Augusta Stone Meeting House Ft. Defiance, Virginia, 1740
The Congregation of the Triple Forks of the Shenandoah, established two meeting houses in 1740--Tinkling Spring and the Augusta Stone, both served by Rev. John Craig. The original Augusta Stone building was a log cabin similar to that at Tinkling Spring. The stone building seen here was built 1747-1749 and was to serve both as a meeting house and a fort. Still serving its people today, it has the distinction of being the oldest Presbyterian Church in continuous use in Virginia.
[The map of Beverley Manor and Bordon Grants shows its location just outside the Manor line.]