UTAH Salt Lake County
History of Burlington Baptist Church
transcription donated by John Hewes
To further the missionary aspect of their church life, the Emmanuel (Now First Baptist) church of Salt Lake City appointed a City Missionary Committee in April of 1890. Burlington Mission and a new church group were the eventual outcome of this committee's work and the work of its successors.
The following account is given in their church records under the date of March 27, 1892.
"On the first of January 1891, Brother Bothum started a Sunday School in the school house in the Burlington Addition, under favorable prospects. About April 1, Brother George W. Ward took charge of it as superintendent, and under his leadership it has grown and prospered until from a school of twenty it now has an enrollment of 75 with an average attendance of 60. The school is doing a good work.The building thus described was located at the corner of Thirteenth West and Indiana Avenue. Under the sponsorship of the First Baptist church the work went on with vigor. By 1908 a gymnasium had been added to the building and boy's club work began to grow. By 1910 the Burlington Athletic Association was organized from this beginning under the direction of F. J. Lucas.
On March 24, 1910 the Burlington Mission was organized into a Branch church.
December 17, 1913, the First Baptist Church, which by then had become Immanuel Baptist Church, conveyed the title of the Burlington Church to the American Baptist Home Mission Society and on January 13, 1914 the Baptist council met to recognize Burlington as an independent church.
After the church became independent of Immanuel Church it was under the sponsorship of the American Baptist Home Mission Society who furnished a pastor to Burlington and Rio Grande Churches jointly.
The church grew and the old building became inadequate. Lots were secured across the street and a new building erected through a loan granted by the Mission Society. Much labor was donated by the members. The Corner stone was laid January 28, 1923 with Rev. L. A. Garrison of Ogden giving the principle address, while J. E. Berkley gave the closing prayer.
Within the next few years the building was completed after some disheartening setbacks. During the following years the membership dwindled away, until by the year of 1947 the remaining members felt that the work could best be carried on in a building more suited to a smaller group. It was voted to list the property for sale.
About this time Rev. K. E. Pederson was called to serve the Burlington and Rio Grande Churches. When the property was sold to the Deseret Book Company it was voted that Burlington should meet with Rio Grande until such time as they had a church.
It was found that there was not enough money available to erect a building suitable to the needs nor to meet the specifications of the Home Mission Society. So the plans for this building were abandoned.
Burlington and Rio Grande voted to merge and build a new church to serve both areas.
On August 24, 1949 this was legally done and Gilead Baptist church came into being.
|Copyright 2001 by
Andy E. Wold
About the host of this USGenWeb page.
|Page created 04 Mar 2001|
|Other USGenWeb county pages I host:|
UTGenWeb Project (State Coordinator).