Church Parishes

of

King and QueenCounty


The established Church in Colonial Virginia was the Church of England. As in England, parishes were "local units of ecclesiastical and community organization".2 The Virginia General Assembly, through legislation, created parishes and defined their boundaries. As the population of Colonial Virginia grew, new parishes were formed and boundary lines changed.

Although the Church of England was dis-established as the official Church following the American Revolution and most of the duties of the vestry turned over to county officials, the parishes continued in existence. The parish boundaries were also used as geographic designations with the residence of parties to deeds being given by parish and county. These designations may be useful in determining in which part of the county the persons resided and the land being conveyed was located. The parish of residence is also given on the 1850 Census schedules for King and Queen County.

The chart below diagrams the changes in the parishes of King and Queen County from 1691 until the present.


Parishes of

King and Queen County

1655 - Present

1655=>1674b>Stratton Major
Parish
|________________
||
1674=>1690Stratton Major
Parish
(upper Parish)
St. Stephen's
Parish
(lower Parish)
||
1690=>1701Stratton Major
Parish
(upper Parish)
St. Stephen's
Parish
(lower Parish)
St. John's Parisha
(western Parish)
(=> King Wm. Co. 1701)
||
1702=>1722Stratton Major
Parish
(upper Parish)
St. Stephen's
Parish
(lower Parish)
||__________________
|||
1723=>PresentStratton Major
Parish
(lower Parish)
St. Stephen's
Parish
(middle Parish)
Drysdale
Parish
(upper Parish)

a. St. John's Parish was formed from Blissland Parish.

Prior to 1691, the Parishes shown were in New Kent County. All three Parishes, Stratton Major, St. Stephen's and St. John's fell into King and Queen County at its formation in 1691.

Today, Drysdale Parish is that portion of King and Queen County which lies north of Highway 360. The exact boundary between St. Stephen's Parish and Stratton Major Parish is unknown, but runs southwest to northeast between King and Queen Court House and Dragonville.


Sources:

1. Cocke, Charles Francis, Parish Lines in the Diocese of Virginia, (Richmond, Virginia: Virginia State Library), 1978. Pages 104-107, 109, 294.

2. Salmon, Emily J. and Campbell, Edward D. C. Jr., Editors, The Hornbook of Virginia History, (Richmond, Cirginia: The Library of Virginia), 1994. Pages 179-187.


The Village Chapel graphic used on this page is courtesy of The Mousepad.


King and Queen County VAGenWeb Page

This page was last updated 2/28/2004