Submitter's Note: Sarah was born in Nelson County Virginia in 1846 the daughter of Jesse Jobalyn Allen b. 1813 Nelson Co., and Jane Mildred Small b. 1819, Nelson Co. m. 1836 in Nelson County, VA.
Nokomis (IL) Free Press December 6, 1923
MRS. SARAH E. HAMELL PIONEER RESIDENT, DIED LAST WEDNESDAY NIGHT
Came in Prairie Schooners to Illinois attended Sunday School taught by Abe Lincoln
The story of the early life of MRS. SARAH E. HAMELL, aged and respected citizen of Nokomis, who dies at her home 311 South Maple Street, Wednesday evening, November 28, 1923, reads like a chapter of early American history. She was the daughter of MR. and MRS. JESSE J. ALLEN and was born in Nelson County, Virginia in 1846. Her parents, like many of our staunch old eastern forbears heard the westward cry and started by wagon for Ohio when MRS. HAMELL was a very little girl. They lived there (Ohio) until she was nine years old and then they started in a prairie schooner with several other brave families for the "far west" Springfield, Illinois. There the Allen Family lived for two years and the deceased was sent to Springfield to Sunday School, where a tall, plain, uncouth man with a kindly face and sad eyes was the superintendent. That man’s name was ABRAHAM LINCOLN and many, many years later the woman who used to be little SARAH ALLEN loved to tell her children and grandchildren how ABRAHAM LINCOLN, the beloved martyr president, used to conduct that Springfield School which she attended as a little girl. From Springfield, the ALLEN family moved to a farm in Christian County. By this time SARAH ALLEN was no longer a little girl, but a young lady. Here she met THOMAS HAMELL a young farmer who...their neighborhood, and love... out of friendship. They were married October 3, 1863, and lived on a farm in Christian County. Both young people had been raised in the church and the church became one of the predominate interests of their lives. And so...1865 talk of a church in the....land was started, THOMAS HAMELL and his wife were among its most ardent enthusiasts. MR. HAMELL cut and ....ed the timber used in construction of this church -- the Center Grove Methodist Church in Greenwood Township. He became a trustee and for years was the superintendent of Sunday School. His children and other young men and women, still remember his Sunday School and how they conducted its meetings. MR. and MRS. HAMELL became the parents of eight children, only two of whom are now living. They are JOSEPH E. HAMELL of Rosemond, A.... TRUDE BUSBY of Witt, MAG.... CHENEY, CHARLES E. HAMELL and IRA .. Nokomis, IDA MARY RIFE, Will...RY and EFFIE R. HAMELL preceded the couple in death.
(newspaper is nearly impossible to read beyond this point, paper is torn with pieces missing).
(article started on page 1)
Amherst families trace bloodlines to earliest days of county history
By Joseph Clement
This article is the third in a series entitled "Nelson County:
Land Grants from the King," whose descendants still own land chartered to their
ancestors the settlers of Nelson County.
The first two stories in the series were about Dr. William Cabell and the Rev. Robert Rose and their descendants. Cabell and Rose owned or shared title in 155,000 acres granted from Kings George II and III of England.
This article is about other 18th century pioneers whose families still own chartered land.
In the early 18th century, expansion westward to central Virginia
was encouraged by the King George II of England. The seemingly endless amount of
land was not useful to him unless it could be kept colonized, taxed and out of
the hands of enemies, according to 20th Century Cabells and Their Kin,
by Randolph Cabell.
As early settlers explored what was to become Nelson County, they looked for unclaimed areas for which to apply for grants. The first settler, Dr. William Cabell, chose the Wingina area for his home. The Rev. Robert Rose established the Piney River and Roseland areas. Descendants of both still live in the county.
Various regions of Nelson County were claimed in this way. At least three other land grants from the king are still owned by descendants. The original grants were given to William Harris, James Dickie and James Stevens.
William Harris was granted approximately 2,000 acres, beginning with the first parcel in 1739 in what was then Albemarle County. His son, Maj. William Harris Jr., built two homes, Dovecote and Rockford.
