On the motion of Thomas Robertson [sic. Robinson] who hath paid to the clerk of this court the sum of eighteen Dollars and entered into bond with security according to law, License is granted him to keep a tavern at Locust Grove in this County until the first day of May court next. The court being satisfied that the applicant is a man of good character not addicted to drink, racing or gaming and being of opinion that he will keep an orderly and useful house of entertainment.[Orange County Court Minutes, May 1821]
Note:Mr. Robinson had maintained a tavern at this location for some years. All prior licenses had listed its location as "Old Trap." This appears to be the first mention of Locust Grove. A portion of the building utilized by Robinson*s tavern still stands behind the new Exxon Station and Market at the intersection of Rts. 20 & 611.