NEWSPAPERS OF PULASKI
The first paper published in the county was The Virginia People,
published in Snowville in the autumn of 1870. It was a seven column
folio, Democratic in politics and devoted to the local interests
of Pulaski county. C.A. HEERMANS was the editor and proprietor.
Six months after its first appearance W.W. WYSOR purchased a half
interest and the paper appeared as published by the firm of Heermans
& Wysor. A year later Mr. WYSOR sold his interest to Mr. HOFFMAN,
and the firm name was changed to that of Heermans & Hoffman.
Early in 1872 Mr. HOFFMAN withdrew and Mr. HEERMANS removed the
office to Newbern, where he continued the publication of the paper,
enlarged to a nine column folio, until 1875, when it suspended.
Thus it remained until some time in 1876, when through the aid
of B.E. WATSON it was revived, and with varied fortunes continued
to make its appearance until April, 1881, when W.W. WYSOR and
R.L. GARDNER purchased it, and by the firm of Wysor & Gardener
it was published until the 12th of November, 1883, at which time
J.R. JORDAN bought the interest of GARDENER, and the firm name
was changed to that of Wysor & Jordan. The second paper which
made its appearance was the New River Bulletin, published at New
River Bridge by C.W. SCOTT, who began it in 1882. It was devoted
to the interests of Southwest Virginia in general and to those
of Pulaski in particular. The Southwest Times was "born"
in 1906 when The Southwest Publishing Co. was formed. It took
an additional eight years, however, before the newspaper's name
Through the years since 1870, when Charles A. HERRMANS published
that first newspaper, there have been at least nine other names
of publication in the county. Names of those newspapers include
The Virginia People, Pulaski People, The People, The Pulaski News,
The Pulaski Advertiser, The Pulaski Review, The News Review and
today's The Southwest Times. As changes occurred throughout Pulaski
County, the present Town of Pulaski was incorporated as Pulaski
City in 1886. That same year R.L. GARDNER and a Mr. PAYNE moved
the newspaper operations to Pulaski and another name change took
place...to The Pulaski News. In 1906, The Southwest Times came
into existence when The Southwest Publishing Company was formed.
George R. CHEVES was manager and editor during the time the publication
became a daily newspaper. In 1909, three years after The Southwest
Times was born, CHEVES purchased the News-Review which was consolidated
into The Southwest Times with the flag reading "The Southwest
Times and News-Review." Five years passed and in 1914 the
newspaper became "The Southwest Times" with S.D. BARTLE,
manager and editor. In 1980 Worrell Newspapers, Inc. (WNI) again
purchased The Southwest Times. When the agreement was signed,
Billy R. SMITH was named president and publisher of the Pulaski
paper. In the early 1990's, Worrell sold the newspaper to Christiansburg
buisinessman Wayne BROCKENBROUGH. He sold the paper in 1995 to
Fackelman Newspaper, the present owner. The current editor and
publisher of the Southwest Times is Mike WILLIAMS.