Rockford still stands near Faber and is owned by a descendant, Catherine Hawes Coleman Seaman, and her husband, John. Their property consists of approximately 450 acres.
James Dickie received three or more grants totaling at least 709 acres and perhaps as much as 3,500 acres in and around what is now the Roseland area. According to Tuckahoes and Cohees: The Settlers and Cultures of Amherst and Nelson Counties from 1607-1807, by Catherine Seaman, he received 2,700 acres in 1750.
The History of Nelson County, published by the Nelson County Home Demonstration Clubs in 1965, records three additional separate land grants to Dickie beginning in 1752 one being for 300 acres on the south side of Castle Creek. The second was in 1758 for 190 acres on the north side of the creek and the third grant in 1760 added 219 acres on either side of the creek.
A descendant, Emily Dickie Bugierre, currently lives at Breeze Hill on 550 acres of the land with her husband, Tomas. Her son, Thomas Jr., also lives on grant land and is the sixth generation to do so. The property has been continuously farmed by the family since it was granted to them in the 1700s.
Another descendant of James Dickie who also owns grant land is Walter Hoffman, whose mother was Emily Dickie Hoffman. Hoffman is a former West District supervisor on the Nelson County Board of Supervisors.
The third family to continu-ously own land granted by the king is the Stevens family. According to family historical records, sometime in the 1750s, James Stevens and his friend, John Loving, climbed up to the highest mountain peak they could find in the middle of what was to become Nelson County.
"They viewed the landscape o'er" and agreed that one would take as far as he could see on the right side of the road, and the other the left. How factual the story is is not known. However, most of what is today the Stevens lands lies to the west of the Old Stage Road. Family records indicate land ownings of at least 2,000 acres, perhaps much more.
The Lovings' land was on the east side and included the area that was named the village of Lovingston, which later became the county seat. The size of John Loving's acreage at the time is not available. However, it is known that he acquired 10,000 additional acres in 1758 from a man named John Reid.
Other areas of the county were established and settled by the recipients of grant land as well.
Peter Lyon chose the Faber area and was given a grant of an undetermined amount of acreage sometime after 1738, according to A History of Nelson County.
The book cited some of the dimensions and landmarks of his property: "His plantation embraced a large territory including the old Macy place, just back of Old Mt. Shiloh Church, all of Colonel Shepherd's estate, the Tom Martin estate and the John Hamner property."
James Wood was granted 2,346 acres in the Rockfish Valley between 1749 and 1760. He has been called "the first white settler to make his home the Rockfish Valley," according to A History of Nelson County.
Thomas Massie came to Nelson County to build a home on the Tye River in 1796. He acquired 3,111 acres from Col. John Rose, which was a portion of the grant land of his father, the Rev. Robert Rose.
Massie moved in 1803 to the site of present day Massies Mill, where he built Level Green. He had been com-mander of the Sixth Virginia Regiment of Infantry and aide to Gov. Thomas Nelson at the Siege of Yorktown. He earned the rank of major during his military campaigns and later became one of Nelson County's first magistrates.
The pioneers of Nelson County are too many to name. A tribute to their vision of the future, perhaps, would be that the county of today is not that much different than the one they knew.
From Amherst County, Virginia, in the Revolution
CASHWELL, WILLIAM,-Amherst Co., Va., Sept. 17,1832: b. Feb., 1762; private, 1779, under Capt. David Woodroof, marched to Albemarle Barracks; vol. 1780, in Capt. John Morrison's Rifle Corps, marched to Ricbmond and stationed about three miles from Petersburg at Long's Ordinary; here were 1500 men under Gens. Lawson & Steuben. In Feb. drafted under Capt. James Franklin on Guilford Expedition; reached there in time to bear the guns at the battle of Guilford; fellow soldiers: William Hartless, Philip Smith & Benjamin Higginbotham. Drafted under Capt. John Stewart & was in the, Siege of York Town; marched with the prisoners taken in the siege to Winchester Barracks. He died (June 9. 1847). Betsy (Penn)Cashwell, pensioner's widow, aged 77, applied July 18, 1848; they were m. Nov. 7, 1791, by Rev. Crawford.
