[Recorded on July 3, 2006, by Georgia Phyllis Whitlock Shank (g- g- granddaughter of Fabious L. and Mary Ann Stover Mitchell, g- granddaughter of Joseph Harvey and Susan Mitchell Wright, granddaughter of William Wanless and C. Glynne Shank Wright, daughter of Mildred C. Wright and George Denton Whitlock). Photos by David W. Shank (descendant of Lewis Shank).]
Originally called the
Mitchell acquired approximately 250
acres from F.W. Lester in 1854. Around
1880, much of the land passed to Joseph H. Wright (son of James Alexander
Wright) and his wife, Susan Mitchell Wright, and then in the early 1900’s to
their son William Wanless and his wife the former Glynne Shank, daughter of
Joel and Antoinette Wickham Shank from the headwaters of Beaver Dam Creek. The cemetery and land passed into the hands
of their daughter Mildred Wright and her husband George Denton Whitlock from
the late-1940’s until sold in 1998 to the Floyd Farm Association and
Directions: From the town of
Access road, cemetery on left in distance.
The cemetery as seen from the access road.
Inside the cemetery.
ROW 1 (from the entry gate)
Roger L. Whitlock
Martha J. Blackwell Lewis Blackwell
Robert W. Blackwell Laura J Blackwell
Lewis Arthur Whitlock Military marker footstone:
SP5 2 BN
Ollie Martha Whitlock
The E. A. Whitlock Family area, southeast
corner of cemetery
Infant daughter of “Kinsley” tombstone
Rebekah & Terry Kinsley
Georgia Phyllis Whitlock Shank
[Beginning on the north side of this row is what may be one field stone
headstone in line with the three tombstones, then what may be another
fieldstone headstone with a fieldstone footstone in line with the
headstones. As the picture below shows,
there is a space of several feet before
the tombstone of Susan M. Wright. When I
first recorded the cemetery information in 1975 (under the name “
Susan M. Wife of J. H. Wright Joseph H. Wright
Blessed are the dead which Death is eternal life.
die in the Lord Why should we weep?
J. Kyle, son of Joseph H. & Susan M. Wright
Weep not he is at rest
Broken headstone: unknown Headstone left foreground: no writing
Our Mother: Elizabeth C. Mitchell Josephus A. Mitchell1
She’s safe at home Gone but not forgotten
Charley H. Mitchell Kate, wife of J. F. Mitchell
To him, we trust, a place is given Alas, she has left us, her spirit has fled
Amongst the saints with Christ in heaven Her body now slumbers along with the
Several graves marked by fieldstones
Obedience, wife of John N. Beamer Mary A. Mitchell
Thou art to pass over
Fabious L. Mitchell Foreground:
John Wm Sarah Ann
Rest, father, rest in quiet sleep,
While friends in sorrow o’er thee weep
Marker by John M.
Oakey & Son,
(?Mrs) Margaret (last name illegible) funeral marker and 2 fieldstone
Died (?March) Age (?30 or 34) years 5 months markers.
Aquilla Barton2 The “Quilly” Barton corner (SW)
OUTSIDE THE CEMETERY--NW CORNER:
Possible fieldstone marker
1 John Mitchell writing of Floyd History in The Floyd Press of 24 Sep 1981 tells the following about Palmer Ridge and two of Ceph Mitchell’s boys:
“Just to the north of
where Beaver Dam Creek flows into Little River,
“Highway 221 runs to the north and west of the Ridge and separated from it by the creek. In the old days a road left 221 at Tom Lester’s mill and ran along the south of the Ridge clear up the Huckleberry Branch and beyond. This road has long since been abandoned.
“The Ridge was named for a man by the name of Palmer. Little is known of him—where he came from, who he was, and his fate, have all been forgotten in the passing of time.
“He lived for a time atop the Ridge, reportedly his place of abode was a rail pen. Also in the old days, a gang of horse thieves used the Ridge as their base of operations, apparently secure from apprehension in the rugged wilderness. During the Civil War, the Ridge was a refuge for deserters and draft evaders of both North and South. Some spent the entire period of the War, hiding in the deep woods and dense thickets.
“Wild animals abounded on the Ridge in early times. Deer, bear, wolves, and panthers were numerous. Two sons of Ceph Mitchell once built a cage somewhere on the Ridge and trapped a large bear in it. One of the boys stuck the muzzle of a shot gun through the bars of the cage and the bear hit [sic] the end of the barrel. His teeth dented the barrel and marks were evident as long as the gun existed.”
2 Family lore tells that Mr. Barton came to Grandpa Will (W. W. Wright, Sr.) when Mrs. Barton passed away and asked permission to bury her in the family cemetery. Grandpa said there were no objections but wondered why “Quilly” had made the request. To which Mr. Barton replied that he didn’t know exactly, but she’d said she wanted to be buried in “the Wright cemetery” and he’d be obliged if it could be arranged. Sometime later, the family decided she may have meant “the right cemetery” instead of “the Wright cemetery” and we often wondered if Quilly really was buried in her cemetery of choice.
Phyllis W. Shank