Prince Edward County, VAGenWeb     



Worsham



Worsham -- This site served as the county seat when Prince Edward County was founded in 1754. The original courthouse constructed soon thereafter was replaced in 1776. The last courthouse here was built in 1832. The former debtors' prison built in 1787 and the old county clerk's office erected in 1855 are the only public buildings still standing. On 7 June 1791 President George Washington stopped here on his southern tour of the country. In 1872 the county seat moved to Farmville and this community was renamed Worsham.