The earliest settlement at Dublin occurred
in 1776 when Henry Jacob TROLLINGER and his family erected a cabin
just behind the house on old Route 11. The next resident was a
cabin built near the present firehouse in 1810 by Sarah TROLLINGER
and her husband, Stephen TRINKLE. At that time "the forest
around their home was unbroken and brush was so close that man
on horseback could not have been seen 20 yards from the cabin.
As late as 1850 "more than half of the county around Dublin
was in the woods."
What is now Dublin would probably still be in woods, crops and
pasture had it not been for the depot being located here in 1854.
John TROLLINGER and Stephen TRINKLE, brothers-in-law, gave three
acres of land in 1854 and construction immediately began on a
depot, round house, turn-table, wood house, switches and a well.
Passenger service began June 29, 1854 and freight began to be
handled on July 24, 1854.
On the morning of May 9, 1864 the Confederates met a vastly superior
enemy at Cloyd's farm. By early afternoon a defeated army was
streaming through Dublin toward the New River and safety. About
5:00 p.m. the enemy occupied the town and soon began to burn much
of it. The depot, and enormous wood yard which held locomotive
fuel, the telegraph office and poles, a water tank, the "immense"
warehouse containing supplies for the army, a hotel, and some
private homes went up in flames. After the enemy left essential
repairs to the track and bridges were made but materials and labor
were so scare a boxcar was equipped as a depot and used until
The depot erected in 1866 survived until it was burned in 1912.
A temporary depot was set up until the present building was erected
The town of Dublin was incorporated in 1871.
Source: Abstracts taken from an article written by Dr. H. Jackson