Formed in 1691 from New Kent County, King and Queen County was named for King William III and Queen Mary. It is located in the Middle Peninsula of Tidewater Virginia with its county seat at King and Queen Court House close to the Mattaponi River. This location has played a significant role in the history of the county - especially during the three wars fought on Virginia's soil.1
As an early Virginia county, King and Queen has been the county of origin for many families that later migrated westward and southward. Descendants of many of the old King and Queen families still reside in the area. Unfortunately for researchers, the King and Queen County Court House, along with its records has burned twice. In 1828, the Clerk's Office burned and most records were lost. The Court House and Clerk's Office, along with homes and buildings in the vicinity, was burned by Union troops on March 10, 1864 in retaliation for the killing of Colonel Ulric Dalhgren during the ambush of his troops which took place on King and Queen soil near Stephensville and Mantapike. King and Queen is one of Virginia's "burned" counties.
Present-day King and Queen County covers an area of 327 square miles with a population of under 6000. It is a long and narrow in shape, being about sixty miles long and no more than ten miles wide at any point. The county is primarily rural with several small communities such as Indian Neck, Walkerton, Bruington, Stephensville, Helmet, Newtown, and Carlton Corner located within its borders.2
(Sources: 1. Land and Heritage in the Virginia Tidewater: A History of King and Queen County by Barbara Beigun Kaplan, 1993. 2. King and Queen County General Highway Map, Commonwealth of Virginia Department of Highways and Transportation, 1985.)
|King and Queen County VAGenWeb Page
This page was last updated 2/29/2004