This is a copy of the application for Amherst Soldier;s Pensions from the book Amherst County, Virginia in the Revolution:
WARE, THOMAS,- Nelson Co., VA., October 19, 1832: b. Amherst Co., VA., 1762 or '63; enlisted as a private in Capt. Leak's Co., 1781, under Cols. Richardson & Lindsay, at Albemarle & marched to York; the French tool Pigeon Hill on Sunday & he was called on to work in plain view of the enemy's breastworks for 4 days & nights. While there the enemy kept up a brisk cannonading with little injury- only one of our men being killed After four day our army compelled to surrender, which they signified by hoisting a white flag; but their terms not being satisfactory to Gen.. Washington were rejected.. Finally they offered acceptable terms, marched out & ground their arms. The day following we, with other militia troops, marched with prisoners to Nolan's ferry on the Potomac River, where they were delivered to Maryland troops; 8 mos. service. He d. December 26, 1851, & Mildred Ware, pensioner's widow, applied July 3, 1853; they were m. in Buckingham Co., VA., October 15, 1787. M.L.B. Buckingham Co., VA,: "Thomas Ware & Milley Brayandt, October 8, 1787. Security, Randolph Jefferson," James Lyon, Nelson Co., March 3, 1854, aged 74, testified "he went to school with some of her children to a Mr.. Holman JOPLING, Thomas Ware & wife, Milley, raised 14 children." Mrs.. Elizabeth Pugh is the eldest, John Thomas, Martha, Nancey, Malinda, Mildred, William Edward, Peyton, Polly, Virginia, Almira & Robert. Her claim was allowed.
Hope this can be a help to someone in their research.
Below you will find information from Amherst County, Virginia in the Revolution by Sweeny:
JOPLING, THOMAS, Nelson Co. Va., April 29, 1832 aged 73: Enlisted February 9, 1776, Capt. Walker, Col. Russell's 9th Va. Regt., Gen. Muhlenberg's Brig.; discharged at Valley Forge, Feb, 19 1778. He died March 29, 1837, and Molly Jopling, pensioner's widow, applied same place, April 27, 1840, aged 69. Marriage bond accompanies declaration: "November 22, 1790, Thomas Jopling, Jr., bachelor & Mary Stephens, spinster, both of Amherst County. Consent of her father James Stephens, Sr." Her claim was allowed.
The aboved named Thomas Jopling was b. 1755 and died 1837. He was the son of Ralph Jopling and Katherine Farrar. This Thomas Jopling Jr. is the nephew of the Thomas Jopling who moved to Kanawha County WV and married Sarah Stevens.
I hope this is of help to someone in their research. I would also like to offer to look up information for anyone who feels that they may have ancestors listed in Amherst County, Virginia in the Revolution by Sweeny.
Thought you might enjoy an except from the Diary of Robert Rose. He was a VA parson whose diary was published.
247-On September 16, 1729, Thomas Joplin, and his "tithables" assisted in clearing the road from Tuckahoe Creek mill to the main "river road" (Three Chop Road), which traversed the area between Richmond to Woods (now Jarman's) Gap. Joplin's road was then Goochland County, Later in Albemarle County, Joplin replaced John Johns as surveyor of the road from Rockfish River to Hardware River (on June 27, 1745). Joplin's son married Catherine Farrar, daughter of John Farrar, (See Note 827) Joplin lived near where Joplin's Ford Bridge now crosses Rockfish River via Route 722 between Albemarle and Nelson County. In 1761, the river became part of the line between Albemarle and Amherst and Nelson (formed in 1808 from Amherst).
[Goochland County Order Book 1, p. 148; Albemarle County Order Book, 1744-48; Moore, p. 37; Hiden, p 52.]
938-Three families who lived on Rockfish River where Parson Rose might have had his breakfast were those of Thomas Joplin, John Farrar, and Allen Howard. From there , Rose rode to the new Ballenger's Creek Church near present Boiling Springs in Albemarle County, where his sermon text was: "God so loved the world that he gave his only-begotten Son, that whosoever believes in him shall not perish, but have everlasting life." The freat German reformer, Martin Luther (1483-1546) described this Bible verse as the Christian "Gospel in miniature."
