ALLISONIA MINES

More than 50 years ago when the old iron mines at Rich Hill were being
worked night and day, when the charcoal furnaces at Boone and Max Creek
turned out thousands of tons of molten metal, when pig iron was shipped
down New river on keel bottom boats, the town of Allisonia was the scene
of thriving business activity. Named by David Shriver FORNEY for the
pioneer ALLISON family, this settlement has grown up largely since the
Civil war, but the ALLISONs, who owned a large tract of land and kept
over 100 slaves on their property, were among the earliest settlers
in the county.

Source: 1939 Centenial Edition of the SW Times Newspaper



Return to Pulaski Co. VA Website