Rainbow

Located in southeastern Uintah County, Rainbow was a small mining community situated over the Rainbow Mine and was established in 1912. Although the Gilsonite mines in the area were developed by 1905, oil was struck in the area in 1920 and the town boomed.

These oil wells here are still producing today although the town itself was abandoned shortly after mining operations were relocated to the town of Bonanza in 1938. Some of the camp buildings in Rainbow were also relocated to Bonanza.

Last Updated: 06.16.2015