T. TRIPLET RUSSELL WAS LOCAL HISTORIAN

Search billions of records on Ancestry.com

From the "Fauquier Times Democrat", Wednesday, July 12, 2000: T. TRIPLET RUSSELL WAS LOCAL HISTORIAN

Thomas Triplett Russell, former president of the American Institution of Architecture and designer of the Coconut Grove, FL, library, died Jun 20, in Port Charlotte, FL. He was 89.


Born and reared in Baltimore, MD, Mr. Russell went to Miami in the late 1930's and became a partner in the architecture firm of Polevitsky and Russell.

His architecture career was interrupted with World War II, in which he served as an intelligence officer with the Eighth Air Force photo-reconnaissance division. He won a bronze star and retired from service as a major.

After the war, he returned to South Florida and resumed his 40-year career in architecture. Upon his retirement, he devoted most of his time to the study of the history of Northern Virginia, and Fauquier County in particular. His interest came naturally. His father, Stanislaus Russell, a Baltimore architect, was born near Orlean, as was his mother, Harriet Lewis Triplett Russell.

Among his works are an unpublished genealogy of the Triplett family of Virginia and an unpublished architectural survey of farm places of Fauquier County.

He co-authored with John K. Gott "Fauquier County in the Revolution" and "The Dixon Valley, Its First 250 Years." He also wrote unpublished histories of the Rappahannock Mountain, Great Meadow and Flint Hill Farm.

In 1993, Russell's entire library and manuscript collection was donated to the Fauquier Heritage Society. His wife, Virginia, died in 1990. Besides his daughter, Susan, with whom he made his home, and a brother, he is survived by two grandsons and three great-grandchildren.

  • Thanks to
  • PatDuncan for sending this information.
  • One of the great regrets is that I did not have the opportunity to meet Mr. Russell. For over 32 years I have heard nothing, but great comments about Mr. Triplett. Our little community of historians and genealogists have lost a giant with his passing. Jim Burgess From the "Fauquier Times Democrat", Wednesday, July 12, 2000:

    IN MEMORIAM

    T.Triplett Russell

    Architech and Historian


    Thomas Triplett Russell, former President of the American Institute of Architecture and designer of the Coconut Grove, Florida Library, died Tuesay, June 20, 2000 in Fort Charlotte, Florida Russell 89, died after a respiratory infection following years of declining health.


    Born and reared in Baltimore, Russell went to Miami in the later 1930's and became a partner in the architectural firm of Polevitsky and Russell


    His architectural career was interupted with the outbreak of World War II, in which he served as an intelligence officer with the Eighth Air Force photo reconnaissance division. Russell won the Bronze Star and retired as a major.


    Upon his return to South Florida, he joined the Robert Lowell Weed Architecture firm and eventually established residence in Coconut Grove in the late 1940s. Two decades later, Russell formed Russell Associates with his ounger brother William, and left with friend and co-worker Jeffrey Lynch.

    With Russell Associates, Trip Russell designed many well known apartment buildings and public works projects such as Albion and Four Ambassador Hotels, the former Everglades School for Girls and rebuilt the Coconut Library.


    He won many awards during his career, including the Paris Prize, second place (1934), the Beaux Arts Institute of Design award and recognition from the AIA


    After 40 years in the practice of architecture, he retired and devoted most of his time to the study of the history or Northern Virginia and Fauquier County in particular. His interest came naturally. His father, Stanislaus Russelll, a distinguished Baltimore Architect, was born near Orlean, Fauquier County, as was his mother, Harriet Lewis (Triplett) Russell. Among his works is an unpublished architectural survey of farm places in Fauquier , a manuscript of 700 pages. He co-authored with John K Gott, "Fauquier County in the Revolution", and "The Dixon Valley, its First 250 Years", He also wrote unpublished histories of the Rappahannock Mountain, Great Meadow and Flint Hill Farm (the Estate of George Washington in Fauquier).


    In 1993, Mr Russell's entire library and manuscript collection was donated to the Fauquier Heritage Society.


    His wife, Virginia, died in 1990, Besides his daughter, Susan, with whom he made his home, and brother, William, he is survived by two grandsons and three great grand children.

    John K. Gott

  • Article taken from
  • The Fauquier Heritage and Preservation News
  • PO Box 548
  • Marshall, Virginia 20116
  • Volume 7, No 3 July 2000