Article "James Rufus Jopling," in the book MEN OF MARK IN VIRGINIA; Ideals of American Life, Vol. III, by Lyon G. Tyler, LL.D., (1907) pp. 188 & 189:
"JOPLING, JAMES RUFUS, was born November 19, 1845, in
Bedford County, Virginia, and his parents were William W. Jopling and Julia Ann
Jopling. His father, who was a farmer and justice of the peace, was born October
27, 1815, and was the son of James Jopling, whose parents came from England to
Virginia in colonial days. In 1841, William W. Jopling married Julia Ann, daughter
of Rufus Thomas, whose parents came to Virginia from Scotland. She was born in
1821 and died August 3, 1856.
James Rufus Jopling was reared in the country, enjoyed good health and did occasional manual labor on the farm. He attended the country schools until eighteen years of age, when he quit them to enter the Confederate army. He joined Captain R. B. Claytor's Company B, 10th battalion of artillery, then stationed on Marion Hill, at Battery Number 2, Richmond defences. During the winter of 1863-1864, mr. Jopling was detailed with the other members of his company to guard Federal prisoners at Belle Isle, Libby prison and Barracks Number 2 in Richmond, and the next spring he was assigned to the ordnance department of the battalion, and so served until the close of the war.
After the war, Mr. Jopling went back to his father's farm and worked like a day laborer until he was appointed in November, 1866, deputy sheriff of Bedford county. He served in that capacity until September 1868, when he resigned and worked as a clerk with Jones, Watts and Company in Lynchburg. In June, 1871, he formed a co-partnership with them under the firm name of Jones, Watts and Jopling. He removed to Salem, where he was a manager of the partnership interest in a hardware store there. In September 1874, he removed to Danville, where for five years he was manager of a similar store. In 1879, he bought out the interest of Messrs. Jones, Watts and Company, and conducted the wholesale and retail business there until 1897.
From 1893 to 1897 he was president of Merchants bank, when he merged the Merchants bank into the First National bank of Danville, of which he has ever since been president. He is also president of the Morotock Manufacturing company; and a director in both the Riverside Cotton mills and the Dan River Cotton mills. For two years he was president of the Virginia State Sunday School association, and was a delegate to the World's Convention of this association, which met at Jerusalem in 1904. He hasbeen the representative from Virginia on the executive committee of the International Sunday School association for several years.
In politics he is a Democrat; in religious preference, a Methodist; in both, sincere and zealous. He is a steward and trustee in the Mount Vernon church of Danville, the present church edifice being largely the result of his own individual efforts and contributions. And for thirty-four years he has been teacher of an adult Bible class, composed of young men principally. He has also served as director in the Danville Methodist college and in the Danville Street Car company. His biography has been written by Dr. R. A. Brock, in "Virginia and Virginians," and to it the writer is largely indebted for the facts contained in this sketch.
On October 4, 1871, he married Mollie, daughter of Samuel and Margaret Phelps of Nelson county. Mrs. Jopling was born in Nelson county, Virginia, on November 24, 1849. Mr. and Mrs. Jopling have had one child, Mary Julia, who is now (1906) living.
His address is Danville, Virginia."
The Lawhorn family takes root in Virginia in the early 1700s with a Thomas Lawhorn in Goochland County. He is listed in June 1731 as a taxpayer tasked to clear a road from a ferry on the James River to the "Church" close to Goochland Courthouse. His tax was his labor and, later, his descendants would pay their tax in tobacco as "planters" moving up the James in search of new tobacco lands. Lawhorns moved into Buckingham County, then into Fluvanna, Bedford, Amherst, and Nelson Counties. After the Revolution they spread into southwestern Virginia and after 1812 on to Kentucky and from there on to Thomas Jefferson’s Louisiana Purchase.
