DOCTORS AND DENTISTS recalled in 1927
In the same square on Valley Street between the railroad and
First Street, south, all of the earlier doctors had their offices.
They were Dr. C. E. C. PEYTON, Dr. John C. DARST, Dr. Jerry FARMER,
Dr. W. H. BRAMLITT and Dr. J. G. CROCKETT, dentist. Later, with
offices in this same square were Dr. C. D. KUNDEL, Dr. J. W. HOLMES,
and Dr. William FARMER, dentist. Dr. W. W. CHAFFIN had his first
office on Commerce Street only a short distance from Valley street.
Dr. PEYTON was the first doctor to come to this community, having
moved here in 1879. His practice during the earlier years extended
over a wide territory. He was the physician for the zinc works,
for the Altoona railroad and mines, for the Norfolk & Western
Railroad along its main line and on the North Carolina Branch
while that was under construction, and also for the various plants
as they first opened here. He was a very accomplished horse man
and always rude spirited animals. And in earlier days, when there
was nothing but a foot-log across the creek at the site of the
present Valley street bridge, it was no uncommon occurrence for
him to ride his horse across this foot-log, rather than go around
by the ford.
Source: SW Times Newspaper, February 22, 1927