Independence

The town of Independence was established in 1905 when the Uintah & Ouray Reservation was opened to homesteaders. It was named for the Independence Townsite & Development Company and was located on Dry Creek near the junction of the Duchesne River. Settlers for a time tried to ranching and farming on this marshy and alkaline area but gave up after just a few years. Since there was still land open to homestead, many of the farmers left to find land more favorable to farming. By 1912 most of Independence was deserted.

Last Updated: 06.16.2015