P. O. Box 855
Mathews, Virginia 23109-0855
People to the Past
The Tompkins Cottage, museum and headquarters of the Mathews County Historical Society, is believed to be the oldest frame structure in the Courthouse area.
The Cottage, located on Brickbat Road, houses an historical exhibit on the County and three rooms furnished in the style of a typical small dwelling of the 1800's.
The earliest known
owner of this
ca 1815 building near the head of Put In Creek was Christopher
Tompkins, a prominent local planter, merchant, sea captain, and ship
owner/builder. His insurance
correspondence notes that it was used in his mercantile business
for the sale of dry goods, hardware and groceries. Tompkins was also
the father of Capt. Sally Tompkins, the first woman to be commissioned
an officer in the Confederate Army. The little
bedroom is dedicated to her memory.
the building has served as a tailor shop, cobbler
shop, tearoom and residence. It was bought by the County in 1964 and
has been leased to the Historical Society
The Tompkins Cottage is open on Fridays from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m and Saturdays from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m., April through October, as well as, by appointment. The Cottage has extended hours during special events in the County.
The Tompkins Cottage Shop has books, publications, posters, and other items relating to the history of Mathews and the Chesapeake Bay.
© 2011 MATHEWS COUNTY HISTORICAL SOCIETY