VAGenWeb

Hanover County, Virginia

Genealogy Project


Cedar Creek Quaker Meeting House

 

   One of the few old colonial churches is Cedar Creek Quaker Church, which was situated in western Hanover County, Virginia, near the village of Montpelier. The church was constructed in 1770, by a man named Kimbrough. Most of the material used to build the church came from England. The church was built of brick and had an old fashioned steep roof covered with shingles. It had large galleries on all sides. The main body of the church was two rooms with a movable partition to convert it into one room. In olden times it the custom of this church for the ladies to sit in one room, and the men in the other room. The church was sixty feet by forty feet, and the windows, blinds, doors, were of solid heart pine plank. The old fashioned woodwork on the interior was of heart pine. This old structure was an interesting landmark, and a model of ancient architecture, which was situated in a forest of pine and cedar and near it ran a stream of clear, sweet water, known as Cedar Creek.

    At one time the church had a large membership, and at the big meetings thousands would often gather here. Reverend Nathaniel C. Crenshaw and his son John Bacon Crenshaw were two of the prominent old leaders. John Harris was one of the founders of the Cedar Creek Society of Friends of Hanover County.

    In 1904 a forest fire destroyed the Cedar Creek Meeting House. The Cedar Creek Meeting was established in 1721, and laid down in about 1874.    

Sources:
Quaker Friends Of Ye Olden Time, James P. Bell
Old Homes of Hanover County Virginia, Hanover County Historical Society

 


Previous Page

Return to Home Page