Tradition says the family comes from Wales and the village of Laugharne on the Welsh south coast with its famous Laugharne Castle. The Castle was a scene of battle during the English Civil War in 1644 and this event may explain a family exodus to the colonies. A Thomas Laughorne is identified in 1720 on a ship bound from Bristol on the English west coast to Maryland, and he is the likely family originator and the same Thomas Lawhorn in Goochland.
Lawhorn land purchases in the 1700s are numerous in the surveyor books of Albermarle and Amherst County. A William Lawhorn in 1745 is shown living on the Slate River in Buckingham County close to the James. In 1750, a Thomas Lawhorn is on Rockfish Creek east of Scotsville owning 81 acres. In 1767, a Thomas and a Henry Lawhorn attempt to separately purchase land on Woodson’s Great Creek and Shepard Creek in Fluvanna County, again, close to Scotsville.
The Lawhorn’s entry into Nelson County occurred in 1773 with a Henry Lawhorn taking 48 acres on Davis Creek north of Lovingston. Henry didn’t stay however, and it wasn’t until 1791 when a Thomas Lawhorn transferred land warrants to a William Lawhorn that settlements on Thasher’s Creek and Indian Creek put the family firmly into Amherst and Nelson Counties.
The early records offer many interesting facts about the Lawhorns. In 1746 Thomas Lawhorn is listed as neighbor to Tuckahoe Plantation seated by Peter Jefferson father of a young Thomas Jefferson. A later Thomas Lawhorn is 18 in 1781 when he re-enlists for service in the Revolutionary War at Chesterfield Courthouse. In the War of 1812, four Lawhorns serve with one dying in 1815 at Camp Holly east of Richmond. In the Civil War, many Lawhorns serve, and one, an Isham Lawhorn, Private from Buffalo Springs, is killed in action on July 3, 1863 at Gettysburg as his unit, the Virginia 19th, under Major General George Picket attacks Union lines.
One of the more interesting facts of the family history is that Lawhorns never owned slaves according to Census records. Nearby neighbors did own slaves but the Lawhornes worked their own land it seems and shifted from tobacco to grain crops as the markets changed in the middle 1800s. Another interesting item is the supposed mix of Monacan Sioux Indian blood in family lines in the early 1800s. Strong hints say the mix is so but records are limited and the search continues on this and other family legends.
During the years of the Confederacy, 1861-1865, many Counties in Virginia were forced to issue as
currency, notes or scrip in sums equal to the amounts authorized for arming and equipping their
volunteers, to support the families of those indigent, and in service.
Many of those notes were typeset and printed locally, on any type of paper that was available.
Nelson County notes were issued on September 1, 1861, these notes were in 25 cent and one dollar denominations. The notes were issued and hand signed by the County Sheriff, D. A. Witt.
Nelson County notes were receivable for State and County taxes for 1861 and 1862. The notes were redeemable at the Office of Sheriff Nelson County in Virginia Bank Notes when Five Dollars and upward were presented.
First sheriff of Nelson County was John M. Shelton. appointed by Nelson County Court in1808.
First County surveyor of Nelson County was William Hill, appointed by Nelson County Court in 1808. The Hill family held this job for 108 straight years until succeded by Samuel Saunders in 1916. Samuel Saunders grandmother was a Hill. John M.Shelton and William Hill were my great-great-grandfathers.
I am helping my son do a history project for the University of Virginia regarding the Afton area and have come across the McCue family and the the book, The McCue's of the Old Dominion. It is a complete genealogy of the family that resided (and may still) in the Afton area. The book was published around the turn of the century. A copy is in the DAR Library in Washington D.C. and the Virginia State Library.
I have another item for Nelson County researchers with family locations up towards Afton, Virgninia; that is to look at Albermarle County records in Charlottesville. The old records are all in good shape and accessable for Xerox copy at $.50/page.
Also the old survey books (3) have parcel plots of land for the mid 1700's for owners that now are in Nelson, Amherst, Fluvanna, and Buckingham Counties. I found two land plots for my family interest area, the Lawhorne's, for parcels now in Fluvanna County (off the Hardware River) and in Buckingham County (off the Slate River). These were for Thomas Lawhorn and William Lawhorn.