DRAPER (LUCRETIA)(TATE)

Draper was named for John DRAPER, brother of Mary Draper INGLES. They settled in Draper in the 1700's, after Ingles escaped from the Shawnee Indians and embarked on her journey home, now referred to as "The Long Way Home."
Draper is a small, but proud community. It contains a lot of history. At one time, Draper was one of three incorporated towns of Pulaski County. Although regular elections were not held, the town did have elected officials. The last town councilman was Mack CHUMBLEY, the last police chief was Norman BURNETT, and the last elected mayor of Draper was Frank GRAHAM.
The town of Draper, known prior to 1900 by Tate and Lucretia, grew up along N&W's Cripple Creek branch line. In 1924, Draper incorporated. A few years later, Lee Highway linking Pulaski and Wytheville bypassed the village and about the same time the train ceased to stop also.
Draper had a high school until 1953. The building is now used as an elementary school for Draper area children.
In 1873 Draper's Valley Academy was formed with Rev. George GILMER serving as principal.
Boys and girls attended the academy and were taught Primary English, Higher
English, Math, Modern Language, and Music.
Tuition for the school was $10 per month. This cost included room and board.
The academy remained in operation until after 1900.
Another part of Draper's history is an Inn called "The Red Horse Tavern." It was a popular place of entertainment where passers-by would stop for the night to enjoy a comfortable bed and a dinner of fresh catfish caught from the New River.
In 1832 the tavern had a very special guest, President Andrew JACKSON spent the night as he traveled from Nashville to Washington.
The tavern closed its doors to travelers around 1856.

Source: SW Time, Feb 28, 1988


Return to Pulaski Co. VA Website