Search billions of records on

Pension Application of Henry Stone S6151

                        Transcribed and annotated by C. Leon Harris


State of Virginia            }  SS.

County of Monongalia   }                     On this 25th of March in the year 1833, personally appeared in open court, before the County court of Monongalia, now sitting Henry Stone, a resident of said county, aged seventy one years, who being first duly sworn according to law, doth on his oath, make the following declaration, in order to obtain the benefit of the act of Congress, passed June 7th 1832. That he was born in the year 1762 in Frederick county Maryland – that he marched in the service of the United States from Loudon [sic: Loudoun] county Virginia, under the command of Capt. Lewis a Virginia militia officer, under a draft for two months, about the last of April or first of May 1781, that five companies marched at the same time, under the command of Col. [John] Alexander – Major’s name not recollected – adjutant Harryfoot, who lived in Leesburg – that he recollects that the said companies besides his own were commanded by Capt. Beaver, Honeg, McGeth. the other not recollected – that from Loudon we marched through Fredericksburg and Richmond, to head-quarters, where we were placed under the command of Gen’l. [Thomas] Nelson – that we were marched from place to place, avoiding the enemy, and waiting for reinforcements from the North – that the enemy compelled us to retreat up to the Blue Ridge, where we were joined by Gen’l. Wayne [Anthony Wayne after crossing North Anna River at Brock’s Bridge, 10 Jun 1781] and again marched back to the country near Williamsburg, soon after which the regiment was discharged by a general discharge, after he had served out the said two months, that he is now under the impression, that Col. Alexander took sick or went home before the end of the two months, and Col. [Charles] Dabney commanded the regiment.

            That on the 16th of September 1781 he again entered the service of the United States, by being drafted for a tour of six months at Loudon county Virginia, and was placed under the command of Capt. Hewell of Dumfries, to which place we marched – that Capt. Hewell sent us on to Fredericksburg, where he joined us in a few days, from thence we marched to Hanover courthouse to Williamsburg leaving Richmond to the right. from Williamsburg we marched to Yorktown, where we found the army commanded by Gen’l. Washington. after some weeks Lord Cornwallis surrendered [19 Oct] – that we were placed in what was called the state regiment commanded by Col. Dabney & Major [Alexander] Dick. that Col. Dabney, Major Dick and Capt. Hewell were regular officers and we militia men were placed in Hewell’s company to fill it up – that he saw the enemy march out and surrender in the old feilds – that he recollects Capt. Armstrong a regular officer, who belonged to Dabney’s regiment, and he then knew many of the names of regular & militia officers whose names he has forgotten – that after the surrender of the enemy at Yorktown, Col. Dabneys regiment marched to Portsmouth near Norfolk, where we levelled the works and entrenchments thrown up by the enemy, and remained there untill new years day – that some time in January 1782, Capt. Hewell’s company made up entirely of militia-men, marched up to Richmond, and kept garrison, guarding the magazines and jail – that at Richmond he was discharged on the 17th of March 1782 – that he believes it was sometime the last of February or first of March 1782, Capt. Hewell went home, and Capt. [Thomas] Hamilton took the command of our company, that his discharge was signed by Capt. Hamilton, which he lost more than for forty years ago, considering it of no value, he took no care of it – that he does not know what has become of the record of his age, that his father kept it in a book, which is long since destroyed – that when about six or seven years of age his father removed from Frederick county Maryland to Loudon county Virginia, that after the Revolution he lived in Loudon county five or six years, and then removed into Frederick county Virginia, from thence he removed to Green [sic: Greene] county Pennsylvania, about the year 1804, lived in that county four years and thence removed into the county of Monongalia, where he has ever since resided. That he has been for many years personally known to and acquainted with the Rev’d. Joseph A. Shackelford, David M. Hoge esq’r. Richard Harrison, Simeon Everly esq’r. Marcus Moore, Charles Simpkins, John Davis, and many other respectable citizens of said county who he believes can testify as to his character for veracity and their belief of his services in the Revolution.

            He hereby relinquishes every claim whatever to a pension or an annuity except the present and declares that his name is not on the Pension Roll of the Agency of any State.

            Sworn to and subscribed the day and year aforesaid. Henry hisOmark Stone


[The following report is by District Attorney Washington G. Singleton who investigated many pensioners from present West Virginia. For details see pension application S6111 of David W. Sleeth.]


Henry Stone  amt. of Pension $26.66.

            I the undersigned Henry Stone in pursuance of the requisition of the Secretary of War gives the following narative of my age and Revolutionary Services to Wit. I am Seventy two years old.

            In the year 1781 I was drafted for two months and marched from Loudoun County Virginia under Capt. Lewis to Richmond, there drew arms, continued the march a short distance and joined the main army, was attached to Genl Nelsons Brigade & Col Alexanders Regt. near Williamsburg  I got my discharge my term two months haveing expired

            I was again Drafted in Loudoun County and on the 16th day of September 1781 joined Capt Heurl at Dumfires  from there we went to york town  was attached to Col. Dabneys Regt.  was in that engagement after which my Regt. went to Portsmouth and Levelled the entrenchments thrown up by the British. remained there until after Christmas – when the six months men (I being one of that number) were sent up to Richmond to keep the Garason the remainder of our term. I was discharged at that place on the 17th March 1782. Thos. P. Ray [Clerk of the Monongalia County Court] wrote my Declaration

            In Witness of the above I hereto subscribe my name.

Witness  Isaac Corben[?]                                 Henry his mark Stone

                                                A true copy   W. G Singleton  Nov. 30, 1834


                        Morgantown   24 April 1835

Col. J. L. Edwards  Coms’r of Pensons [Commissioner of Pensions]

            Sir        Henry Stone called on me this day, and I read to him, in the presence of Col. Rich’d. Watts, your letter of the 23d March. he states in answer to your enquiries, that on the 16th of September 1781 (being that day or the next day that the baggage of the American Army passed thro’ Dumfries in waggons for York town) he was drafted for six months to fill up the state regiment, and marched shortly afterwards in a company commanded by Capt. Hewell, to Fredricksburg from Dumfries – at Fredricksburg we waited a day or two for Capt. Hewell – thence from Fredricksburg we went by Hanover courthouse, Williamsburg, to yorktown where we joined Col. Dabneys regiment – after Cornwallis’ surrender Dabneys regiment marched to Portsmouth, where we levelled the enemys works, and remained there untill after new year – some time in January 1782, we marched by land through Petersburg to Richmond where we guarded the magazine & jail – the whole regiment did not march to Richmond – it was only the six months men that made one company – that about a month afterwards Hewell went home and Capt. Thos. Hamilton & Lieut.       Slaughter commanded us – that he was discharged on the 17th March 1782 in writing signed by Capt. Hamilton, which he took no care of and lost more than forty years ago – that he recollects the name of several of the company  David Shinn of Fredrick, Jacob Hite of Berkley [sic: Berkeley County], Joseph Gilpen from South Branch,       Myers from South Branch, Jacob Weaver from Loudon,       Tessinger (a Scotchman) from Loudon, George Kreene from lower countys, Robert Speers from one of lower counties – these drafted men were collected from various counties to  fill up the state regiment and marched to Dumfries – that he was raised in Loudon county and there drafted, with four or five others, out of different companies of Loudon militia.             I am respt’y. yr. obt. St.   Thos. P. Ray