FAIRLAWN (North Radford)
Fairlawn, a residential community, got it's start after the
construction of Radford Army Ammunition Plant in 1941. While RAAP
was not the first industry to come to Fairlawn, it did prove to
be a building block for Fairlawn.
There were two or three houses being built on Oxford Avenue when
the arsenal first came, however a village of 300 houses was eventually
constructed in order to house the employees. There was not a lot
in Fairlawn, then called North Radford, when the arsenal was under
Among the businesses in Fairlawn at that time were St. Albans,
some gas stations, and small grocery stores, and two restaurants.
Fairlawn's business district in recent years has grown tremendously.
There is a wide variety of businesses located in the community,
from furniture shops to fast food restaurants, to department stores.