lake City to enlist with his friend Aldus Borg. He was first assigned to Fort Russell, Wyoming, and later served as a sergeant at the base hospital in Fort Elias, Texas.

Ft. D.A. Russell, Wyo., Post Hospita

My arrival at Fort D.A. Russell, Wyoming, found the Fort located approximately three miles west of Cheyenne, Wyoming, the Capitol of the State and on the main line of the Colorado & Southern Railroad. The Fort covers an area of 12 by 36 miles, and the buildings within the Fort cover an area of one and one-half miles and is large enough to care for and train 15,000 soldiers, but at present there are only about four or five thousand, and still the good patriotic boys of America are coming in by the train-load every day, so it cannot be long until the quarters are filled.

The quarters are all built of red brick and practically all two stories high, with up-to-date fixtures in them, such as shower baths, reading rooms, pool tables, gym, and many other amusements.

The surroundings are very much different from Utah. You can look with a radius from 65 to 95 miles, and with a very keen eye there are a few faint, low mountains visible, so you can see it is very level right here.

Fort D.A. Russell is about 3,000 feet about sea-level, so the air is very light. The weather is very odd, so changeable, raining, then hailing, then blowing, with the emphasis on the wind.

The streets are not paved but are of a good grade of dirt road. The Lincoln Highway passes by the Fort.

Well, I am going to tell you something about the work I am doing. Recently I have been promoted to Ward-master of one of the many wards of the Hospital, but I expect that when I complete my special course in the non-commissioned officer class, I will take up the duties of a Sergeant.

Here is the routine of the day. We have first call at 5:15 a.m.; roll call at 5:30 a.m., drill calisthenics from 5:35-5:55; breakfast at 6:00 a.m., drill at 8:30 a.m. to 10:00 a.m., fatigue, 10:15 to 11:45 a.m.; dinner at 12 noon.

1st class school, 2:00 to 3:00 p.m.; 1st class drill, 3:00 to 4:00 p.m.; 2nd class drill, 2:00 to 3:00 p.m.; 2nd class school 3:00 to 4:00 p.m.; non-commissioned officer class, 4:00 to 5:00 p.m.

Immediately after supper we are through for the day unless assigned to emergency, then we are subject to call during the night, where you are most needed.

Retreat, I mean by retreat, lowering the flag. First call, 5:55; assembly, 6:00.

After retreat we are allowed to go anywhere on the Fort grounds until 9:00 p.m. Then tatoo is sounded, which means that all men on the ground must turn in, but if you desire, after supper we may go to the city until 10:45 p.m.; at 11:00 taps is sounded, and all must be in bed except those which have a special pass from the Colonel for the time desired to be out.

This is to my knowledge the discipline and description of army life at Fort D.A. Russell.

Ray V. Stocks

Ray returned to Marysvale following the war. He was an early supporter of the Marysvale Commercial Club.

Homer Taylor

A native of Marysvale, Homer enlisted from Richfield, Sevier, Utah in the 25th Cavalry in May, 1917. His training took place at Fort Douglas, Utah, Fort Russell, Wyoming, Fort Sill, Oklahoma, and Camp Fremont, California. He sailed for France in October, 1918, arriving shortly before the armistice was signed. When he returned home in March, 1919, he surprised his family by showing up at their door without sending word that he was coming home.

Homer was born 8 September 1891, the son of Jared A. and Elsie May (Birdsall) Taylor. He married Emma Robinson before the war and had a daughter, Frieda. In 1920, he married Lella Edith Hall, a schoolteacher at Alunite, and had daughters Bernice, Evelyn, Janice and Carole, and son Melvin. He spent most of his adult life in Salt Lake City, and died 6 July 1952 on the highway near Heber City, Utah.

Orson Taylor

Born 28 October 1894 at Marysvale, son of Jared A. and Elsie May (Birdsall) Taylor. He was a farmer working for his mother, and also a carpenter working for the Florence Mining & Milling Company, just prior to the war. His carpentry skills landed him a choice berth in the service, where he became one of two Utah recruits to be sent to Camp Forest Little, Georgia, to build airplanes for the military.

Orson returned to Marysvale following the war, where he married Hazel Anderson. As a young man in Marysvale, he was something of an entrepreneur, operating a dance pavilion, a roller skating rink, and an outdoor motion picture show. He also worked as a house builder, and worked on his mother's Marysvale farm. He later became a successful salesman in southern California. 

Edwin Twitchell

Born 20 August 1896 at Escalante, Garfield, Utah. Although his father's family had lived in Escalante for many years, Edwin came to Marysvale via Canyon Creek, Idaho, where his mother, Elizabeth Casper, was living. Edwin worked for the Mineral Products Corporation at Alunite just before the war. He was drafted, but discharged two months later at the end of the war. His service was with the Coast Artillery Corps.

Eugene Vermeulen

Eugene served with the infantry for nearly two years. He did not return to Marysvale after the war, and was probably a miner, railroad worker, or other temporary resident of Marysvale at the time of his enlistment.

Arthur Wille

Born 15 September 1888 at Ursel, Belgium. He had submitted his first papers to become an American citizen prior to the war. He worked as a miner for the Mineral Products Corporation at Marysvale. He served with the Engineers for nearly a year. Arthur did not return to Marysvale following the war. 

Ella Wicklund

Born in Monroe, Sevier, Utah, Ella came to Marysvale to live with her uncle, Reuben DeWitt, following the death of her parents. She trained as a nurse at Holly Cross Hospital in Salt Lake City, and was taking a post-graduate course in Chicago when she read a notice seeking nurses and doctors to serve with the British forces in France. She volunteered and sailed for France in June, 1915, making her Marysvale's first witness to the war. For almost a year, Ella served in what would be a MASH unit today, treating wounded and gassed soldiers behind the battle lines and preparing them to be moved to more stable hospital quarters. She later reported, "The strain of witnessing so much suffering would have been terrible were it not for the fact that we were so busy caring for the wounded that we were oblivious to our feelings and to our own danger."

On her way home in the summer of 1916, she stopped in London and endured a Zeppelin attack.

Soon after her return to Utah, Ella was appointed superintendent of the maternity department at Holy Cross Hospital. The United States government awarded her a gold medal in appreciation of her lifesaving services.

Copyright 2006 by Ardis E. Parshall

| Piute Co. UTGenWeb | Contact Me |